Print Thread
Hop To
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Went in to get my Real ID- current lic expires end of month. I'm going to be gone by then, maybe up to a month.

Office only open for 3 - 2hour blocks daily (Web site says 9-5). By appointment only.

Went home, got on line. No appointments available for at least 3 months. That I could see. Maybe poor internet skills, dunno.

Screw it- I'll just get a re-issue "standard" on line. I have a passport for air travel.

Nope - for some reason not eligible..

Google up the private DVM folks on state web site.. Didn't look closely enough - only on the state web site. Address given there is on Sterling Hwy- I glanced that way driving by earlier , and I thought it was a different sign. Called number listed. No answer. Location is listed accurately elsewhere, but not on state web site. "open 2am to 7am. WTF????

Drove back into town to check. Yep . Not there. Guy smoking a cig told me they had moved over to Spur Hwy "next to 5 Star Realty"

Drove that way- didn't see a sign fo 5-Star (it's miniscule), or for the private business Express DMV (it's minuscule). And there are no street numbers on buildings along there.

When I knew I was past it, I stopped at a strip mall for directions. They told me "it's a log cabin on a little hill"

Drove back down - that's the fur place. He told me " brown building next to Frojos". Now that I can find!

The building is blue, not brown, with a 12 by 18 inch sign on it, but it IS next to the restaurant.

OK- I'm on a roll here. 10 munutes to 5. Sign says open to 6. Hot dog!

I had grabbed my Medicare card out of the files instead of the Social Security card.....

In and out in 10 minutes yesterday(the next day). smile

A mere $71 and a half-day later.

So how is your week going?

Last edited by las; 08/26/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

BP-B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Just don’t eat at Frosos.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son just got his DL 3 weeks ago. After he took the test from a private Drivers Ed. Co. the wife took him straight to the DMV and got his license. She was quite surprised how fast it went m, as there was over a month wait to get a Driver's test through the DMV.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Fairbanks I always avoided the actual DMV office if I could and used the contract place on Old Steese, UMV I believe it is called. It costs more, but is way faster to get things done.... no sitting around for a couple of hours like at the DMV.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A government operation. What could go wrong?

NRA Patron
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
116 members (257 mag, 35, 160user, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 308ld, 15 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.