-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I have long subscribed to In-Fisherman. I've been getting numerous "Renew Now!" notices in the mail, offering me one full year for only $20.

The regular emails I get from the magazine say Subscribe now for only $9. So I waited until my subscription ended with the current issue, clicked on the Subscribe Now button in one of their emails, and learned that due to the pandemic (Huh?) I can get a one-year sub for just $6.

Their credit card system seems to be broken, so I checked the Bill Me Later box. That worked.

It's amazing that people will pay $20 without checking. Most of that goes to the subscription renewal service, not to the magazine. If you get this or any other magazine, be sure to compare the actual magazine subscription price to the renewal price.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
In-Fisherman became such a faint shadow of its former self at the point when Premedia bought it that I quit subscribing. I still go back and re-read the issues from its glory days. I have always liked Doug Stange and felt bad when he was left to keep things going when money replaced passion as the driving force.

Last edited by 5sdad; 09/01/20.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Outdoor Life and Field and Stream are doing the same things. They:
1. Switched to 4 issues per year
2. Switched to auto billing
3. Auto bill you at the full subscription rate
4. Have fliers in their magazine giving you two years for less that the annual rate

Quite frankly, it’s a bunch of crap. The magazine is only marginally better as a quarterly than it was prior to that, and it isn’t as good as it was in the 80’s and 90’s (remember when they included the regional inserts, Tap’s Tips, and produced 12 issues per year.

I have taken Field and Stream since the late 90’s and Outdoor Life almost as long. I told them to cancel (do not auto bill). It makes me sad as some of the content is good, but I really don’t like that they treat new subscribers better than long-standing customers. They aren’t any better than Direct TV and Sirrus/XM in that regard. They should just pick an annual price and charge that to everyone.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What do you guys do with your old magazines? I wish that I knew a kid that would be interested as that is what got me hooked on outdoor stuff at an early age when dad’s gun guy friend gave me his old magazines. As a child, I knew where dad’s friend kept his collection of Playboy magazines up at the cabin, so my reading list was somewhat diversified.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I give them to my kids.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Do the fish read it? laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I suspect that the fish read the digital version, because they always give me the middle fin if I try whatever magic lure was in the magazine. They may be "online" with the magazine, but not on line with me.

The part of I-F I enjoy the most is the monthly "North With Doc" humor piece. Incredibly inventive to come up with tales like that month after month for years. The articles are somewhat fanciful, IMO.

I save all my back issues and when they are at least five years old, I leave them in the doctor/dentist/barber waiting rooms. Just to be consistent, you know.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Only five Rock? laugh Do you black out the name, and address? laugh

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (02bfishn, 1lessdog, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 64 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,344
Posts18,468,746
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.