Campfire Kahuna
Looks like wild cherry

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, sir roundoak. The Wood Grenade.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Here I am whacking some black walnut with the Wood Grenade last spring. A very effective tool.

And here is the wood from that tree. This is my backup to the backup pile. I had no more room in my wood piles so I set a big ladder down on the ground.
This will go into the wood shed in February. This pile is 14 feet x 4 feet high.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Just last week I went up behind the house and cut a dump truck load of larch. Some of the trees were far enough back that I had to either carry the wood quite a distance of throw it twice. So, apart from falling and bucking I handled it twice to get it in the truck, again to split it with the maul, and once more to put it in the shed. The easy stuff, I only handled once to get it in the truck. At least, with the dump truck, I don't have to throw it out of the truck! Two more loads should do it. The larch is fairly nice to work with since there are not too many limbs. Pine kind of sucks in that regard; depending on the individual tree. The next load will be mostly lodgepole pine which has been beetled over the past couple of years and is nice and dry now. Then a dead larch in the campground (have to wait for the campers to leave before I fall that one) and a couple of big ones nearby. I have been heating with wood (augmented by a pellet stove over the last five years) for a long time and I'll confess to getting a little tired of it. A few more years and I'll have to start looking at alternative heating sources. GD

Last edited by greydog; 09/07/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good eye.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's steep and rocky where we cut.
So the formula begins with how far you carry it/how many times you throw it,
to get it near the truck.

With luck, its how many 20 foot chains you hook together to drag the tree
to the road.

Last few years we have bought it.
Got it ordered now.
Hopefully, now that certain issues are settled, I can get back to cutting.
I enjoy it, but it's inconvient.
14 miles away, and a 20 minute crawl out of the woods.
Not something I can do casually, it requires 3 or 4 hours just to
get a load of billets to the house.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The key thing is, how close is the wood to the truck. I don't mind driving 30 minutes to get to the tree. But, it better be right close to the road where I can easily get to it.
About 20 feet is the farthest I want to haul firewood.
I especially am not going to haul cut wood up a mountainside. There are so many trees growing here in the NC mountains, I can afford to be picky.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Here is my backup wood pile. Four feet high and 17 feet long, two stacks side by side. This pile is a jewel, mostly white oak with some locust and ash.
This dries out well it is under the roof of the carport. Lots of sunshine and wind.

Here is my main wood pile, the wood shed. It is a small building, but a big wood shed. Four stacks, seven feet high and seven and a half feet long. My woodshed
dries out wood three times as fast as the carport shed.
In this woodshed I am getting hickory down to 17 percent moisture content in just 8 months. You must have a low moisture content for these new stoves to burn properly.

As much as I like cutting and splitting firewood, this part is almost better.
A 15 degree January day with the big Jotul Oslo cranking. Nothing like the looks, the ambiance, of a wood stove.
Daisy the Beagle also likes the wood stove.
My girlfriend is a city girl she never heard of a wood stove before she met me. Since we got the big Jotul five years ago, she is a wood stove maniac.
She has declared the wood stove as her "new religion." She is as good at lighting and burning it as I am.

The massive glass front of the new Jotul gives a fantastic view of the fire. You just can't touch it with gas logs.

Awesome. Every picture has its special positive features.

Question: How do you split? By hand or machine? I did see you used a hand splitter for some black walnut, but mebbe that was specialized?

I run a 35 ton huskee, and use it on nothing but hardwood. The only thing to slow it down has been big oak rounds over about 36" , which we place on it with a loader.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I split by hand. I have the great classic maul from the previous century, the Monster Maul.
Reluctantly I stepped into the Modern Age a few years ago and bought the Fiskars. It is about 4 pounds lighter than the Monster Maul and works just as well.
I hate to say it but the Fiskars is a better maul.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I wouldn't want to try to heat a 200 year old, giant farm house.

My house looks like it is 200 years old but it is in fact 5 years old. I love the look of the old pioneer houses but it is in fact a modern house with R43 in the ceiling and good insulation in the walls, built snug and tight, because I built it.
This is a 2100 sq. ft. house and I am heating it with 6 Nissan truck loads of wood in a year.
Now this is top quality wood. I don't put any pine in my wood pile this is oak, locust and cherry.

Six truck loads to heat that house. I am envious. You said the truck box is 4'x6'x2' so that is 48 cubic feet. 6 truck loads would be 288 cu. ft.. A standard full cord is 128 cu. ft. So that is 2.25 cords of wood. (Mathman can check my figuring)

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What’s is yurns friggin obsession with firewood is.
Y’all know there are things such as electricity, then central heating and air things, gas and so on and so forth?
I grew up with a wood stove and still have a wood stove on one end of the house and gas on the other end. I like wood heating and for some reason kinda enjoy cutting it. But lets face it it is a pain in the ass. Fell the tree if it’s not down already, Cut it , pile it, load it, unload it, split it, stack it,make kinlin, load it in wheel barrow or 4 wheeler trailer, bring it in the house, put in stove, start fire, keep fire stoked up however many times a day while at then same time adding more wood during the day and night. Keep mess cleaned up and swept up around stove, load ashes in bucket every so often carry outside somewhere, and dump, get gas and oil for chainsaw, mix chainsaw gas and oil, maintain saw/keep maintenance up on chainsaw, keep fuggin chain sharp,
Whole fuggin house smells like wood, clothes smell like wood, go out in a date, guess what your clothes smell like wood, everything smells like wood. Leave house for a few hours or have too be gone for the day for work or whatever reason then you come house colder than heck, hope like heck you at least have enough coals left so you don’t have too start a whole new blankety blank fire again. Oh yes wood heat is so great 🙄🙄
All that being said I still enjoy wood heat with a good roaring fire or a nice fireplace. Yes it’s good as backup or too burn sometimes. But let’s be truthful it’s a fuggin pain in the ass.

Man! If I had all those hassles, I too would give up on wood. Life is much easier with my stove, equipment, and storage all within a few steps, and I've never had anyone comment on a wood or smoke oder in our home or on our persons. If I load our stove up, we can leave for 48 hours and still have fire on the return. Dump ashes and clean chimney once a year. We also have an oil stove and electric furnace if we want to exit for a month, but wood does the bulk of our heating in a 2,400 sq ft two story home. Usually burn here from Oct to first or second week of June.

Last edited by 1minute; 09/07/20.

1Minute
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 1minute
Y’all know there are things such as electricity, then central heating and air things, gas and so on and so forth?
I grew up with a wood stove and still have a wood stove on one end of the house and gas on the other end. I like wood heating and for some reason kinda enjoy cutting it. But lets face it it is a pain in the ass. Fell the tree if it’s not down already, Cut it , pile it, load it, unload it, split it, stack it,make kinlin, load it in wheel barrow or 4 wheeler trailer, bring it in the house, put in stove, start fire, keep fire stoked up however many times a day while at then same time adding more wood during the day and night. Keep mess cleaned up and swept up around stove, load ashes in bucket every so often carry outside somewhere, and dump, get gas and oil for chainsaw, mix chainsaw gas and oil, maintain saw/keep maintenance up on chainsaw, keep fuggin chain sharp,
Whole fuggin house smells like wood, clothes smell like wood, go out in a date, guess what your clothes smell like wood, everything smells like wood. Leave house for a few hours or have too be gone for the day for work or whatever reason then you come house colder than heck, hope like heck you at least have enough coals left so you don’t have too start a whole new blankety blank fire again. Oh yes wood heat is so great 🙄🙄
All that being said I still enjoy wood heat with a good roaring fire or a nice fireplace. Yes it’s good as backup or too burn sometimes. But let’s be truthful it’s a fuggin pain in the ass.

Man! If I had all those hassles, I too would give up on wood. Life is much easier with my stove and equipment, and I've never had anyone comment on a wood or smoke oder in our home or on our persons.

For people that cut and stack their own firewood which part is not true? 🤪

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
We do have a propane heater in the house. We run it when it is a high of 60 and a low of 40.
But we do most of the heat with the Jotul wood stove.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Don't you guys have gas, or electricity?

mike r
laugh Electricity - yes.. Gas - no.. Don't want it either.. Fuel oil furnace for the times wood is too much heat. One 265 tank lasts me 2-3 years, easy. 4 - 5 cords of wood lasts all winter. It's already cut/split at a farm 17 miles E of me.. With tractor and FEL (rock bucket) I can fill my 12' dump trailer in about 15 minutes. Five to six trips and the year's wood is done.. I run the trailer into the pole shed, dump it off and get another load. One hour between loads. Even counting the trailering of the tractor both ways, I'm done inside of ten hours.. Wood costs me $150/full cord. About $800 total including truck fuel.

If I tried to heat the house with only fuel oil it would easily run double+ that.. And there's just nothing like wood heat (inside wood stove - Osburn 2400 model). I stack a full cord on the front porch and have a cart to wheel it into the house. Loading that takes maybe five minutes.

I won't have gas.. Besides, then the gas co. has you by the short hairs.. Can't 'store' natural gas, and LP is really spendy around here..

FWIW... smile smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Originally Posted by 1minute

Man! If I had all those hassles, I too would give up on wood. Life is much easier with my stove and equipment, and I've never had anyone comment on a wood or smoke oder in our home or on our persons.

For people that cut and stack their own firewood which part is not true? 🤪

Well, like 1minute, generally no smokey odor in our house or on our clothes. And my stove is efficient enough should I leave for the day, a nice fire in the morning, a stick or two, depending on diameter, put on when we leave, dampered down, house still well about 60F when we get home, even when it's well below freezing outside.

We have an electric furnace, and even with the lowest electric rates in the State, it serves as backup to the wood heat.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If my biggest problem is that I smell like wood or woodsmoke, I'll be OK. For most of my working life I have always smelled like the work I did. Sometimes like wood/sawdust, somtimes like diesel fuel, cutting oil, Hoppes #9, hay or silage, manure, and a host of other things. Wood smoke is likely one of the more pleasant odors I may exude! GD

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Here is my brother last March showing a white oak drum who the boss is. We got this off of craigslist.
Got 3 Nissan truck loads. It was a 30 minute drive and we could drive right up to the oak trunks.
A great score. That is unusual. Most of the "free firewood" on craigslist is either rotten crappy wood,
or it is where the guy knows he needs a tree surgeon to do a dangerous job, and he is looking for a sucker.

Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by wabigoon
The little I split, I have a tire screwed on a log block, that saves a lot of picking up.

Wabi, I use the same concept, but the tire is portable for splitting when and where needed.

I do something similar, except I use a cam strap and a bungee cord. Some of my rounds are 40+ inches across. I'd have to use a tractor tire.

Carpe' Scrotum
Steve Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Got most of the wood stacked in the new shed. One more load. Was getting warm and I didn't want to drive the tractor in the woods as we're under a fire warning. Finish it up tomorrow or some time this week.

Carpe' Scrotum
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Don't know that I'll ever get tried of using wood for heat. I have just about 100 acres of forested land; Red Oak, White Oak, Black Oak, Hickory, Ash, Maple and Cherry. I use 4-5 chain saws, 20" Huskys and a Stihl 066 with a 36" bar for the really big stuff. I use 2 splitters; one in the woods to break down big rounds for loading, and another where I split and stack wood. I burn probably 6 cords every year from late September thru March. I'm all set for this year, and just marked some standing dead and blow-downs that I'll start bringing in this winter when it's cooler outside. I find it relaxing and great exercise.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.