Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a HPG Recon bag on suggestion from the 'Fire. I spent this past week hiking around Lander/Dubois/Pinedale. Excellent setup. I highly recomend the HPG Recon for an accessible carry situation. I simply zipped it shut when in the parking lot or trailhead to keep people from asking or getting weirded out, unzipped side and top when hiking. Put almost 60 miles on this week with it and it was very comfortable and not nearly as hot as I was expecting. I'm ordering the small bino pouch to attach to the PALS. Should make an excellent chest rig for a pistol/bino or about any other small items that need accessed (compass, gps, wind indicator, keys, etc). Thanks for the guys suggesting the HPG!

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
BP-B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nice review. Thanks

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Did ya use a MIC holster?

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Dumb question - what is a MIC holster?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
That little doohickey that fits over the trigger guard. It has a string for going around a belt. It was designed for minimalist carrying.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why do you need a holster in a bag?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Oh I don’t know, maybe having a loaded Glock 10mm next to my chest isn’t that appealing. The MIC holster is just a little added safety measure for me. By all means go with out.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Viking-
If its what I think your referring to, HPG sells them. Got one with my HPG I use for my Glock 20 for the reason you mention because I had the same thought.
As it turns out, not sure its necessary as there is very little for the trigger to snag on in its slot of the kit bag. Still nice to have and I prefer to use it. Its cord attaches to a loop in the bottom of the slot and the guard detaches from the pistol as it clears the top.
The kit bag also has room to carry my "never go anywhere without it" stuff as well. Compass, extra knife, fire starter, lighter, snacks, mini flashlight, etc as well as an extra mag, speed strip, or speed loader depending on what I'm carrying. Good unit.
Joe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, I have never had a bag to carry a gun,
And only a 9mm Glock.
So I'm safe. Maybe!

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Originally Posted by MO2AZ
Viking-
If its what I think your referring to, HPG sells them. Got one with my HPG I use for my Glock 20 for the reason you mention because I had the same thought.
As it turns out, not sure its necessary as there is very little for the trigger to snag on in its slot of the kit bag. Still nice to have and I prefer to use it. Its cord attaches to a loop in the bottom of the slot and the guard detaches from the pistol as it clears the top.
The kit bag also has room to carry my "never go anywhere without it" stuff as well. Compass, extra knife, fire starter, lighter, snacks, mini flashlight, etc as well as an extra mag, speed strip, or speed loader depending on what I'm carrying. Good unit.
Joe

Yep that’s the one. They might have different names...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is the concern when putting the pistol in the bag?
Or just the whole light trigger pull/no safety thing?

Not trying to be a dick here, Never even seen one of these bags.
They interest me, but I can't imagine when I would use one.
They make sense, just not for me.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Is the concern when putting the pistol in the bag?
Or just the whole light trigger pull/no safety thing?

Not trying to be a dick here, Never even seen one of these bags.
They interest me, but I can't imagine when I would use one.
They make sense, just not for me.

I have their Snubby Bag. It's great for carrying a ready-access gun while hiking with a daypack in areas where you'll have a lot of human contact.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
All of the above. Why take chances, wearing gloves, stressful draws, falls, snags....the MIC holster shouldn’t slow a draw.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I practiced drawing from the Recon and shooting at close range (10-20 ft). It is entirely possible to draw and fire 2-3 shots - and hit softball sized targets. But nothing is going to prevent you from getting chewed on if the bear shows up close and is moving fast. They move way too fast to do much about it except hit fetal and pray.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by bwinters
I practiced drawing from the Recon and shooting at close range (10-20 ft). It is entirely possible to draw and fire 2-3 shots - and hit softball sized targets. But nothing is going to prevent you from getting chewed on if the bear shows up close and is moving fast. They move way too fast to do much about it except hit fetal and pray.

Nice thing about the HPG is you can still draw from the fetal praying position.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 10mm isn't powerful enough to stop large brown bear especially when the bear is angry. Best assume fetal position and pray. The HPG is kind of expensive way to carry first aid kit. Glock 20 needs one of them hip or thigh holsters commandos use for CQB.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Recon bag with their Bino pouch mounted on it is a pretty slick rig

Rabid Creedmoorians ring my doorbell ...
as I open it a crack they speak :
"Do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Savior , 6.5Creed?"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bwinters
Dumb question - what is a MIC holster?

It's a waste of $19. You can get ENTIRE holster like DeSantis Pegasus Slim-tuck for $22 with free shipping from Amazon. You can take off the belt loop to make it more comfortable in pocket with small pistol like G42/43.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Slavek
A 10mm isn't powerful enough to stop large brown bear especially when the bear is angry. Best assume fetal position and pray. The HPG is kind of expensive way to carry first aid kit. Glock 20 needs one of them hip or thigh holsters commandos use for CQB.

You sure ain't bashful about being stupid are you?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,877
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.