Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
WTF and Jim,

Thanks for the info, which tends to confirm my theory about taste-buds.

That is sorta weird, but not the first time I've heard it.

I'm curious why that is, wonder if anyone knows. At least I've not heard an explanation.

DF

BP-B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
meat of the gods!!!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
WTF and Jim,

Thanks for the info, which tends to confirm my theory about taste-buds.

That is sorta weird, but not the first time I've heard it.

I'm curious why that is, wonder if anyone knows. At least I've not heard an explanation.

DF
Found this in Britannica:
for those cilantro-haters for whom the plant tastes like soap, the issue is genetic. These people have a variation in a group of olfactory-receptor genes that allows them to strongly perceive the soapy-flavored aldehydes in cilantro leaves."

Taste "buds" vary from person to person, the reason for my theory. Have eaten at a few meals where ALMOST everybody really liked antelope meat, but one could not hack it. Have never tried to analyze this chemically--though Dr, Valerius Geist, the well-known Canadian wildlife biologist, claims that rutting pronghorn bucks taste bad due to increased albumen in the meat, and in his book ANTELOPE COUNTRY lists several complex recipes involving red wine and other stuff to counteract this. But neither I not Eileen or most of the other experience pronghorn hunters I know have detected any significant taste-change in rutting pronghorn bucks, as long as the meat's cooled down quickly.

Thus I suspect Geist is one of those people who perhaps has an "albumen receptor" in their taste buds, as cilantro haters have an aldehyde receptor. But have no proof,, obviously because I have never had the opportunity (or knowledge) to perform such a test. But do know several people who absolutely cannot stand either cilantro or pronghorn meat.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 07/31/20.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've been eating goats for many eons it seems, I gut and pull hide back in field to start cooling, haul em home hang over night, process next days. Mine are all killed within 40 miles of home so I never worry about spoi!ing them. Most gets turned into burger mixed with beef and jerky on the smoker, back straps and a bunch of steaks. Some does taste a tad of sage, but since I add spices its nothing to me. If you get one that feeds on ha, alfalfa on ranches they do taste better. When you skin it don't let any hide smell bother you, its not what it's going to taste like. I take a5 gal jug of fresh water and a soup can to wash the inside, helps to cool a tad.

Did I make you cry......boooo hooo, life goes on.
R
R
Originally Posted by barm
I have never tried pronghorn antelope. How does it taste? Is it similar to any other meats? Any tricks to preparing it?

I don't have any to prepare, but I am looking at possibly doing a hunt and I want to know what I am getting into.

Antelope meat soup tastes nice, it is just like a strawberry flavor whereas the regular meat is vanilla flavor.

The Antelope meat seems tougher, and some part of antelope meat is very tender (if cooked well) like the beef part of the antelope meat. I like the taste of antelope's kidney and tongue as anyone else tried this part?

I like the taste of the lap of the antelope meat to the regular meat we buy at supermarkets.

Like I said earlier the Antelope meat is just like another kind of taste of meat, it is still meat.

Thanks.

Rory.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I agree with the importance of getting it skinned and in a cooler quickly when the weather is warm but really don't think immediate skinning is necessary with cooler temps. I prefer to leave the hide on till I get them home and can skin them in a clean, controlled environment. As long as it is cool (preferably with a breeze) and has a good chance of getting into the 30s at night I let them stay unskinned, lying on their backs or hanging up. If warmer, I take blocks or bags of ice and stuff the chest cavity. Has worked well and I see know difference in flavor, but have to do a lot less trimming once they are home for processing.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
MedRiver,

That's been my experience as well. However, most of my pronghorn hunting has taken place in Montana and Wyoming, during rifle seasons which don't open until October. Have always been somewhat baffled by states that open rifle season in August or early September, especially in the Southwest.

There's often frost or even snow on the ground during Montana's season, which goes into November.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yea,Colorado opens their archery antelope season Auguts15. That has to be some great eating ( not).

I shoot my antelope in the December seasons

Last edited by saddlesore; 09/03/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have tried antelope meat numerous times and I cannot gag it down, to me it tastes like liver and liver gags me too. To clarify the times I tried it after the first time was because of comment from other folks who were eating off of the same antelope thought it was great. Heck, I can't even stand eating antelope jerky. Like mentioned above different taste buds on different folks.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
98 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, Akpilot, 13 invisible), 1,752 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,720
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.