Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I bought a Leupold RX-1000i TBR DNA of few years ago. I hadn't used it in about 2 years until last weekend and discovered that the display was not displaying properly. I installed a new battery but that didn't help. I called Leupold a few days ago but they have not called me back. I am guessing that when I finally do get to talk to them I will be told that the warranty has expired. So I will likely need a new one.

When I bought it I was living in Walla Walla Washington and hunting the Blue Mountains where shots could be long and at a significant slope. Now I am hunting in Michigan where shots are much shorter but I am limited to using my 45/70 so the difference between 100 and 150 yards is enough to cause a poor hit.

Looking for input on a sensible replacement. Thanks.

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just get a Nikon 600. That’s what I started with, and it worked great on muddy pigs and coyotes to 400 yards. Not 420 yards, but it would do 400. It would range non-muddy stuff like signs and trucks to 900 yards. I had it for years. I’d still have if 400 yards was enough, but I needed 500 to range the far side of my hay field. I bought a Sig 1250 to try. Sent it back and got a Leica 2000B. It’s great.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leica

Patron member, NRA, Life Member SCI,
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Vortex is the only laser rangefinder that does not have a time limit on the warranty of the electronics as far as I know.

Disclaimer - I have not owned a Vortex RF so my experience with them is limited to looking through and testing their ranging ability when I was looking for a rangefinder. At that time I did not care for the image of the letters, etc. I ended up buying the Leupold 1000 and it has served me well but I also purchased it with the realization that electronic circuitry is fragile. The rangefinder I had previously owned to the Leupold I fried the circuitry by leaving it laying on a hot dash all day in 95 degree weather.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had a similar experience and they replaced mine with an RX-1200 at no cost. I’d suggest giving them an opportunity to respond.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Dig makes a decent rf.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Leica

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I have a couple Leica LRF 1200 Scan units for sale. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Get a Vortex and forget about it. Vortex has a lifetime warranty. Athlon makes a decent rangefinder for not much money. I have both as well as a Sig Kilo 2200. Leica charges a lot of money and doesn't warranty crap. BTDT with Leica. For your needs, I would say the Athlon will fill the bill but would give the nod to Vortex.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Leica,
does your unit power up? Just the display that is not right? I have seen the battery terminals get dirty and or weak spring tension, especially with a unit not used often. If i powers up and is not working I am afraid that it is beyond economic repair.

IC B3

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Ot does power up but I cannot see all of what it is trying to display. Some characters are not showing up. I will try again to get in touch with Leupold.

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Leupold says that with it being out of warranty they cannot fix or replace it but offered me a good deal on some of their newer, more powerful models.

I am considering taking them up on this. Either the RX-1600i TBR/W or thee RX-2800 TBR/W.

Does anyone have feedback on these models?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rufous
Leupold says that with it being out of warranty they cannot fix or replace it but offered me a good deal on some of their newer, more powerful models.

I am considering taking them up on this. Either the RX-1600i TBR/W or thee RX-2800 TBR/W.

Does anyone have feedback on these models?

I have used the 2800 and it will blow your old one away.

Seem Leupy is finally getting into to good range finders.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 09/11/20.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've had 3 of the Leupy's, latest one being the 1600 TBR. Every time the same thing has happened in that half the display goes out and quits working. Each time Leupy has replaced it under warranty which tells you how often mine broke down. The Sig runs circles around any Leupy RF made.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had the same thing happen with my Leupy 1600TBR. Really pissed me off as I didn't use it often, but when I needed it, I expected it to work. I'm not sure it lasted a year and a half.

I bought a Leica from Doug a few weeks back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep, same thing happened to my Leupold 1000Xi TBR, and it was a couple years out of warranty. Couldn't read the display unless you held you hand over the end to darken things up. They offered me a price break on a new one which was the 1600i. I wish I had known about the RX-2800.

R
rufous Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I did not end up getting a new rangefinder last fall because I did not really think I would need one where I was hunting and I did not want to get one and not use it for who knows how long only to find that it had gone bad before I ever really needed it. I have moved to Oregon recently and will now be hunting areas that I can benefit by having a good laser rangefinder. So I am seriously looking at getting one. I reached out to Leupold again today and will see if they will still offer me a reduced price on one of their newer units. I am however still leery about their display quality and longevity. I talked to my buddy again today who has a Sig Kilo 2000 BDX and he really likes it. The Sig website does not show that model as available any longer but has a 2200 BDX available for $549.99 which is more than I really want to spend. I might go ahead and get that but will wait to see what Leupold says as well as shop around some. I would be very happy to get some updated input from you all though too.

I actually see that the Sig website says that the 2200 BDX is unavailable but will look around and see if some other companies have it available.

Last edited by rufous; 07/05/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I had a Sig Kilo 2000, wouldn't come close to ranging advertised distances (most don't, but this was worse than most), so I got rid of it. I'd suggest a Vortex, they're one of the few optics companies that warranty their electronics for life too. No questions asked, they'll fix it or send you a replacement. I've got 3 of their scopes and their range finding binos, never had an issue, but i like the peace of mind if something ever happens.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I have a Vortex spotting scope. I bought it new and after about 10 years the focus wheel quit working. After a call to Vortex customer service, I sent it back to them. In about 3 weeks I had a replacement. No one that I spoke to was anything other than helpful and nice.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
647 members (222ND, 160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 73 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,172
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.