Print Thread
Hop To
C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I see the State discontinued it...looked forward to that for 40 years. For you locals, we`ve hunted out of Redfield, staying at the Wilson. Any general info on bird numbers around that area, down toward Miller, or over by Falkton? Good, bad, or indifferent? We walk ditches.

Thanks

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They discontinued the brood count because the low numbers were discouraging hunters and depressing license sales. The game and fish said it wasn’t accurate anyway. If I can find the press release on this from a couple months ago I will post it.
This year bird numbers should be better than the last 2 years, have seen numerous broods this year where I didn’t see any last year.
It’s been a drier and warmer nesting season and that really helped.
The area you mentioned should be one of the best areas in the state.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

From Iowa, but hunt SD. Generally, hunters here and in SD are optimistic because of a mild winter and then a dry spring all of which is conduce to survival of the hen through the snowy months and the chicks in the spring. Iowa’s survey should happen in a week or so. Am hoping because of the reasons mentioned, the numbers are up.

In SD, and Iowa, people have stated they were seeing more birds this spring and summer.

Part of the thinking behind canceling the early fall survey in SD is, I think, people decidIng to come or not based on that survey; for example, last year the survey showed the numbers down. This was followed by a drop in non-res hunters staying in hotels, buying gas, food, and everything else when somewhere for a week or two.

So, in part at least that’s why - SD - decided to scuttle it.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Last edited by ruffcutt; 09/04/20. Reason: Added info

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Related to this thread and for the same reasons no doubt — a mild winter and dry spring — Iowa’s August pheasant survey showed a significant increase in bird numbers in most of the state. Though survey conditions in the western half of the state were not conducive to anywhere near accurate counts by normal survey means.

That’s because of drought or near-drought conditions wherein a morning dew was barely possible which normally brings pheasant to the roadside to escape the damp growth.

Regardless, the overall result is optimistic for a good fall.

C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks guys...haven`t been out for the past 2 years..the brood count gave some indication of bird numbers...and you`re right low numbers, low hunters...so why try and fool the hunters,,,just pizzes everyone off.
Hunting ditches next to good cover, or recently cut fields produced very good results for us in the past, tho I`ve walked 8 sections at times with no rooster flushes. And that was with the dog. I`ve also filled in 5 minutes.

Redfield was billed as the Pheasant Capital of SD at one time..don`t think that holds true anymore. Anyway, got a hunt planed in Mont. for deer, might try SD after we get back for birds.

Thanks for the info.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Relax, it should be fine....

laissez les bons temps rouler
C
CGPAUL Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Thanks for the vid. Interesting with the WT deer. When we first started going out there, late 60`s,early 70`s, we saw mostly muleys, and some antilope...rapidly changed to all WT. Can`t tell you the last time we saw a muley.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

128 members (44mc, 280ACKIMP, 7887mm08, 35, 6mmCreedmoor, 338rcm, 13 invisible), 1,264 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,221
Posts18,447,506
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.