Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The New VX-3i has replaced the other previous VX series..Supposed to be better glass etc..also there is a New Freedom Line to replace the VX-II and I
Any thoughts or comparisons guys??

Lots of BIG BORES...600 is my Favorite but have BIGGER!💥
GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Not qualified to intelligently comment since it's been years since I bought a new Leupold. But I spent about an hour and a half cruising used scopes on ebay on Sunday, it's absolutely shocking the prices asked and gotten on the older Leupolds you mentioned. It seems there is a hell of a lot of demand for the old models. Now I don't have a clue whether guys actually prefer the older models from a performance standpoint...or if it has to do with the prices of the newer offerings. Just my own opinion, but I was always satisfied with a variable that only went up 3X, I didn't really feel I needed a scope to go 4X or 5X, especially since the price tag went way up too, for a feature I really didn't need. But then I am one of those old duffers that is perfectly happy with a 4X or 6X fixed power.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
H
H
on a pod cast, leupold people said that todays leupolds entry level scopes are better than the old VX3 models 20 years ago.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by haff202
on a pod cast, leupold people said that todays leupolds entry level scopes are better than the old VX3 models 20 years ago.

I agree. I have two new (2016) VX-1 scope - a 2-7x33 & 3-9x40. Compared to Vari-X11 & Vari-X111 of twenty years ago there is no comparison. I really noticed it when I shot rifles fitted with my VX-1 2-7x33 and Vari-X11 2-7x33 recently, the newer version leaves the older version for dead in every way.

Last edited by dingo; 09/01/20.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
The NEWEST is the VX-Freedoms and the VX-3i
These are the 1" tube series
The 30mm series is much more money and serious HD glass..

Lots of BIG BORES...600 is my Favorite but have BIGGER!💥
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do the new VX-1s have clicks on the turrents or are they still friction?

NRA Life Member

"You might as well be wrong, as be right and not know it"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Clicks.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I believe the older Vari X series are more durable, that is where Leupold made there name. I do believe the new glass is better and coatings.better also. People are buying older scopes up because price and durability. IMHO. I love Leupolds, every rifle of mine has one.. Full warranty for life on scope.. I believe the LPS models have the best glass, glass was made by Leica to try and take over scope market. Engineers shared no expense when developing this scope. Built like a tank and super glass. Good shooting

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

15 or so 4X and 6X M8’s here.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I still use my Leupold Plainsman 2.5 fixed on a lever gun. No issues, but Leupold said I could send in for cleaning if I wished.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ORFish
I still use my Leupold Plainsman 2.5 fixed on a lever gun. No issues, but Leupold said I could send in for cleaning if I wished.

Send it in. They will try to replace it with a new cheaper freedom line one. They won't give your old one back..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
I believe the older Vari X series are more durable, that is where Leupold made there name. I do believe the new glass is better and coatings.better also. People are buying older scopes up because price and durability. IMHO. I love Leupolds, every rifle of mine has one.. Full warranty for life on scope.. I believe the LPS models have the best glass, glass was made by Leica to try and take over scope market. Engineers shared no expense when developing this scope. Built like a tank and super glass. Good shooting

I think this is spot on

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Might have to check them out again. Vortex has got my business the last 2 guns

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I've had a vx I forever. Its a great scope but it doesn't look as good as the newer stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I read somewhere Leupold upgraded all their glass in 2012, that's when the VX2 came out. I read where the VX2 at that time was equal to the older VX111/Vx3. And the prices for them on ebay seem to support that.

I do know for a fact the over the last 5 yrs or so my close up vision had changed and all of a sudden I was seeing double crosshairs on my older VX3 and 3i. The older scopes had a eyepiece that you would focus and set the lock ring. I had the eyepieces screwed out to max. Then I tried a VX2 with the focus without the lockring and it made a huge difference. I've also replaced several of my Leups with Swaro Z3 and those focus OK for me.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I've only had the older VX3 model, but it was a great lightweight scope with very good image quality and great eye relief. If the newer ones are better, I would be very impressed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
From the original Vari-x, to the VX-roman numeral, to the VX-1,2 and 3's, what happened was the prior version top line became the middle tier next line so features such as full multicoating or click adjustments, on say, a VX-III became standard on a VX-2.
The best new features went into the new VX-3 for example.

Where the modern VX-line improved were in the lens coatings, eye pieces, the internals of the scope have been darkened to reduce flair, matched indexed lenses, click adjustments throughout the line as well as fully multicoated optics and improved erectors.

The VX Freedom line offers something very similar to the prior VX-2 scope.

I have used multiple generation models of Leupolds, recently purchased a new Freedom and have a VX-3 that has a few years on it on my go-to rifle. Both are nice and lightweight, brighter than older models with plenty of eye relief. Easy to mount.

If cutting to the chase in terms of brightness I would choose my Freedom over an older Vari-x III.

Competition over the last 20 years in this market has made features and performance significantly more available and affordable.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one new 1.5 X5 given instead of repair. The rest are older M8 4X scopes. The fixed power older Leupolds are tough and work on my pre-64 Model 70s.
Also have both Leupold and Lyman Alaskans. That may reflect my still hunting approach.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Did a gunshow over the weekend and spotted a leupold Vari X llc 3x9 used but nice condition. He had a 150 bucks on it. He takes cc's but I like cash. I asked him what kinda cash to buy it he said 125 I said sold. Way I see it is if it's screwed leupold will replace it either way I win.
Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
I have a lifetime supply of M8 gloss scopes. Really don’t need any others.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

622 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,257
Posts18,448,126
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.