Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O

Shown below are a couple of knives that were once owned by Robert(PETE) Petersen founder of Guns&Ammo. They were given to a long time Peterson employee by Petersen during the employees service to the company and later purchased by me. Offered to share the photos with JUD as he was looking for some in a prior thread. He will attach my photos to this thread.

The Loveless with pre ban Elephant ivory scales was made in the mid 1960's. It is one of a few he made with Ivory scales prior to 1970.Value?

The Chappel with equal or better workmanship than the Loveless was made in the mid 1980's. Value? GW

Last edited by oldtimer303; 08/31/20.

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Last edited by Judman; 08/31/20.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good chattin with ya the other night GW, cool story and a badass knife!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
And the caribou knife..
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]nearest service station to me now

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That is cool.

I’d be curious to see what folks say on the value of the Loveless.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would too Dave, sky’s probably the limit on that one..

Ain’t easy havin pals.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Hard to see the shrinkage but knife looks to be in very good condition. Lawndale Stamp on just this alone I would say $8k to $10k. Maybe some historical value added from where it came from if you can prove that.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you want an accurate price I would contact. Better pictures would be needed as well.

https://exquisiteknives.com

Sorry I attached the wrong link. This is the good link

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 08/31/20.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Hard to see the shrinkage but knife looks to be in very good condition. Lawndale Stamp on just this alone I would say $8k to $10k. Maybe some historical value added from where it came from if you can prove that.

Not sure if the employee that it came from is still alive, will check. Have a Blackjack dive knife that came from the same seller. Apparently a presentation gift to Bob Loveless as it has his name engraved on the hilt and then was gold plated over, condition is excellent GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I’ve seen Bob’s knives priced in the 6k range that didn’t have pre-ban ivory handles. Wow....

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G

Agree

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O
If you want an accurate price I would contact. Better pictures would be needed as well.

https://exquisiteknives.com

Sorry I attached the wrong link. This is the good link

Sent him a message and currently no reply. GW

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I’ve seen Bob’s knives priced in the 6k range that didn’t have pre-ban ivory handles. Wow....

There are some that are well over $10K without Ivory Double Nudes get you there in a hurry. I might be wrong but I don't remember seeing a Lawndale Hunter/Utility going much over $6K to 7K outside of an Integral, Chute, Big Bear, or very special limited type such as Pre-Ban Ivory or engraving.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Godogs57

There are some that are well over $10K without Ivory Double Nudes get you there in a hurry. I might be wrong but I don't remember seeing a Lawndale Hunter/Utility going much over $6K to 7K outside of an Integral, Chute, Big Bear, or very special limited type such as Pre-Ban Ivory or engraving.

I’ve seen the same exorbitant prices at the Blade Show in Atlanta...

Don’t think the guy with the display is really interested in selling any. Seems he just wants folks to ohh and ahh at his display but, as usual, I could be wrong. I’ve been to every Blade Show and have yet to see him sell a single piece.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
In my experiences with buying and selling Loveless, Early Randall's, Fowler's, and Moran's it's a very small niche market. Buyers are looking for that special piece. There are very few new collectors that just want or are looking to buy a standard model. So they certainly don't fly off the selves, unless you have something special that collectors are looking to complete their collection. Back in the 90's I could buy, sell fairly easy because prices were much lower and supply was more readily obtainable. Today collectors have those special pieces locked up and even the standard models are less frequently on the market. So that drives up the prices on standard models that guys just aren't willing to pay anymore.

Then take into account that we have makers that can make a better show piece or a better user model with better materials, heat treat, etc. So that stalls out the market. Guys that got stuck buying a Loveless at or after Bob's death don't want to lose the money they have tied up in whatever pieces they have. So like you said they are asking unrealistic prices and the knives just sit on display. My opinion is every serious knife enthusiast should own at least one Loveless. Not because they are anything above others but because of the history and what Bob did for the knife world.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 09/02/20.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my loveless is not for sale, no no ever! I got mine in 6 weeks when the back order was years in the making. he got pissed when told a broker said he quit making knives !!!!! made just what I wonted and even gave me a way below price deal for letting him know. cool man to talk to and deal with.

O
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
O

What style and handle material? Been great to have extra cash at that time and bought a few for investments. Mind sharing what year yours was purchased and the cost. Thanks GW

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mine is the drop point hunter, ivory micarta, nickel silver guard I got it early 1976 ,$375. believe that or not !

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by domit
mine is the drop point hunter, ivory micarta, nickel silver guard I got it early 1976 ,$375. believe that or not !

So you have a Riverside Knife? in 1976 a Standard Drop Point was roughly $175.00 +$20 Single guard in Nickel Silver. Micarta was standard. Is your knife a nude?

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 09/02/20.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

497 members (160user, 17CalFan, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 222ND, 1Longbow, 39 invisible), 1,770 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,230
Posts18,447,730
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.