I got this from another board but thought I would share it here.

I received this from a co-worker today.

Dear Friends,
As most of you know, my nephew is in Iraq, and my son is in the Army, so for me and my family, this war got downright personal real quick. It has been mentioned to me several times that some of you would like to help, but you don�t know who or where or how, and others have talked about how the war seems cold and impersonal, watched like a game on the TV - well, I�m going to help you see from a more personal perspective, if I can .... the following is about my nephew, written by his Mom, my sister-in-law, for an elementary school class who invited her to come talk because they wanted to know more about the soldiers. At the bottom is an address where you can send things, if you wish, things like snacks and crackers, sunscreen and chapstick, skin lotion, soap, paper, envelopes and stamps, calling cards, or whatever you can think of that might help our soldiers - I guarantee that Michael will see that these items get distributed to those in his group who need them, and they will be deeply appreciated. I have also included at the bottom of this message a list of things they have asked for. If you can�t afford or aren�t able to help, just a short prayer would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks to everyone,
Laurie

Subject: Who is Mike McCann

Master Sgt. Mike McCann United States Marine Corps Reserves.
When Mike was 3 years old his father died. He has a younger brother named John. He also has 2 white cats, Princess and Precious.
Although I didn�t allow him to play with war toys and guns as a little boy, he was determined to be a Marine. He was always a patriotic leader and had a group when he was a teenager called, R.O.A.C.H.�s. We lived in Florida, so roaches were a household pest to be reckoned with. Ranger Oriented Attack Counter Harassment! This merry band of teenagers had full camouflage gear and took Martial Arts at their high school from 2 respected coaches how had been in Viet Nam. They had lots of fun camping and playing in the woods. Mike taught them survival skills, complete with living off the land. This was quite a feat for boys from the inner city, but Mike has a great sense of humor, so he made it fun.
The boys liked eating bushes and camping out with their ROACH leader, even if at times it was in our yard. Many of the boys followed Mike into the Marine Corps and visited many parts of the world.
When Mike was 17 he asked me to allow him to join the Marines Reserves. I signed the papers because I trusted his level of maturity and determination to be a success in every effort. Mike was always in advanced classes, and on the 2nd team for the Brain Brawl team from his school.
Although he was in the Reserves, he always considered his position as a full time job. The men and women under his command were always volunteering for community programs and training for the event of being �called up.�
Mike served in Desert Storm. He is in maintenance so his crews drive and maintain the Amtracs that carry the other Marines into position. This means that they are usually on the front lines helping people get into position.
The Amtracs are not tanks but look similar because they have big guns on the top to protect them. These vehicles carry up to 23 fully loaded Marines from place to place. There is a crew of 5 men with the Amtrac and can go off a ship or into the desert. They are very big and I had an exciting ride in one on Family Day, because the Marines had fun bouncing their families around. Mister Toad�s Wild Ride for sure!
During Desert Storm Mike got lost several times in the darkness of the vast desert, so he has his own GPS device this time.
Mike�s full time job is at Bank of America where he is a Team Leader of people who answer banking questions. This means he has to know all the answers. His group almost always has the top production.
Mike has a 2 year college degree, but is taking classes for his 4 year college degree.
Mike ran the Marine Corp Reserve�s Toys for Tots program for many years and
has received many awards and is greatly admired by the men and women Marines
under his charge
Mike has been a hero at home too. 2 times he came to the aid of police officers in need of assistance. Once he was commended by the Jacksonville Sheriff�s Office and The City of Jacksonville for coming to the aid of a police officer under fire. The criminal who injured the cop was later caught and Mike was shown on Court TV as a witness.
He also cased down many purse snatchers yelling �I�m a United States Marine and I can run all day!� he did, and the purse snatcher always gave up.
Mike does not allow people to curse in front of me. He says �Hey watch it.
This is my mother!� The men always say they are sorry.
The last news we received about Mike�s unit was that they were 70 miles south of Baghdad transporting POW�s. This is the group of 700 who were waiting for the Americans. Mike and his Marines will treat the POWs with respect, because they are honorable young American men who believe in freeing the people of Iraq.
Thank you so much for caring enough to want to help out. Michael will appreciate your letters and packages, not as much for himself, but even more to boost the morale of his young Marines.
Thank you,
Marcy McCann

MSGT MCCANN MR USMC
B CO 4TH AABN 1st MAR DIV
UIC 39842 BOX 1708
FPO AP 96426-1708

For views of where Mike is at present, check out the desert scenes on <http://www.conspirasea.com/marines.html>. From there you will find a link to the SunHearld.com.
They have a section called Showdown Iraq and there are lots of pictures sent
by various reporters.

Things the soldiers need:
Toilet Paper (white, unscented and flattened for packing)
Chapstick - with sunscreen
Black Plastic Bags - These become washing machines etc.
AA Batteries
Socks for under Combat Boots (for those who have access to military clothing sales - they are the ones that are black or dark green at the top and white at the bottom.
Hard individually wrapped candies, Vitamin C, and cough drops
Writing paper
Envelopes
Pens
Any headache remedies in small packets
Pre-portioned drinks, Hi-C, juices, drinks w/straws
Dried Fruit
Raisins (small boxes)
Canned chips such as Pringles
Cheese in aerosol can
Life Savers, M & Ms
Zip-lock bags
Prepackaged drinks like juice, yoohoo
Baby Wipes
Dips for crackers and chips (little cans or plastic cups)
Crackers/cookies
Individual puddings, canned fruits, tuna, potted meats.
Any food in pop-tops
Hard Sausages/Slim Jims
Home baked cookies of any kind. (Not soft)
Disposable Cameras
Prepackaged crackers and cheese/peanut butter crackers
Toothbrushes and paste
Shaving Creme
Razors, small packages of laundry soaps
Lunch Buckets, and Just Add Water cups of food.

Please do not mix food and soap items in the same package. The soap really smells up the food!
<<mccann[1].jpg>>

Laurie L