Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Do you walk a long way to your stand and get sweaty feet and then they get cold or do you hop off your 4 wheeler right into your stand?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Come 7:00 most evenings I watch that Mountain Man show on TV and the two guys who they feature from Alaska, Marty and Morgan, are both wearing those white military Bunny Boots. That tells me something about cold weather footwear. Smart Wool socks, drying the boots out every night and good boots have done it for me.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I ride a quad to my stand which is only 1/4 mile from the house, but up a big hill. I don't work up a sweat on the quad. I have my mother's sweaty feet and my father's cold feet. A bad combination!

Regarding Windfall's comment, those boots were used in Korea, I think, and were called Mickey Mouse boots. My feet would sweat like mad in those all-rubber boots. One would think we have better technology by now. Also - those guys aren't sitting in a stand.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I carry a small fleece blanket in my pack and wrap my feet with it. Battery socks didn't work for me. If it gets really cold justI sit in one of my box stands, most have buddy heaters in them.

Life is good live it while you can.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Try using one size larger boots if possible.

The antiperspirant thing might give you some relief,find and use some with no scent.

IC B2

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I carry a small fleece blanket in my pack and wrap my feet with it. Battery socks didn't work for me. If it gets really cold justI sit in one of my box stands, most have buddy heaters in them.

Same here about the fleece blanket

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have neuropathy issues with my feet which can sometimes feel cold to the touch in July. A lot of the go to methods of sock materials and layering along with good boots don't always work. I'm a die hard ice fisherman as well. At the first onset of my feet getting cold I insert a pair of these and am usually good to go for the duration of my activity.

https://www.amazon.com/Grabber-FWMLES-Foot-Warmers-pair/dp/B0002EET42

Last edited by fishnpbr; 09/02/20.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

I don’t change boots in the woods or carry in blankets, electric socks, chemical heaters or anything else. Too much, when I have to start doing that I’m done.

For now I use Cabelas Meindl Ultralight Hunters, 800 mg. Thinsulate and Irish Setter Elk Trackers 1000 gr. Thinsulate on alternate days. Smart Wool undersock and a medium weight wool oversock. Even after just sitting all day socks and the lining of boots may actually be wet (or damp) and one will have cold feet in an hour the next morning if wearing the same socks and boots as the day before. Silly to start the day in 20* temps without completely dry boots and socks.
If I’m sitting I wiggle my toes on the half hour to prevent them from getting cold, much more effective than wiggling toes after they’re frozen.

One’s feet will inevitably get cold, perfect opportunity for an hour long, midday still hunt to warm them up before heading back to the stand.

No matter what, cold feet are a given when sitting on a mountain in December.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use bunny boots when it's about 10 degrees or lower other than that it's just toe warmers in icemans on stand. Battery operated ones work good for my father but they are the newer generation.

"Jerry is dead, Phish suck time to get a job "
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Our drill instructor made us do knee bends if anyone complained of being cold.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Our coach made us do squat thrusts all period for not bringing back a report card the next day.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I wear Baffin boots when it's cold out, I haven't found anything warmer

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
When it gets really cold I use Mickey Mouse boots.

Clunky as hell, but warm.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I watched a show a long time ago and they said take off your boots and put those chemical foot warmers in just the boot blankets with wool socks . said it took care of cold feet for him and he was in Canada.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
PM sent.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
All good ideas, but I was looking for reviews on electric foot warmers. I will buy some of those chemical foot warmer insoles. I have tried toe warmers, but they are not enough when my whole foot is cold.

I might be able to get away with smaller boots that fit inside the boot covers I bought last year. I need smaller feet!

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
I ride a quad to my stand which is only 1/4 mile from the house, but up a big hill. I don't work up a sweat on the quad. I have my mother's sweaty feet and my father's cold feet. A bad combination!

Regarding Windfall's comment, those boots were used in Korea, I think, and were called Mickey Mouse boots. My feet would sweat like mad in those all-rubber boots. One would think we have better technology by now. Also - those guys aren't sitting in a stand.

Even the Army knows they suck. This from a guy who had to carry them in his ruck in the winter - no one ever wore them, but Danners were real popular.

Originally Posted by ArmyTimes https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2018/07/26/the-army-wants-to-replace-the-mickey-mouse-cold-weather-boots/
“The current Extreme Cold Weather Boot (ECWB) has remained largely unmodified since the 1960s and utilizes outdated technology and manufacturing processes which are no longer available within the U.S.,” according to the notice.

“Additionally, the ECWB is heavy, bulky, and difficult to pack/carry when conducting dismounted operations,” according to the notice.

The white, bulky boot provides a vacuum-type seal that maintains foot warmth in temperatures down to -60 Fahrenheit. So much so that troops often soak their socks with sweat while standing in banks of snow.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
All good ideas, but I was looking for reviews on electric foot warmers. I will buy some of those chemical foot warmer insoles. I have tried toe warmers, but they are not enough when my whole foot is cold.

I might be able to get away with smaller boots that fit inside the boot covers I bought last year. I need smaller feet!

Put the “hot hand” chem heater on your ankle if your entire foot is cold.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If your feet are that sweaty, you may want to carry a pair of socks to put on at or near the stand. Under Armour had a nice cold gear sock that i like to use in long walks in. When i get there, i change into a pair of the cabelas merino wader socks. I wear 800gram rubber boots. The under armour socks i am talking about are all black with a gold colored UA logo, I have had them for a long time and they may not still make them. Unless they have cheapened them, the cabelas merino wader socks are top notch.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Buy a $7.oo pair of poly pro SOCK LINERS and a QUALITY pair of Smartwool socks. Your troubles will be over...

You're welcome.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,512 guests, and 779 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,435
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.