Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
the 9 sure is ubiquitous, but one wonders if the 45ACP or the 10 might be more effective in something like the CMMG? Primary use would be to have at the home.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a nine, 10 mm would be bad ass

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I'd do a 10mm...more range if you need it.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
.45ACP is really nice suppressed.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'd go with whatever chambering you use most in your CCW handguns.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp
the 9 sure is ubiquitous, but one wonders if the 45ACP or the 10 might be more effective in something like the CMMG? Primary use would be to have at the home.

I kinda wanted a 45acp because I have a lot of components for 45 acp but a lot of the pistol ar's are not reliable with hollow point ammo so i blew them plans off for awhile.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I, for the life of me, don't understand the allure of the "AR pistol". Exactly what does it bring to the table that a handgun doesn't?

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton

I, for the life of me, don't understand the allure of the "AR pistol". Exactly what does it bring to the table that a handgun doesn't?

Kaiser Norton

More accurate at further Distances, quicker target acquisition which means more rounds on target In close or further out, High-capacity magazines, Barrel length 5.5 to? But it’s still a pistol caliber. I’m sure people will chime in with their likes and dislikes.

Last edited by BamBam; 09/02/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Kaiser Norton

Kind of my thought too, at least in pistol cartridges.

An AR pistol in 5.56 - I get that. Significantly better terminal ballistics than a regular pistol. Like way way better.

9mm 45mm , 10mm in a PCC - I’m sure you can shoot better/accurate/faster for sure. But is still a POS compared to a 5.56, none of the pistol cartridges are going fast enough to much else besides drill holes.

I don’t really get it.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Kaiser Norton

i was like minded, then i built a 300bo 8.5. i carry it everywhere as protection from wolves,bear and the odd homosapien that is dumber then the wildlife.
the darn thing has just about replaced my 1911. just me. the thing is very lite at 5.5lbs +/- with a 30 round mag. with a dot sight its really quick and i can stretch my range by 50 yards if need be.
have half a dozen guys trying to buy it off me but think i will keep it. unless i build another chambering i like better.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by SeanD

Kaiser Norton

Kind of my thought too, at least in pistol cartridges.

An AR pistol in 5.56 - I get that. Significantly better terminal ballistics than a regular pistol. Like way way better.

9mm 45mm , 10mm in a PCC - I’m sure you can shoot better/accurate/faster for sure. But is still a POS compared to a 5.56, none of the pistol cartridges are going fast enough to much else besides drill holes.

I don’t really get it.

For me In a pistol carbine I would not exceed 8 inches in Barrel length. An A.R. pistol in 5.56 is a rifle cartridge completely different animal. I would not run a 5.56 in anything less than a 10.5 inch barrel, reliability issues. Not to say that shorter will not run I know people have had luck with slightly shorter lengths.And I agree that a pistol caliber is a POS compared to 5.56. But we are talking about pistol calibers. A lot of very important people worldwide past and present including our own president Have security details with pistol caliber carbine’s, Full auto but pistol caliber nonetheless.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
A 5.7 carbine would be nice.

I always saw the Ruger carbine in 9mm but never 40 cal. Bad timing I guess.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have an AR pistol in 350 Legend and love it. 7.5 inch barrel with a brace. Accurate, recoil is fine, gets looked under the truck seat. Not a primarily carry weapon, but there if you need it and have time to retrieve it. The best option for a pistol caliber weapon I like is the MP5 clones and I have a PTR 9KT with a brace. Put in a backpack, 4 mags equals 120 rounds. 5.5 pounds with one mag.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

Kaiser Norton

In 5.56, it's a compact package that can defeat soft body armor, and of course make accurate hits further out.

Obviously, you can't really compare it to a Glock or similar for concealment.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
The 9mm AR pistols only attribute is that it is easier for some people to shoot better than a normal pistol. There are some people who cannot tolerate the recoil of a 12 gauge, not do they have the hand strength to hold a pistol well, let alone see iron sights with eye problems. The ar 9mm pistol with a red dot and a light should be a big aid to those types of people.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F

Kaiser Norton

Does fun count?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Frayser

Kaiser Norton

Does fun count?

I have a SIG, MPX 7.5 inch barrel in 9 mm, I run it with a can. Every time anyone shoots that gun the first thing they say is man that was fun, Especially when you hitting steel.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've been impressed with the .357SIG round at longer than typical handgun distances. If extended range is the goal.
But 5.56, 10MM and .357SIG are loud.

J
jimmyp Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
the 45 is always a few decibels lower.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple 5.7, a 9 and a 45 and like them all, but a 10 would be nice too! I spoke to one of the owners not long ago and they have a lot of new ideas. My 5.7 upper on my m16 is really my new favorite!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

362 members (1_deuce, 264mag, 348srfun, 219DW, 17CalFan, 303savage, 45 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,127
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.