Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have never heard of a cup and core bullet or a mono all copper starting a fire. Now military surplus steel bullets... All of the local ranges (Public ones) use a magnet to check bullets/ammo. Always 223/5.56 & 7.62 are the problems. Been years since I have seen 30-06 or 8mm Mauser with steel tipped bullets. The steel ones WILL spark. Of course tracers..

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was shooting crows with a .22-250 Ruger many years ago, was laid down prone resting the rifle on a duffle bag, the muzzle blast set fire to the dead grass field and l had to jump up and stomp it out in a hurry. Not a bullet caused fire though.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've seen normal, everyday bullets make a spark when hitting rocks at first or last light, but that's it.

I've started fires with tracers, but they're far from "normal" bullets and/or ammo. I know of at least one fire a couple years ago in Wyoming started by Tannerite.

I know of several fires started by car exhaust pipes on the grass and even came across what I have to assume was a naturally smoking and smoldering tree stump covered in embers. I have no idea how to explain why it was so hot, as it was on a riverbank with ice cold water all around it, but it was.

Never a non-tracer bullet itself though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
we were plinking in the desert many years ago with our SKSs and steel core. Saw the smoke and we just managed to get it out before it became too big.

I read somewhere that copper bullets are more likely to start fires than cup and core. Can't remember where.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I can't see it happening with copper or copper alloys. Copper alloys are used for non-sparking tools because they don't spark. I've certainly never seen of heard of a case of one setting a fire, and we get some days where you could start a fire with a harsh look here.

Steel I'm prepared to believe, though I think you'd be unlucky, and it isn't what I'd choose for a hunting bullet. Tracer I definitely believe, because I've seen it start fires quite a number of times. I remember one shoot in particular when I was in military service, where we had repeated stoppages of play to go downrange and put the fires out.

The catalytic converter under the vehicle you drive is another potential source, and there have been a few fires here from dry grass etc around one of these.

There again AFAIK the two major sources of bushfires here are lightning and arsonists

IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
F
The US Forest Service study quoted above shows copper as being ABOVE steel core and or jackets in it's fire starting ability. Must have something to do with particle temperatures after impact. The British, greatest navy in the world in the days of black powder (the most easily ignited powder of all) used copper implements to handle black powder.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Of course tracers will cause fires. Hell, they're on fire when you pull the trigger. But you have no business hunting with Tracers.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
As for brass or copper causing sparks I still think it's Bunny Hugger BS.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Grandfather used to light floating brush piles on the Tanana river on fire with a .30 Browning machinegun. Probably tracers I would imagine.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Last time I was at the range, we had a grass fire.

No one was shooting steel target, or steel core bullets nor anything other than paper targets.

Best we can tell a hot bullets glanced off the berm with just enough energy to make it to the dry grass on the other side, with enough heat energy to start that tinder box.

We knocked it down with shovels and rakes before the fire department arrived, keeping it on the clubs property and out of the neighbors crops.

So, I can tell you from first hand experience that grass fires can ignite from just the heat energy of a conventional bullet.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not a physicist, but I would imagine a lead slug stepping along at 3 to 4,000 fps might generate a little heat when it comes to an instant stop. Might even turn into molten lead which is warm enough to ignite a lot of materials.

A little surfing found:
According to research by FLIR (manufacturer of thermal imagers) the surface temperature of a fired bullet is up to 500°F. ... The specific heat of lead is 0.13 J/g , so if all of its energy was converted to heat (by deformation impacting an infinitely hard target) that 200gr = 13g bullet could gain something like 1400°C

Last edited by 1minute; 09/06/20.

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A recent brush fire around here was allegedly started by yokels shooting tracers, I beleve on Lake Belton, not sure.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Tracers will do it every time.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When the country gets really dry in late summer/early fall, it doesn't take much to start a fire in grass. I won't shoot a centerfire into anything but bare dirt with no vegetation nearby under those conditions, and am careful where I shoot my .22 as well. Tannerite is a no go unless there is snow on the ground. My dad said the old paper shotgun shells with felt or paper wads were good for starting fires too. I suspect the newer plastic shells/wads are lots safer....but I didn't go bird hunting first weekend because here in eastern MT it was dry as hell and Montana already had several fires...didn't need to start another one.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Back in the sixties I was shooting a .44 Magnum revolver, using Elmer Keith's 250 grain SWC that I had cast myself. I had used Lyman's black bullet lube when sizing and lubricating the bullets, and they were loaded over 22.0 grains of 2400, just like Elmer used to do. I was shooting at a paper target mounted on the face of several bales of hay.

After firing 50 rounds or so, I noticed smoke coming the hay. I tore the bale apart and found it was smoldering inside, right where the bullets were hitting. I could only conclude that the bullet lube was hot enough to ignite the hay. First and only time I ever experienced something like this, but it made me more careful when shooting cast bullets into anything that resembled tinder.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Rock against rock can make a spark.

Any bullet can knock a rock against a rock.

Bruce

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

716 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 3,364 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.