Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Finally ditched the 140 Berger due to availability issues, it has been my go to load for years on deer and cow elk. Switched over to the 145 ELDX and the external ballistics have been fantastic with a final load clocking at 3075fps. I have an either sex tag for a fairly open area, any concerns if I treat it like the Berger regarding shot placement?

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Yes--it needs to be behind the shoulder for best results, in my experience. I sank a 162gr ELD-X into the shoulder blade of a cow at ~300yds and it only went into the near side lung.

The same 162gr load blew through an antelope and a mule deer, but for elk I'd be picky with my shots.

God Bless and Shoot Straight
L
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
L
I had similar results last year using 30-06 178 eld-x. Shot a spike at 200 yards on the shoulder. Jacket separated and found it in the opposite arm pit when quartering. But it was still a dead elk.

D
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
D
I’ve seen easily twenty elk shot with different chamberings pushing the eldx. They separate most every time but get the job done, and shoot very well.

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Thank you gentlemen, my hunting partner absolutely swears by it in his 6.5. I will treat it as a simple cup and core and take shots accordingly.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

IC B2

B
byd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
varmintsinc
Are you still shooting the same Tikka 270

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

If the bullet is similar to the ELDX from a 6.5 Creedmore......definitely treat it as you would a Berger! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by byd
varmintsinc
Are you still shooting the same Tikka 270

Yep, little over 6,100 rounds through it and accuracy is still obscene. I shot a ladder at 400 yards with the ELDX that had less than 2 inches of vertical. One of these days I'll shoot it out and rebarrel it for a real long range round. 😁

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by varmintsinc
. . . with a final load clocking at 3075fps.

RL-26?

I've been playing with the bullet in my .270 with H-4831 and H-1000. Not paying the local price for the pixie dust - $51 / lb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Finally ditched the 140 Berger due to availability issues, it has been my go to load for years on deer and cow elk. Switched over to the 145 ELDX and the external ballistics have been fantastic with a final load clocking at 3075fps. I have an either sex tag for a fairly open area, any concerns if I treat it like the Berger regarding shot placement?

Those bullets are going to bounce off even with perfect placement, or maybe not.

You tell us how they work but would be surprised if things don't die quickly.

You should let us know what caliber and cartridge but assuming .277.

Good Luck.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V
Re 26 is still made of unobtainium out here, went with re22 and was pleasantly surprised. I have heard it was not as temp stable as others but load was worked up at 60 degrees, has been shot as hot as 101 a few days ago and no problems.

John, my bad, yes the .277, pushing it at that speed makes it tough to justify a new 6.5 PRC.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Have been taking my elk with the Barnes 6.5 120 gr X bullet starting in 1994. Have never recovered one. Now using the TSX. Took my very mature elk last season with my 6.5 & the 121gr Hammer copper mono. . Due to vegetation only a shoulder shot was open. At the shot the elk drooped. One shot, complete penetration thru both shoulders. Many times broadside shots thru the ribs are not presented. Raking shots from front or back may be your only opportunity to harvest an elk. . This is where the mono copper bullets excel. The ELD-X is a C&C bullet & can fail significantly on raking shots. Plus C&C bullets tend to destroy ( blood shot ) large amounts of precious meat. Copper mono's tend to leave only very small bloodshot area's. As the saying goes , eat right up to the hole. For elk a very tough deep penetrating bullet, properly placed is what my experience has taught me is the best option.

Last edited by Hesp; 08/19/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I would follow Hesp advice. The eldx's I have used on deer were similar in performance to the Amax which is even more frangible than the eldx. I have never been let down by a Barnes bullet. I would see if you can match the eldx with a Barnes 129 LRX and carry both, but if in doubt the Barnes would be first up.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tejano
I would follow Hesp advice. The eldx's I have used on deer were similar in performance to the Amax which is even more frangible than the eldx. I have never been let down by a Barnes bullet. I would see if you can match the eldx with a Barnes 129 LRX and carry both, but if in doubt the Barnes would be first up.

It mystifies me why people consider using bullets about which they have performance concerns. I concur with the Barnes LRX recommendation. Or Nosler AccuBond or ABLR. Or Partition. Or Swift Scirocco II or A-Frame. Or some other bullet that will perform well at a wide range of velocities/ranges/angles. High B.C. and lower bullet cost are way over-rated IMHO.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
V
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
V

It mystifies me why people consider using bullets about which they have performance concerns. I concur with the Barnes LRX recommendation. Or Nosler AccuBond or ABLR. Or Partition. Or Swift Scirocco II or A-Frame. Or some other bullet that will perform well at a wide range of velocities/ranges/angles. High B.C. and lower bullet cost are way over-rated IMHO.

So you have never tried something new and asked about performance? Early on the barnes had lots of problems with failing to expand due to a lack of consistency in both their base materials and design issues, both of which were significantly improved after feedback from the field.

I can't say the basic Hornady interlocks ever disappointed me but I do like to know the abilities and limitations of any product that is new to me.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I would not have any concerns. Two years ago the only shot a mature 6 bull presented was sharply quartering away. At the shot he stopped, so I shot twice more. He then crumpled.

All three shots entered at the rear hip and exited the chest.

This was a 7stw with 175eldx. No grenading, just nickle sized exits and a dead bull.....and a two day pack out.

Last edited by T Bone; 09/07/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Helping a friend load for his Tikka Lite in 270 WSM. Also right at 3075 but with Re-26. Tried Re-19 but couldn't get anywhere near 3100. Super accurate combo with the Tikka. I'd like him to consider an ABLR or Barnes for an elk, but, with this kind of accuracy, it'll be tough to get him to change.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

So you have never tried something new and asked about performance? Early on the barnes had lots of problems with failing to expand due to a lack of consistency in both their base materials and design issues, both of which were significantly improved after feedback from the field.

I can't say the basic Hornady interlocks ever disappointed me but I do like to know the abilities and limitations of any product that is new to me.

I am the same way. If I am ever fortunate enough to go elk hunting, I won't be wondering about how my chosen bullet will perform.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just picked up a Tikka 270. Would you guys mind sharing a good starting load for it. Rifle will be used for deer and elk.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by gonzaga
I just picked up a Tikka 270. Would you guys mind sharing a good starting load for it. Rifle will be used for deer and elk.

I've never been elk hunting but what I hear on here is that a 150 grain Nosler Partition or Barnes TSX or TTSX at about 2800+ FPS is the ticket. For deer I use a 130 grain Sierra Game King over about 57 grans of IMR 4831 or 59.5 grains H-4831. I also like a Ballistic Tip 130 grain. I also have always liked the CT 130 grain Silver Ballistic Tip. But the Sierra is my favorite.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (10gaugemag, 264mag, 16penny, 300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 2five7, 43 invisible), 2,760 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,599
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.