Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So I found what I think was a great buy on a TC Encore.

Comes with a 270 barrel and a 50cal muzzleloader barrel.

It has a walnut stock. I'd like to replace it. Not a huge fan of plastic. So thinking maybe a laminate. Who makes good ones that'll bolt right on? Does the Flex Tech actually do anything to reduce felt recoil?? Open to suggestions but just not a fan of plastic..

As far as the muzzleloader goes.....what do I need to shoot the thing?? I build my own flintlock Longrifles. I've never touched anything other than a flintlock thought.

Sounds like CCI 209 mags and Blackhorn 209 are pretty much king? I can figure out projectiles.

What's needed to put the primer on and take it off? Do the primers go in anything? Or they simple go on as is?

Loaded post. I know. Im excited and don't have a ton of time.

We have an early doe/bear muzzleloader season in mid October I'd like to be ready for. I think the Encore will be small enough to allow me to still carry my bow. Hard to carry a 5+ft longrifle and a bow...last year of course a shooter buck walked by at 8yds when I had my flintlock lol.

I'm thinking the 50cal barrel and a 20ga turkey barrel will be nice. Don't need the 270 barrel so I will send it down the road.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Go online and download a manual. Pretty simple, but you need to keep anti-sieze lube on the breechplug or you'll have trouble. That's pretty much standard for all inlines.

Blackhorn 209 is great, but has a couple of quirks regarding the projectiles that work well. Again, go online and read the info from the maker. You also need to keep the flash channel clear. Get drill bits of the proper size (you may need more than one because some breechplugs have two different size passages). A pin vice makes it easier to use the bits. The primer buildup is tough stuff. If you want to use projectiles outside of the types recommended for BH, use BP, 777, Pyrodex, or one of the other new ones.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Never used Blackhorn 209, I've always used Pyrodex and Triple 7. Good advice above to download a manual. You shouldn't need any special tools for using primers unless you have really big fingers.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx guys!

I guess I was overthinking things.

Blackhorn seems pretty expensive.....but seems like it's the favored substitute. For all the more I will shoot it, I might go with it provided the gun shoots it straight.

Have a bunch of Thor's fit for another barrel. Hopefully they fit this one.

Seems like the flextech stock is a hit. Will probably get one for muzzleloader and 20ga configuration and probably a nice wood or laminate for a rifle setup.

I think it'll be a fun gun to have in the closet.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Avoid Revolution Stocks like the plague. They feel like fat 2x4's.....
Boyd's stocks are the only way to fly......
Plastic, however, cam be cool.....

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by John_Boy; 09/04/20.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I think the Boyds are too thick.
Painted plastic the way to go IMHO.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I've read that about Revolution stocks.

Will probably try Boyds. If I think it's too chunky, I have rasps that'll cure that. I'm not afraid to work on a stock. It is coming with a factory walnut stock. Like all TC walnut stocks, it'll probably look better refinished. I despise whatever finish they used. And I'm not sure if it's coming with a ML forend or not. So looking at immediate stock options to get the ML ready for the season. I know it's coming with 2 barrels and scopes on them...didn't think to ask about forends. No reason to now. I will find out when it comes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
May want to take a look here:

E.Arthur Brown Co.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Only if you can wait til the cows come home. My 260 Rem this year was out of stock when I ordered it. Eight months later. They do good work but SLOW.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B3

Welcome to the world of encores. Below find some useful sites for barrels and parts and pieces. The two upgrades most do out of the gate is a trigger job to lower the pull and an oversized hinge pin to ensure everything is nice and tight

http://www.edstc.com/

https://matchgrademachine.com/product-category/encore-rifle-barrels/

http://www.hausofarms.com/

https://www.bellmtcs.com/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 204guy, 338reddog, 358WCF, 36 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,156
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.