Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I did a salmon boat fishing trip to Canada years ago. We were trolling using reels the guides provided that looked like a fly reel.

Here’s a picture of something similar-

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I guess they call them a “Spooler Reel” or “Mooching Reel”

Reel needs to be saltwater rated. Handle line up to 45lbs.

Would spend up to $350 per reel.

Anyone know who makes a good reel for trolling salmon in this design?

Gracious.

Beave

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Tag for Roger

😎

“Molon Labe”
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
$119.99 at FishUSA for that exact reel. Google mooching reel.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
A few on EBay right now. Search for Shimano Moocher

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
👍🏻
😎

“Molon Labe”
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I used one of those on a guided fishing trip in Canada. I hooked a salmon of just over 30 lbs. and the nut that holds the spool on fell off. Then the spool fell off. I played the fish with my fingers squeezing the line providing the drag. The guide found the nut and put the spool back on while I fought the salmon.

I eventually brought the fish to the net but had a number of white burn lines on my fingers.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doubletap
I used one of those on a guided fishing trip in Canada. I hooked a salmon of just over 30 lbs. and the nut that holds the spool on fell off. Then the spool fell off. I played the fish with my fingers squeezing the line providing the drag. The guide found the nut and put the spool back on while I fought the salmon.

I eventually brought the fish to the net but had a number of white burn lines on my fingers.

Yeah, that was my experience too with these reels....Loved the action!

Grins

😎

“Molon Labe”
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I used similar reels off the coast on BC. Caught lots of salmon up to 30 pounds. They worked great.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thinking I could easily run 60lb - 65lb braid on these reels and be good2go.

😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dey da bomb Beav. I've got a couple downstairs, Diawas are popular too. Look up Islander reels if you want a case of sticker shock!
Personally, I don't see the need to go real high end for these single action mooching reels, they're as simple as it gets. As long as they've got stainless bearings and or otherwise up for salt water use they're awful hard to kill. Trust me. LOL

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Salt,

I did find my way to the Islander Reels...No kidding, them reels are moocho expensive!

I will settle on a couple in a lower price range. Need to get a couple of decent boat rods for them as well.

😎

“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right on then you'll be set. Just don't let them live up to their nickname of knucklebusters the first time a big spring takes off on you! BTDT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sometimes use them for trolling for lake trout, and they are completely trouble free.

Ted

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have a few of the Tyees QR by Trophy. Not an islander but a good reel.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
What’s the draw over a good conventional like the smaller Avets or a good sized Calcutta?

B
B
Hello Beaver10. This style of reel is the most fun you can have salmon fishing. They take a little bit to get used to compared to a level wind and aren't the best for kids or inexperienced fishermen but you've obviously used them so would do fine. I've been using Amundson TMX5 moochers for the past 4 years and really like the reels. They're smooth, have a good drag system and have been trouble free. Just give them a rinse with freshwater after a day on the salt and at the end of the season I take them apart and clean and oil/grease them.

I've also been using a Rapala Shift this season and so far been happy with it. It's got a cork drag like the Islanders but unlike the Islanders have no issues with line creep. That's where the drag has a tendency to let line out gradually while you're trolling. It's a PITA. The Amundson has no issues with that either.

I either run straight 25-30 pound Maxima Ultra green but prefer 65 pound braid and a topshot of 30-40 pound mono. I like the braid for winter fishing where we target the Chinook (blackmouths) down deep on the bottom in anywhere from 80-200 feet of water. You don't get the blowback with the braid like you do mono but you need the topshot of mono to hook the downrigger clip. The braids slippery and the clip won't hold it. I put on about 50'.

For the Fraser mouth fishery that's going on now mono is great and more forgiving as it has a little give to it but the topshot helps with that as well. The braid is also nice as it's really sensitive and you can detect when you pick up the little 10 inch "shakers" which are juvenile salmon. It's a personal preference but most people use mono.

As far as rods go I love my Shimano Techniums in medium-heavy and 10'6". They're a fantastic rod and have the backbone for the big fish but have really sensitive tips. When a seal grabs your salmon which they do regularly you also have a fighting chance of at least getting your gear back.

I have no personal experience with Calvins recommendation but have a buddy that just bought one and really likes it so far and the price is right.

Anyways, I hope this has been of some use to you. Best of luck.

Scott

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Calvin
I have a few of the Tyees QR by Trophy. Not an islander but a good reel.

I think if you're a serious fisherman the islanders are worth the extra dollars. I have 2 islanders and 2 islanders salt water fly reels

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Fugging Beaver10 wouldn't even invite a guy to fish with him.

No reach around I guess.....

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yo Beav' nothing against your preference for weird ff look-alikes but you ever decide that there may be other easily obtainable, inexpensive conventional alternatives easily able to handle your needs as far as power, line capacity and intended use, G-FU up TLD-25. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

322 members (1lesfox, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 27 invisible), 1,682 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,524
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.