Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
So, I got one of the barreled actions inbound and was looking at McMillans. I have and use a bunch of the Sako Classic's on my Tikka's and like them a fair bit. I was thinking of going with the Sako Classic or a Sako Hunter, both will get the EDGE treatment. I don't really care about a couple ounces here and there with the rifle as it'll likely get topped with a 6 or 10X SS or maybe the 3x9 SS. I don't know what the contour is like on that barrel, but I'd assume it is #2'ish?

Anyhow, any thoughts on stocks?

Semper Fi
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Sako Hunter is my favorite stock I’ve used to date. I have a classic on a vanguard and like it just fine but anymore I order the hunter. That’s what I plan to order for the barreled action I have on the way too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Those stock are very different. I like the Hunter style, but I like raised cheekpieces and a tight radius pistol grip with a palm swell. I've got a pile of them on Howa 1500, Remington 700, Ruger 77, and Weatherby V2s. Not the lightest or most slender McM stock, but they work well for me.

B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Sako Hunter is my favorite stock I’ve used to date. I have a classic on a vanguard and like it just fine but anymore I order the hunter. That’s what I plan to order for the barreled action I have on the way too.

That's good, I was just wondering if the forend would look huge with the barrel, but it seems to look fine.

Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Those stock are very different. I like the Hunter style, but I like raised cheekpieces and a tight radius pistol grip with a palm swell. I've got a pile of them on Howa 1500, Remington 700, Ruger 77, and Weatherby V2s. Not the lightest or most slender McM stock, but they work well for me.

Any pictures of them with the Howa 1500's?

Semper Fi
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I don't take pictures of my stuff, since I already know what it looks like.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't take pictures of my stuff, since I already know what it looks like.

Lol. Ok....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
$250 action in a $700 + stock? I'd have to think long and hard when there some very nice rifles available for a grand..

Actually been a long time gripe with the Howa actions has been a decent factory stock.. can't stomach the Hogue Rubber stock.

g

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

God Bless America
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by beretzs

That's good, I was just wondering if the forend would look huge with the barrel, but it seems to look fine.

Scotty,
Not sure if you’re wondering about the width or length of the forend. I can tell you that The forend on the Sako Hunter model is one of the slimmest in the McMillan line, the only other stock that’s close is the Hunters Edge/Compact pattern, which is as slim, but shorter. I prefer the ergos of the Sako Hunter to the Hunters Edge as it has the Monte Carlo style comb, more closed grip, and palm swell. I have one on my Tikka Superlight and it’s about perfect for me and my son who also uses it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UncleAlps

Wish I had seen that satin walnut Mountaineer stock before the barreled actions sold out.. I'll know where to go from here on.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
So, I got one of the barreled actions inbound and was looking at McMillans. I have and use a bunch of the Sako Classic's on my Tikka's and like them a fair bit. I was thinking of going with the Sako Classic or a Sako Hunter, both will get the EDGE treatment. I don't really care about a couple ounces here and there with the rifle as it'll likely get topped with a 6 or 10X SS or maybe the 3x9 SS. I don't know what the contour is like on that barrel, but I'd assume it is #2'ish?

I have them in sporters to bart 2b. Friends have them in #4 Brux. That’s all it will take but is fine with it. High quality rifles as far as I’m concerned and I couldn’t care less that someone thinks a McMillan is too expensive for it. If these shoot as well as my other vanguards it will get a mcmillian. Since photobucket changed I don’t know how to post pictures but I’d be happy to text them to you when I get back home. I won’t give you some bs about not taking pictures because I know what my stuff looks like.....lol. That could be the stupidest thing I’ve read on the fire in a long time. I know what my daughters look like too but I take pictures of them.

B
beretzs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B

I have them in sporters to bart 2b. Friends have them in #4 Brux. That’s all it will take but is fine with it. High quality rifles as far as I’m concerned and I couldn’t care less that someone thinks a McMillan is too expensive for it. If these shoot as well as my other vanguards it will get a mcmillian. Since photobucket changed I don’t know how to post pictures but I’d be happy to text them to you when I get back home. I won’t give you some bs about not taking pictures because I know what my stuff looks like.....lol. That could be the stupidest thing I’ve read on the fire in a long time. I know what my daughters look like too but I take pictures of them.

I'll shoot you a PM with my #.

Thanks for the heads up on the stock. I'll try to get on the horn with McMillan to order one up.

Originally Posted by Capt_Craig

Scotty,
Not sure if you’re wondering about the width or length of the forend. I can tell you that The forend on the Sako Hunter model is one of the slimmest in the McMillan line, the only other stock that’s close is the Hunters Edge/Compact pattern, which is as slim, but shorter. I prefer the ergos of the Sako Hunter to the Hunters Edge as it has the Monte Carlo style comb, more closed grip, and palm swell. I have one on my Tikka Superlight and it’s about perfect for me and my son who also uses it.

Thank you. I kinda like the Sako Classic more than the Hunters EDGE myself so I see what you're talking about.

Semper Fi
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have several Sako hunter and Mcmillan hunters stocks. The rifles range from 17 rem to 7 Rem mag. Great stocks.

NRA Patron
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Why does it bother you that I don't take pictures of stuff that I own or do?

I've never been interested in photography, so I just don't do it. My Wife takes all of the pictures for the family and I'm good with that.

I have around 80 rifles installed in McMillan stocks and I don't recall ever suggesting that anyone should not buy them. I have a lot of rifles and can't justify the expense of installing McMs on all of them, so I go with a variety of other options on my lesser rifles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GeoW

Wish I had seen that satin walnut Mountaineer stock before the barreled actions sold out.. I'll know where to go from here on.

That straight walnut stock with no cheek piece caught my eye.

God Bless America
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have one in a banser stock that I really like. Only mod needed was to slightly open the barrel channel.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Picked up the Brownell's barreled 6mm Creedmoor action today and dropped it into the Bansner (Alpine) stock I had on hand. Not a bad little rifle, just need to get mounts and rings for a scope and shoot stuff. It probably needs a little more stock fitting as well, but for now I have an idea of what it is going to be.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sweet! And a nice weight considering the small hole in the barrel. My BBl'd action won't be here til next week and definitely won't look as nice or weigh in as light, but it'll be a fine shooter. Congrats.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for posting. Looks like a great stock. Did you take it off another rifle? I expect to pick up my action and stock on Tuesday. Will be interested to see how the weight compares.

God Bless America
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for posting. Looks like a great stock. Did you take it off another rifle? I expect to pick up my action and stock on Tuesday. Will be interested to see how the weight compares.

No this Alpine stock came from Ebay, I'd love to find one more but they are getting scarce.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

358 members (1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 160user, 22250rem, 163bc, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 2,011 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,493
Posts18,452,327
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.