Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Very interesting battue. The thread also, as I didn’t grow up in the hunting camp and “big woods” culture. I can easily guess a hunting camp could get ticklish depending on personalities as things never stay the same.

I never became a member since I mainly ran with some guys I knew for years. But often went up there as a guest with my Step Father and another one of the members....Really cool place....

Last edited by battue; 09/08/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
There is a lot about our camp here in the Trans-Bluegrass that is probably different than a lot of places.

1) This is all private land. The farms are usually 20-300 acres.
2) The deer density is quite high. Deer outnumber humans. The state is trying to reduce the herd in this zone.
3) With the proximity to Indiana and Ohio, there are a lot of non-resident hunters, us among them.
4) There are few deer leases. One of the few local ones is directly behind our property. Most of the "camps" are someone's grandparent's farm with either the old farmhouse or a trailer.
5) The hunter density is quite high. There are probably 1100 hunters within earshot of us. The CO told me that he's never seen anything like our part of the county. He grew up here.

Ooops. Gotta run. More later.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
OK. I'm back.

So how does this influence our hunting?

1) We tend to hunt the center of the property, especially during The Opener. I have probably the most exposed stand of any; it's 80 yards from the line. However, my back is to a large oak and you would need to be on our side of the line to get a clear shot. It's also in a place that the neighbors seldom go. In 18 seasons, I have yet to see another man's orange from my vantage.
2) There are places on the property where we just don't go. I was tracking a deer back in 2004 and managed to get behind a neighbor's backstop without knowing. They started a shooting contest, and I had a few close misses before hightailing it out. When I mentioned it to the owner, his response was, "Don't worry. If we was aiming for you, we'd have hit you."
3) Orange is our color. We can see other hunters at 1000 yards if they're wearing orange. If we're away from the front porch, we are in orange.
4) We have little contact with the other camps. When the bar over on the next ridge was still in business we used to go over frequently and have dinner and visit. Nowadays, I hardly know who is out there.
5) Until very recently, we had to worry about the processors filling up. If we had a deer down on the Opener we needed to get it out to the processor as quickly as possible. In the evening, we still have to be quick about it. The nearest processor is 30 minutes away. If we tarry, they'll be closed by the time we get there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
shaman, sounds like a walk in cooler would be a big asset. Don't you guys at least quarter the deer up and put the meat in a cooler? I can not imagine spending money for processing deer. I would go broke not to mention the satisfaction of doing your own.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Once I retire, and move down there permanently, it'll make more sense to DIY and forget the processor. As it is, we do it as a matter of time saving and convenience. Our preferred processor is about 1/2 hour away on the way out. He does a great job. All we have to do is bring him a clean carcass. If we DIY'd it , it would be a much bigger chunk out of season doing something other than hunting.

IC B2

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I now have pictures of NewGuy.

[Linked Image]

NewGuy is on the right, coming back from a squirrel hunt with Angus.

Here he is trailing me past one of the cameras.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Shaman, what does NewGuy get called next season ?

& is that a 'deadhead' Angus is holding ?

Good luck with your season.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

That's a current topic of discussion topic. NewGuy is a working handle. We're playing around with callsigns. When we make the formal announcement of him joining the Shamanic Dream Team, we'll have it all settled.

Yes, that's a nice 8 pointer. It's a shame too-- probably ran off the neighbor's place to the east. We got an even bigger one back in November that had been bow shot and run onto our property.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
LMFAO!!!!!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Shaman,

Can you and your camp find it in the goodness of your souls to invite Renegade to your camp? Bless his heart, he needs someone of your abilities to teach him bushcraft and Whitetail 101. Thanks

Bob

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B3

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Is that Shaman or Ewell Gibbons?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Can you and your camp find it in the goodness of your souls to invite Renegade to your camp? Bless his heart, he needs someone of your abilities to teach him bushcraft and Whitetail 101. Thanks

My only hesitation is that he seems to laugh without any particular reason. That can be a dangerous sign in some folks.

WAM: While I appreciate the taste of wild hickory nuts, that's just me there. I was fresh in from my inaugural squirrel hunt.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sham,

Thanks for the consideration. I know it would warm Renegade’s heart to be included. Maybe he will also learn to stop shooting the first little buck that wanders by and still has milk on his lips.

Bob

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
New Guy looks like he's enjoying his new playground and friends.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is usually a steadfast camp bylaw. NewGuy will forever be known as NewGuy. This shall not change. Another addition to camp shall be annointed as [bleep], or FNG for short. This is Camp Law 101.

Last edited by gophergunner; 09/13/20.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gophergunner

This is usually a steadfast camp bylaw. NewGuy will forever be known as NewGuy. This shall not change. Another addition to camp shall be annointed as [bleep], or FNG for short. This is Camp Law 101.

We made that mistake naming stands. In 2006, I decided Heartbreak Ridge just wasn't producing, and I moved the stand about 80 yards along the side of the ridge to a new location I dubbed NewStand. It produced deer, but they all fell down the steep slope all the way to the bottom. Pretty soon, nobody wanted to hunt NewStand. We pulled the stand out in 2016.

PapaAlpha or PapaAlphaOne has been put forward as a CallSign. I'm not in love with it yet, but I'm not going rule it out. SuperCore was easy to name. SuperCore was his nickname at NCR back in the 60's. IBM had come out with core memory, and NCR tried to match them with what they called "Super Core Memory." It was vaporware, and never quite made it to market. One of SuperCore's customers, a mutual friend, named him that; for 3 years SuperCore was announcing this fabulous new product that was just about to arrive.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tzone
I find it a bit strange you won’t have him there on opening weekend. He’s either part of the crew or not.

It’s kinda like telling the kids they can come sit at the table for dinner after you’ve eaten the best pieces of steak before they’re allowed to eat.

The new guy has to wait until anything decent are all shot off the bait piles.

😂😂

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by renegade50
LMFAO!!!!!

😂😂😂

Don’t

Just don’t

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
Originally Posted by BobBrown

My only hesitation is that he seems to laugh without any particular reason. That can be a dangerous sign in some folks.

LOL

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by renegade50
LMFAO!!!!!

😂😂😂

Don’t

Just don’t

Head to Toe orange suit with matching orange Gilligan hat

cat’s outta the bag

LOL

Giant carrot man 👍😂

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 28 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,637
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.