Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Looking for suggestions on the ideal scope for a lightweight 308 mountain rifle. No interest in shooting past 300. Thinking about the Trijicon 1-4x24.

BP-B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Swarovski Z3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Swarovski Z3

Yep!
And if you are going to go Trijicon, go with the 3-9x40.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just went with a couple Swarovski Z3s from Doug.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Leupold FXII 6x36 if you can find one.

IC B2

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
How about that little 2.5-10x from SWFA?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by yukon254
Looking for suggestions on the ideal scope for a lightweight 308 mountain rifle. No interest in shooting past 300. Thinking about the Trijicon 1-4x24.

yukon254;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the Labor Day Long is starting out to be a fine one for you folks and all of you are well.

For sure and certain I'll preface this with the whole, "many roads to Mecca" preamble as well as the idea that you only have to please you... you know?

So then in my case when building a lightweight, walking around rifle for the mountains here in southern BC, I had a target weight of 7lbs loaded.

As I assembled the parts, the thing I used most was my wife's cooking scale as it told me the truth - sorta like a chronograph, as long as the chronograph isn't lying to you like my ancient Shooting Chrony appears to be, but I digress... wink

Again too, I wanted either a Husky or Mauser 98 type action and had a commercial roll marked, between the wars Mauser 98 action sitting in my safe so that's the way I went. By doing so however, I started out with 5oz more than if I'd waited to find a Husky action or for instance went with a short action 721/700.

The major reason I was aiming at the 7lb mark was that I've shot rifles lighter than that and had difficulty doing my best work with them. I'll note that the rifle below - started as an '06, then became a .270 which did make the 7lb goal and now is a 6.5x55 at 7lb4oz - is "different" to shoot than a rifle in the same cartridge but a pound and a half heavier.

Again that's me and might not be you, which is of course cool. grin

[Linked Image]

The scope I chose is a fairly oldish Leupold 6X Compact and yes they're a bit more finicky with the eyebox than some other Leupolds, but no I don't find it insurmountable, liking them enough to own two.

They're exactly 8.4oz by the way, the Trijicon you mentioned is 14oz I believe, but then if you started with a lighter action than I did, you'd still be okay.

Sorry about my usual long fingered way of answering, but there are in my view and experience, a whole lot of variables to take into consideration when building a mountain rig.

Good luck whichever way you decide and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Y
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Y
Dwayne

We are all fine up here in the north country. There is fresh snow on the mountains above the house today, so that is a sign of things to come.

Nice looking rifle you have there. I like the mauser style actions as well. To that end I have a stainless left hand MRC extreme ascent coming from Prophet River in the next few days. They are listed at 5 pounds 10 oz but I have heard they can be as much as a pound heavier. That would be OK with me because I like a bit more heft as well.

I will look into those Leupolds. I've always had good luck with that company in the past.

Hope you get a chance to do some walking in the hills with that rifle this fall.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yukon254;
Thanks for the reply sir, I appreciate it.

This year I ended up having a couple pounds of IMR 4831 go "off" on me - turned that reddish color and was dusty, so anyways that was the powder for the 120gr TTSX load I was shooting in the Swede, so since I was changing the powder I also am trying some 120gr GMX just because! grin

While I am now highly suspect of my speeds, it "may or may not" be that the load I settled on with VV N550 is pushing them at 2930fps! laugh

Seemed snappy enough and when the shop in Surrey that had a Pro Chrono model that I'd like to get returns from their summer shutdown, well if the stars align I'll see what it's really doing, you know?

As this is the first season which I'm "semi retired or fully into trial retirement", I intend to walk the local mountains flat AND do so during the middle of the week! wink

Weekends will be reserved for ferrying our eldest daughter out to try to see if we can get some freezer protein for her to shoot as well.

I'm not super sure where one would look for an older Compact Leupold like that other than gunnutz - but I've had reasonable luck buying and selling on that site over the years.

If you're not on gunnutz and you'd like me to look for something there, by all means give me a holler/PM and I'd be happy to do that for you.

Think I'm waiting for the 4th scope since spring bought on there.... blush Oh, I should add that 3 of them were for shooting buddys!

Anyways sir all the best to you all again.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by murkydismal

This seems to be a popular choice for light mountain rifles.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yes. smile

With the LR reticle.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you are not a 500-1000 yd shooter which I have never been and you don’t intend by your post, it gets much easier and lighter is righter, or so it seems to me.

My longest game shot went right to 500 yds and was made with a Zeiss with ballistic reticle — worked fine with a specific reference to hold to but...

From my moderate experience — about a quarter of a century of hunting the mountains for elk (not sheep or goats) I gravitated to the “less is more“ euphemism..

I now have a custom 284 with a Leup 6x with Long Range Dots with which under ideal conditions might attempt that 500 shot but certainly would at 400.

This rig weighs in at 6 1/4 lbs all up as they say.

While I appreciate John Burns, his equipment and skills, I am content with to carry less and get closer.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
To that end I have a stainless left hand MRC extreme ascent coming from Prophet River in the next few days. They are listed at 5 pounds 10 oz but I have heard they can be as much as a pound heavier. That would be OK with me because I like a bit more heft as well.

Not to derail your thread but I've seen two iterations of those: one with a blind magazine (no bottom metal) that specs at 5#10oz., and one with full bottom metal that specs a little more. Both are marked "XAR" on the fluted featherweight contour barrels. Please post a picture when yours arrives as I'm curious as to which you wind up with.

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I've been carrying a Mountain Rifle in .280 since the late 80's.
It has a 3X9 Swaro with a simple crosshair that was before the Z3.
I've covered alot of miles with that set up but never changed the scope and its held perfect zero all these years.
Look at the Z3.
Those mountain rifles are butt heavy with the wood stock. I changed mine out to a B&C similar to the TI stock and it moves the balance more forward.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mine wear 2.5-8x36 Leupolds.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Leupold 2.5-8X. IMHO, the best set-it-and-forget-it hunting scope available .. period.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BC30cal

yukon254;

[Linked Image]

The scope I chose is a fairly oldish Leupold 6X Compact and yes they're a bit more finicky with the eyebox than some other Leupolds, but no I don't find it insurmountable, liking them enough to own two.

They're exactly 8.4oz by the way, the Trijicon you mentioned is 14oz I believe, but then if you started with a lighter action than I did, you'd still be okay.

Sorry about my usual long fingered way of answering, but there are in my view and experience, a whole lot of variables to take into consideration when building a mountain rig.

Good luck whichever way you decide and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

I have one in FX-II with an M1 knob........small, light, a solid choice.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

If Leupold had a small amount knowledge, they'd still make this scope.
I'd take two, I'm sure others would like them too.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Another vote for a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Zeiss Conquest (Meopta) 3-9x40 or Leupold 2.5-8x36

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
673 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 73 invisible), 2,997 guests, and 1,437 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,672
Posts18,399,514
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.