Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have my BIL, his wife and another couple down for Labor Day doing some salmon fishing. A mutual friend of ours, who’s 80 years of age has been in the hospital trying to recover from a stroke. Due to his declining health, he needs to sell his newer fishing boat, and wifey and me are considering buying it.

Last night we all got word our friend past away. It was unexpected news, since he was expected to recover and come home Tuesday.

Obviously, the boat sale will eventually go through now that he has past. Not exactly how we wanted to find ourselves owning the boat.

Then this morning, wifey heads over to check on our guests and walks in to find the BIL’s friends not at the house. BIL said they had gotten a call from the Clackamas Sheriff’s Dept at 1:30AM informing them that their 24 year old sons raft had been recovered, collapsed with damage on a river in Oregon, and no sign of him.

As of 8:30AM there was no news on locating their son. Our friends have been on the river since 3:30AM helping searches find their son.

We just now got a call from our friends that their son has been found, alive, but tore up.

He’d dumped his raft and without any shoes on had been trying to walk out from downriver, all night.

You can imagine the happiness hearing this news...But, you can’t imagine the fear and sadness of being awaken by a call that your kid is missing on a river knowing he’s probably drowned.

One bad call last night turned into another worse phone call...Shîtty weekend, but the fishing was pretty good.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
BP-B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Walking out at night with no shoes - that'd suck almost as much as being the parents wondering if he was alive or dead. At least it ended well. Sorry about your friend passing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry for their troubles. Bad deal. All's well that end's well though. Praise God.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Sorry for their troubles. Bad deal. All's well that end's well though. Praise God.

I’ll drink to that....Cheers!

😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeReilly
Walking out at night with no shoes - that'd suck almost as much as being the parents wondering if he was alive or dead. At least it ended well. Sorry about your friend passing.

No doubt...Briars and rocks made for slow travels.

Guess we need to toughen up our feet like they do in Africa by walking barefoot everywhere.

😬😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Rough night for sure.

At least the 'young gun' will live to tell his story, and has gained valuable experience.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Any rattlers along that river this time of year?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Guess we need to toughen up our feet like they do in Africa by walking barefoot everywhere.

😬😎

When we were kids, mine and my cousin's feet were tough like that. Then I started wearing shoes but they didn't. Those kids could run all over gravel and stuff without a whimper. I could no longer do that. Dang I wouldn't want to try it now.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Rough night for sure.

At least the 'young gun' will live to tell his story, and has gained valuable experience.

Yep. He learned to heed the old Boy Scout saying.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I stepped on some legos barefoot the other day. For about 8 seconds I was in another galaxy.

Sorry bout your friend’s passing.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Any rattlers along that river this time of year?

No on the Western side of the mountains where he was rafting....East side, you betcha. Buzz tails are everywhere.

😎

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

😬😎

When we were kids, mine and my cousin's feet were tough like that. Then I started wearing shoes but they didn't. Those kids could run all over gravel and stuff without a whimper. I could no longer do that. Dang I wouldn't want to try it now.

Yep. Years ago i spent a week at the lake with it down and about a hundred yards of heavy grained granite sand mixed with thin summer bremuda grass to the back yard.

I made the mistake of thinking id toughen up my feet again like when i was a kid spending summers on the farm in East Texas where us kids only wore tennershoes on Sunday mornings for the obvious to some, social reasons.

Farmed, camped out, fished, hunted squirrels in the woods on some mornings and coons at night with "black n tan" through marshes, swamps, and forests with briars.

White sandy roads to town and crossing the black hwy in August afternoons were rough. On the hot sandy roads you run like heck a way then pull off to the side for the shade of a tree unless you could make it to where there was shade from a tree over the road.

After about 5 days with feet getting worse and hurting like hell when i stepped on that lakeside gravel i gave it up forever.

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/07/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
I stepped on some legos barefoot the other day. For about 8 seconds I was in another galaxy.

Sorry bout your friend’s passing.

My dog loves to place Goat heads in the carpet like land mines for me...Hitting one or two on my way to take piss at 3AM is a party.

😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I ran around with no shoes till I was about 8,9 years old. Had thick callouses on my feet.

Step in dogshît out in the grass it squish out thru your toes. Wash it off with the hose, get a drink from the hose too while there.

Sandspurs were a mfker though.

I ended up getting some sort of parasitic worm about 4” long in the top of my foot. Looked like a vein, thick as a pencil. Mama didnt take me to the doctor for several months. Not sure if it was a money thing or what. My grandparents lit that ass up when they found out. 🤣😂

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I ran around with no shoes till I was about 8,9 years old. Had thick callouses on my feet.

Step in dogshît out in the grass it squish out thru your toes. Wash it off with the hose, get a drink from the hose too while there.

I ended up getting some sort of parasitic worm about 4” long in the top of my foot. Looked like a vein, thick as a pencil. Mama didnt take me to the doctor for several months. Not sure if it was a money thing or what. My grandparents lit that ass up when they found out. 🤣😂

JFC, what kind of crazy parasites do you all got in TN?

Thought that shît was only in the Congo jungles or in Renny’s unmowed back yard.

😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Wow, joyful reunion indeed!

Prob’ly useful for a perspective reset on life too.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

😬😎

I'm barefoot a good part of the day Beav. Can walk out on the gravel driveway to dump the trash, out to the car to get stuff, out on the dirt yard to get wood, and all of that. The driveway is much better since I put 3/8" on top of the 3/4". But it's still not a pleasant walk.

Briars and rocks at night would suck. Bigly. Glad the dude is OK.

Sorry about the old guy.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I still drink from the garden hose. I try not to step in dogshit though and also try to avoid 4" parasitic worms.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M

I still drink from the garden hose. I try not to step in dogshit though and also try to avoid 4" parasitic worms.

Those dots probably connect.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Beav. I'm so glad that the young man was eventually found. Great news during dark times for sure. Our son Zack was called in to work Saturday to search for a presumed drowning on the nearby creek. He was certified for rescue/recovery diving this year and this would be his first dive of this nature. He eventually located the 30 year old young man in the murky waters 22 feet deep and brought him to shore after they cleared the crowd away. He was located just a little upstream from the spot you killed your buck last year.

Some good news: Lots of deer sign down there right now. Got some nice pics of bucks outside the ears!

Hope all is well and I'm sorry for the loss of your friend.

Hank

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
747 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 86 invisible), 2,826 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.