Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
jar Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heck yes CUT IT ! its people like you that make the ones left worth more ! BUBBA !

teach your children well , ride hard, shoot straight, be involved!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jar
Heck yes CUT IT ! its people like you that make the ones left worth more ! BUBBA !

I feel the same way-----untouched, they are quite desirable and worth way more than they were new!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hah!
Reading this reminded me that I have two rifle/shotgun combo 24 guns (rather than just one).

- .22/410 with Tenite stock

- .22Hornet/12 ga Turkey gun with an 18 inch .45-70 barrel insert which is surprisingly accurate with 300 grain bullets. The Hornet is lethal out to 150 yards on everything from prairie dogs to coyotes and wild turkey.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DannyLandrum
If you such a pussey that 4 inches mean a lot to you, go ahead and butcher it.

Lol. ok then. What kind of forum is this?

Pussy man, Pussy! Spelling counts on such a delicate subject!

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Had one... tried my damnedest to like it as is was supposed to be perfect for me, in theory. 22lr over 20ga. Hated the damn thing. Awful trigger with mediocre accuracy. This coming from a hunter that loves using a BBF, drilling or combo gun. I genuinely wanted to love it but had to send it packing. There are better mousetraps to be had.

Semper Fi

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I would not cut it down. I WOULD cut it into little pieces and re cycle it.

Lefty

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
CUT THE DAMM THING . WHO CARES..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it were mine, ABSOLUTELY NO WAY!

But it's your rifle/shotgun, do as you want.

BUT:

The value for resale will drop significantly. The 20 gauge will be good for bedroom range shots, maybe half again as far.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have had a few of these, dozens that is. you will not gain anything cutting it and WILL lose alot.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Haha. I have a camper that I bought to re chamber maggie...

This is Im wanting on its history before I ruin it. Its a VERY low SN...

Plus a early 22M/410 is a thinner smaller receiver. Tagts really want I want. Same as my 22/410 thin small light. My 22/410 is too nice to alter.

CW

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a 24DL that was cut down to about 18.25” by the previous owner. They had cut it down and apparently lost interest. I found and had new front sight and rear peep attached to the receiver and the shotgun barrel reamed/tapped for choke tubes. It’s a great little gun if you want a small package. But the combo puts slugs very far above the 22mag poi. I don’t think I would ever cut down an original 24 inch barrel. I would install a peep. The little gun will shoot 1.75” groups at 100 yards with the hornady vmax 22mag loads.

If you add up the cost to have the modifications done and the lost value at resale you could probably afford to buy a Chiappa Double Badger that adds double triggers although is not as well finished in my opinion.

If you want lightweight and small, one of the single shot Rossi rifles in a pistol caliber (357, 44, 45) that were built on the .410 sized frame are dandy chopped down to 16.5” with a peep sight. Mine is 357 Rechambered to 357 Maximum. With a few old hot shot capsule loads, wadcutter, and nearly 35 rem level Max loads it can do a lot!

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by jfkid
I have a 24DL that was cut down to about 18.25” by the previous owner. They had cut it down and apparently lost interest. I found and had new front sight and rear peep attached to the receiver and the shotgun barrel reamed/tapped for choke tubes. It’s a great little gun if you want a small package. But the combo puts slugs very far above the 22mag poi. I don’t think I would ever cut down an original 24 inch barrel. I would install a peep. The little gun will shoot 1.75” groups at 100 yards with the hornady vmax 22mag loads.

If you add up the cost to have the modifications done and the lost value at resale you could probably afford to buy a Chiappa Double Badger that adds double triggers although is not as well finished in my opinion.

If you want lightweight and small, one of the single shot Rossi rifles in a pistol caliber (357, 44, 45) that were built on the .410 sized frame are dandy chopped down to 16.5” with a peep sight. Mine is 357 Rechambered to 357 Maximum. With a few old hot shot capsule loads, wadcutter, and nearly 35 rem level Max loads it can do a lot!

This causes excessive and faster muzzle jump, which makes the gun print excessively high. Recoil starts when the slug first moves.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not just no, hell no.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I purchased a 24 J- DL a few years ago from a local gun store that was previously cut back to 18" (by some moron) and needed a new stock and trigger guard. It still shoots fine but as the others have said the value was less ($200) which is why I decided to buy it as a project gun. It's looking good now with a new walnut stock and steel trigger guard. I even retrofitted the camper butt plate and trap door. Turned out fine and the shot pattern is ok out to 30 paces. Thinking of having it threaded for chokes. Very handy length if that is what you want and you have no desire to resell it.

Last edited by UncleAlps; 09/02/20.

God Bless America
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd hate to see you cut it but it's your gun. My suggestion if you do, is to have a gunsmith recrown the rifle barrel and thread the shotgun barrel for choke tubes.

Last edited by 4570fan; 11/21/20.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 16 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.