Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My buddy has this awesome scope leveling tool that makes sure the rifle is level to the scope, then you can level the scope to match. It works awesome and I want one for myself. Only problem is, I can't find one. There has to be more of them. There is no markings on this one what so ever. Best scope leveler I have ever used.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Help!

Thanks,

Todd

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
How does that make sure the scope is level? Do you look through the scope and line the crosshair up with something?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TheKid
How does that make sure the scope is level? Do you look through the scope and line the crosshair up with something?

It levels the rifle scope combo, then you put a separate level on a flat spot on the scope or line your crosshairs up with a plum bob that is down range once this tells you your rifle scope combo is level.

Todd

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
How accurate is the bubble? And how do you keep the sliding halves perfectly aligned?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The angle cuts on the scope half and barrel half have to be perfectly square to the level as well as each other. Very easy to do with a milling machine or 3d printer. It does not guarantee that the rifle and scope sit square in the stock but it does put the scope directly inline with the barrel of the rifle. Then match the crosshairs up with a plum bob or a level on the elevation turret. The plumb bob is the most accurate way. Then, once those two feats are accomplished, you match a clamp on scope level to this tools level and you have a perfectly level scope. It works awesome.

Todd

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Where did he get his ? It's very possible it's a one off, custom made by a talented/skilled machinist.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
He got it off the internet circa 2005-2006. It works well enough, it will take off if the world wide web ever finds out about them.

Todd

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Have it duplicated, market it, get rich. If you don't somebody else will.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Over years of using various tools involving small spirit levels, that supposedly made sure you scope was absolutely square with the rifle's bore, that SMALL spirit levels aren't accurate enough.

Plus, in most scopes there's no guarantee that using one of their "flats" that the flat is square with the reticle--or adjustments.

The only way to really find out is to shoot the rifle/scope combination.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have a plastic device that straps on a flat of the rifle with rubber bands, and it has two white cards that stick up on both sides of the scope with horizontal black lines on them to compare to the crosshairs. It works pretty well after you get the hang of it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
pass the reticle tru, and hold the fluff......

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I don't want to argue the opinion on if this works or not for me. I know it works for me. Might not for you. I would just like to find one of these. They work great for me. And as said, lining up the cross hairs to a plum bob (550 cord with a heavy weight on the bottom so gravity lines up the cord perfectly) that is tacked to a target down range is the most accurate way to align the crosshairs to what this tool's level tells me is level to the gun.

If you have seen one before or know of where I could find one, I'd love to own one.

Thanks,

Todd

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Seems like Brownell’s used to sell them, if memory serves.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have one. Brownells sells them.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you! I have one on order!

Made my whole day.

Todd

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm not sure the need for the level in the device, or the need for a plumb bob down range. When placed properly on the scope bell and rifle barrel, theoretically, it give you a vertical line through both azes. Then, just look through the scope and rotate it until the vertical cross hair is lined up in the slot. Seems to me if you could secure it, you should be able to level the cross hairs regardless of the cant of the gun.

Perry
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
You mean like the Reticle-Tru?.....

Still need a plumb line or such, for mounting a scope level.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by reivertom
I have a plastic device that straps on a flat of the rifle with rubber bands, and it has two white cards that stick up on both sides of the scope with horizontal black lines on them to compare to the crosshairs. It works pretty well after you get the hang of it.

I have one too. It's a Segway, and Grafs tossed one at no charge into my box some years back. Works great, as long as you have a flat on the scope base for it to sit. Rails are perfect.

A 6" steel rule held against the ocular and lined up across the bars makes it easier to check the alignment. I also check the verticle if I can find a good center line like the firing pin sticking through the shroud. Scope caps are a terrible reference for alignment.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by huntsman22
pass the reticle tru, and hold the fluff......

This ^^^^^

The Reticle-Tru is far more effective than any of the devices using a bubble, or that assume any flat part of a scope is actually square to the reticle, or requires the rifle to be level. Instead, it aligns the reticle with the center of the rifle's action.

That said, a LOT of shooters see any reticle as being "crooked" because they don't hold rifles level. I have known quite a few shooters who consistently mount scopes at a certain angle, because the scopes then appear level to them when aiming. One of these was a very experienced hunter and competitive shooter, who knew exactly what he was doing. Another, however, did not--until he actually looked through a perfectly squared scope on another person's rifle, and declared it was "crooked."

Saw this again in a local gun shop just yesterday. A guy had brought a new rifle and scope to the shop's gunsmithing department to have the scope mounted, and came in to pick it up. When he shouldered the rifle and looked through the scope, he declared it was crooked. However, his son (who looked to be in his late teens) also shouldered the rifle and said it looked level to him. The difference was the father was pretty "stout,"and the son was not. Consequently the father's stout shoulder tended to tilt the rifle when he aimed through the scope. I could even see this plainly from across the room.

The gunsmith had seen this many times, but instead of trying to tell the father he was FOS, said: "It's your rifle, and you're going to be shooting it. I'm happy to make it feel right for you." Which of course involved mounting the scope "crooked."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1minute, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,090 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,744
Posts18,457,732
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.