Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have astigmatism. As most people know, astigmatism causes havoc when using non "multiplied" red dots. I would love to use a red dot for the eye relief and eye placement forgiveness when moving but I'm not hitting anything when it looks like a Rorschach inkblot.

I'm struggling with a decision on an AR optic between a prism scope, a low power variable scope, and a red dot with multiplier. I can make an argument for any of those 3 choices. This rifle would be for close in shooting and out to about 100 yards. Regardless of what I choose, it will have iron flip up sights anyway.

Prism scopes offer simplicity, etched glass reticle, glass clarity and possibly magnification. Low power variable scopes probably offer the best glass quality, good close in vision on 1x, etched reticle, magnification and possibly illuminated reticle. The red dot with magnifier offers red dot eye relief and placement forgiveness, clarified dot when used with the magnifier and obviously magnification.

Have you used 2 or more of these options and decided to go with one over the other? Please share your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
ARIC

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't have any RDS/magnifier. The RDS is a non-starter for me, with 59 year old eyes.

I do have prisms in 1X, 3X, and 5X, and a couple LPVO scopes. Primary Arms stuff.

Between the prisms and the LPVO, it's kind of a toss up. I probably like the 3X prism the best for a simple all-arounder. The LPVO offers some added versatility, but it's heavier and bulkier too.

Choices, choices.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Here's something to consider.

Comparing the 1X prism to the 1-6x24 dialed to 1X. In this situation, the reticle on the 1X prism appears quite small. The reticle on the LPVO (2d focal plane model) appears large.

I like the large reticle much better in that comparison.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The red dot looks so bad for me that I'd rather use iron sights if I had nothing else. The red dot coupled with the magnifier offered a sharp dot but the glass wasn't as clear as other choices. Yeah choices choices.

Progressives are the most open minded, tolerant, and inclusive people on the planet, as long as you agree with everything they say, and do exactly as you're told.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
This rifle would be for close in shooting and out to about 100 yards. Regardless of what I choose, it will have iron flip up sights anyway.

Everyone's eyes are different, but for </=100 yards I wouldn't worry about it. Let it flare into a big blog blob, and fire away grin

I have the astigmatism too, and see a "comet" shaped blob instead of a red "dot". That said, I don't find it to be a problem unless I am shooting at 300+ yards.

Are you certain that the RDS is the problem?

Last edited by 4th_point; 09/08/20.
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have it as well and prefer low power variables, since I can focus the reticle. That said, I have an Aimpiint Carbine Optic, and it’s great. My particular brand of astigmatism makes red dots look like an infinity symbol oriented at 45 degrees. I just aim with the same part of the symbol, and make sure the dinner is set to the lowest setting with a visible dot to reduce flare and it works well.

Old70

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have LPVO’s and red dots. I have astigmatism too.

I used to think LPVO’s were the best for me and I suppose they are more versatile but for close range speed shooting, there is no doubt a red dot is faster. I have always cleaned up the dot by using the rear sight and finally figured out that you don’t need a crisp dot up close and at distance you have time to use the sights with the dot and they enhance each other. We were making solid hits on a 2/3rd size silhouette at 300 yards.

I’ve not used a magnifier but looking through one I don’t see the benefit over the extra weight, expense and bulk.

If I had one gun, it’d have a LPVO but given the time to choose for each situation I do like a red dot.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I use a burris 1X6 on mine. I have an astigmatism too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What 4th and TWR said. Have pretty bad astigmatism, too. Not just one comet tail.

Perfect is the enemy of good enough. Am still better, faster with RDS. To 200 yds anyway. With/without iron cowitness to help.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I heard for some people, wearing polarizing glasses help quite a bit.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have and use the Primary Arms prism scopes. I have the 1x Cyclops , the new 2x GLX model and the older 3x scope. I love the 1x and the new 2x model. The older 3x has short eye relief and small field of view.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks, I was looking at the cyclops too.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm no eye doctor but I wonder if there are any red dot sights that have some kind of diopter ring that would allow for some mitigation. If you wear your prescription glasses, do you still have the dot issues>

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just came across this Bushnell prism scope that's 1x and only weighs 4 1/2 ounces without the mount and has an adjustable diopter. Anyone looked at this?

https://www.bushnell.com/red-dots/tac-optics/lil-p-1x-prism-tac-optics-red-dot-sight/BU-BT71XPS.html

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Eotech works well for me. As my astigmatism gets worse im moving away from red dots.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've got an eotech, an aimpoint, 2 Sig's and I find it odd that the Sigs have a cleaner dot to my eyes than the Aimpoint. Trying different red dots might make a difference.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
Just came across this Bushnell prism scope that's 1x and only weighs 4 1/2 ounces without the mount and has an adjustable diopter. Anyone looked at this?

https://www.bushnell.com/red-dots/tac-optics/lil-p-1x-prism-tac-optics-red-dot-sight/BU-BT71XPS.html

I've considered it too, but don't have any good intel on it and don't care for most devices with push buttons.

I still feel that you're overthinking the problem. Unless your astigmatism is really bad, I don't think you should have a problem with a RDS at 100 yards. If you do, are you sure that it isn't the rifle itself or ammo?

With my astigmatism, I've hit 12" plates at 300 yards with my .338 Magnum using a RDS. And my AR rifles with RDS actually shoot as well for me, or better, than using a 2.5x prism at 50 -100 yards. Go figure.

Last edited by 4th_point; 09/08/20.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In the same situation. It is indeed bad enough for me to not want to use RDS. A $60 reflex sight looks better. Might try a prism. Standing by for someone to tell me what I see shouldn't bother me...... Thanks in advance. Love LPVs but want something else in the dark. Open sights are fun as hell too, in the light. Subscribed.

Maybe?
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx-3x32mm-gen-iii-prism-scope-with-acss-556-cqb-m2-reticle

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I am using a Leupold VXR Patrol, LPVO with a firedot. At its lowest setting I can see red dot fairly sharp, most times leave it off using lowest magnification setting.Astigmatism sucks especially now at age 63.

1st John 4:7-8
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
In the same situation. It is indeed bad enough for me to not want to use RDS. A $60 reflex sight looks better. Might try a prism. Standing by for someone to tell me what I see shouldn't bother me...... Thanks in advance. Love LPVs but want something else in the dark. Open sights are fun as hell too, in the light. Subscribed.

Maybe?
https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-slx-3x32mm-gen-iii-prism-scope-with-acss-556-cqb-m2-reticle

I just got one of those 3X with the 5.56 ACSS reticles in, a few days ago. Haven't got it mounted /zero'd yet, but it looks a little safer to shoot now (fire conditions).

I have had the 3X with the 7.62x39 ACSS reticle for a couple years. I like it a lot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
117 members (338reddog, 10Glocks, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 9 invisible), 1,445 guests, and 729 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.