Print Thread
Hop To
B
beefan Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
My grandson recently acquired a Ishapore Enfield 7.62x51 Nato in very good condition. He and I put 20 rounds of Winchester factory 308 through it yesterday. It functioned flawlessly and shot well-for him; my old eyes struggled with the open sights.

I plan to handload for it and thought I'd check with you guys about case stretching and appropriate handloads. Is case stretching an issue with this version of the Enfield given that this is a rimless chambering?

Anyone with experience with a favorite recipe for a moderate handload please chime in. I have IMR 4064, Varget, and TAC and a few others, as well as few 150 gr. Sierra spitzers. There may be an opportunity for a white tail this season during a college break.

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I've been testing 45.8 grains of Varget with 150-grain the Hornady Interlock, Nosler Accubond, and Sierra Game King in my Remington 700. Accuracy is excellent and recoil is mild. Velocity is just over 2,700 fps in a 22" barrel, so it's not too hot.

Also check out some of the old-school target loads listed in this thread: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2255435/good-308-loads#Post2255435 Most of them are significantly milder than hunting loads and they're known for producing superb accuracy in lots of different rifles.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by beefan
My grandson recently acquired a Ishapore Enfield 7.62x51 Nato in very good condition. He and I put 20 rounds of Winchester factory 308 through it yesterday. It functioned flawlessly and shot well-for him; my old eyes struggled with the open sights.

I plan to handload for it and thought I'd check with you guys about case stretching and appropriate handloads. Is case stretching an issue with this version of the Enfield given that this is a rimless chambering?

Anyone with experience with a favorite recipe for a moderate handload please chime in. I have IMR 4064, Varget, and TAC and a few others, as well as few 150 gr. Sierra spitzers. There may be an opportunity for a white tail this season during a college break.

Case stretching is an issue because it has the typical sloppy Enfield chamber. These were battle rifles not match rifles. Mine likes 165gr Speer Hot-Cor flat base. Running 45.3 gr of RL-15. My chronograph says they are running around 2,625 fps.

Also, 42.8 gr of Varget with a Sierra 150 flat base gives me just under 2,700. For some reason MY Ishapore doesn't like boat tails. I usually just use the 165s however, because they are just more accurate and I like the terminal performance better.

Last edited by HadsDad; 09/04/20. Reason: Added information

Why is abbreviate such a long word
B
beefan Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Useful information, thank you.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
PM Steve Redgwell. He's the SMLE Guy, and may have some answers. Not sure if he plays with .308 versions or not.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Bottom line, an Ishapore No.1MkIII .308 is a marginal platform for the .308. An interesting variant for sure, but remember that India was a poor country in the 50's and couldn't afford to get on the 7.62 NATO bandwagon with a stylish semi-auto service rifle so the converted SMLE was pressed into service as a stopgap measure.

When they hit the market, guys I ran with bought a few with stars in their eyes and quickly found that headspace was already catch-as-catch-can, cases didn't stand but a couple reloadings, and/or the rifles developed headspace issues quickly when hot NATO service ammo was dumped through them unmercifully. The lesson I took from that: stick with .303's in SMLE's.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
They weren't converted. They were a redesign by Rifle Factory Ishapore. Mine has never had a head spacing issue. Mine is a Rifle 7.62 2A1. Brass life is short for reloads, but again that is only because they have rather generous chambers like most bolt action military rifles. I have probably run a pallet load of crappy NATO service ammo through mine without issue.

Why is abbreviate such a long word
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Sorry, wrong choice words. Was thinking the same as you when I said converted.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by beefan

Congratulations on the acquisition! Case stretching can be an issue with any firearm chambered in 7.62x51mm. The chambers are not sloppy. They are longer than those of a 308.

Briefly, 7.62x51mm chambers can be up to 13 thou longer than the 308 Winchester. It is the design. I cannot believe it's been 19 years since I wrote this, but if you follow the link, it will explain everything. Take note of the picture.

http://www.303british.com/id36.html

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
beefan Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Insightful! Many Thanks Steve!

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You're very welcome. All the best.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.