Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Aviator Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Planning on parking on county roads not using any forest service roads...elevation about 8000ft got chains and weight in the back...What do you guys think?

BP-B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

wouldn't do it in Utah especially alone.......

Could be bone dry.........

Could be fightin' 3' drifts

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
What do I think? Good luck. Don't kill someone...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Meh, probably no biggie. My gang didn’t get their first 4x4 until 88 and they started hunting CO in 1955. They had some long and miserable rides out of camp back in the day but with chains, shovels, and come alongs they always made it. The last decade we haven’t had any snow to speak of in the 3rd season. We hunt in the SW part of CO at about 8000ft.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did it for years in Idaho. Snow chains and a shovel. I would try to a find a portable winch.

The cow is where you are, the bull is where you want to be.

No one gets something for nothing unless someone else got nothing for something.
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Aviator
Planning on parking on county roads not using any forest service roads...elevation about 8000ft got chains and weight in the back...What do you guys think?

Short of an all out major storm, you're good. Somehow we managed to get around in elk country for decades before Al Gore invented 4wd pickups..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I just find it easier to plan for a worst case scenario rather then dealing with it on the fly. I do about 3-4 out of state hunts a year. It can ruin a hunt, or worse.

YMMV...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Get yourself a Wyeth-Scott "More Power Puller". It is a 3-ton, 6000#, vertical lift hand winch that will pull 12,000# equal to the slope that electric winches are rated. If you can find an anchor point it would most likely get you out of a ditch.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd rent a 4wd.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
My 3/4 ton '69 GMC two wheel drive did just fine getting me up to the trailhead for many years. You'll be fine with the good advice above here!

IC B3

A
Aviator Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks for all the advice! I realize if a major snow event is in the picture I’ll rent a 4wd...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You'll do better with your 2wd and chains, than most of the 4wd's you can rent.....

A
Aviator Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks huntsman22! I agree.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

You need 4x4 and chain up up all 4 tires on steep icy mountain roads. I would have died more than once driving a 4x2 with 2 chains on steep icy mountain roads. These are FS roads with steep drop offs

probably get by on the lower elevation roads with 4x2 with weight in the back and rear tires chained.

like huntsman stated chains are advised. Plus a tow strap and shovel

Last edited by ribka; 09/08/20.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Just a uggestion . . .

Make sure you have something substantial back AND front to connect the "portable winch or come-a-long to.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Another arrow in the quiver...

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/14529736/tracgrabber

When things go south, sometimes the more options the better.

Last edited by 4th_point; 09/08/20.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
l drove from Fort Collins, Colorado to Laramie, Wyoming on Hwy 287 for many years with a 2wd., 3/4 pickup, limited slip rear end, V bar chains, snow tires and a 3406 Cat engine block in the bed. Went around the gates, even in the blizzards. Only problem was the snow would pack in the grill and overheat the engine, and had to clear it out often. I was young and had a good looking wife !

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Get yourself a Wyeth-Scott "More Power Puller". It is a 3-ton, 6000#, vertical lift hand winch that will pull 12,000# equal to the slope that electric winches are rated. If you can find an anchor point it would most likely get you out of a ditch.
Carry one with you. You need 2 steel fence posts cut off about 3' above the fin, a big hammer, and some strong non-stretchy rope.
Drive a post where you need an anchor, leaning a bit away from the truck. Drive it until the fin is totally buried, deeper in soft soil or sand. Drive the 2d one about 3 or 4' behind it the same way. Tie the rope to the top of the front post and take a few wraps to the bottom of the 2d post. Welding a couple cross pieces to the posts will help keep the rope from slipping. Tie your winch rope to the bottom of the 1st post.
If you anticipate sandy soil, add a 3d post.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The absolute vast majority of my critters were accessed by foot after driving main roads a smart car could get down, but when you need 4 wheel drive, you need it.

There's no substitute for chains, especially on ice but they're a total PIA to put on for small runs of nasty spots or icy hills. Way easier to flip the 4x4 switch, then go back to 2WD when you're through it. Sometimes 4x4 doesn't do squat for you if the ice is slick enough and you throw a hill into the mix. That's when chains are worth triple their weight in gold.

Just a couple things to think about.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chaining up the back wheels of a 2WD pickup will get you moving, but you'll head to wherever physics wants you to go. Chains on the front allows you to actually steer too.

Just one more thing to think about.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Adding a locker in the differential of a 2wd will get you into some amazingly rough places. However, it can also put you in the ditch if you use it on slick roads. Once you start to slide, it will keep you sliding.

― George Orwell

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
My father use to say "a 4 wheel drive only enabled you to get stuck in more inaccessible places" and he would never by one. He put weight in the truck bed and chains on in the snow. As kids my brother and I would ride the rear bumper to add additional weight to get in and out of our regular hunting area. Shovels and come-a-long came in handy a few times.

I of course did not listen to him and have owned eight different 4WD vehicles, but I still carry the chains and come-a-long plus I have locking differentials front and rear in my hunting truck.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, you lock up a truck front and rear and air it down a bit and you really can't stop em.

Semper Fi
A
Aviator Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
All good info! Here’s a question what type of tire chains would you all recommend?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
All good info! Here’s a question what type of tire chains would you all recommend?

The kind Les Schwab sells, so if there is a problem with them, they will handle it, no questions asked. There is usually a Les Schwab where I am hunting and they've been nothing but great to me for tires, chains and random things that happen in elk country!

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V bar. Don't even consider cables. Take some 8-10" long pieces of 2x4 to get the tires up off the ground when chaining up.

Get the chains as tight as possible and don't keep the "inside" side somewhat loose and then put tighteners on the "outside", if that makes sense. The chains will slide off either side of the tire and will be around your axle or on the ground in no time. Hopefully my rambling here makes sense.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
V bar. Don't even consider cabels. Take some 8-10" long pieces of 2x4 to get the tires up off the ground when chaining up.

Get the chains as tight as possible and don't keep the "inside" side somewhat loose and then put tighteners on the "outside", if that makes sense. The chains will slide off either side of the tire and will be around your axle or on the ground in no time. Hopefully my rambling here makes sense.

Well written. It makes perfect sense when you're putting them on!

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
V bar. Don't even consider cables. Take some 8-10" long pieces of 2x4 to get the tires up off the ground when chaining up.

100%

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My father use to say "a 4 wheel drive only enabled you to get stuck in more inaccessible places" and he would never by one. He put weight in the truck bed and chains on in the snow. As kids my brother and I would ride the rear bumper to add additional weight to get in and out of our regular hunting area. Shovels and come-a-long came in handy a few times.

I of course did not listen to him and have owned eight different 4WD vehicles, but I still carry the chains and come-a-long plus I have locking differentials front and rear in my hunting truck.
The way I see it, you drive a 4x4 until you have to chain up. THEN you turn around and use them to get out, 2 or 4 as needed. If you high center it, that's a whole different story.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Just came over Willow Creek Pass on Colorado state highway 125, between Walden and Granby. It was raining in Walden but the pass had slush, then dropping temp and 3 inches of snow on top. Got stopped by some poor bastages pullling a pop up camper trailer with a 2wd truck with all season tires. No chains. They jack-knifed and blocked the highway. Unhooked the trailer but they still couldn’t go forward or backward. Pushed the trailer to the side. This all happened in a narrow spot and we are lucky that the logging trucks were done for the day. Thought we could pull Them with my 4wd GMC but couldn’t pull up and I sure as hell wasn’t going to pull down with them above me...afraid they would toboggan right into me. My chains were way too big for their tires and I really didn’t want to part with them anyway. And of course no cell service or Onstar. Another guy with a nice new 4wd F250 came along, had the right size ball to pull their trailer, so was going to try to pull the camper to a wide spot where they could camp for the night, but they said they were unprepared, no warm clothes etc. Once I got down into cell service I called this in to the Jackson County sheriff who sent a deputy up to check, but not sure a tow driver can be found etc. Moral of the story I guess is to confirm everything already said above. This all happened on a nice paved and maintained state highway, but in this area there is now plowing after 5 pm.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I have a set similar to these for my car that I've never used. They just happen to fit my camp trailer so I carry them when hunting to use as drag chains if things get nasty. I haven't needed them yet but I have them if I do. Trailer chains can save your butt sometimes.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Adding a locker in the differential of a 2wd will get you into some amazingly rough places. However, it can also put you in the ditch if you use it on slick roads. Once you start to slide, it will keep you sliding.

Oh so true..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by riverdog
Just came over Willow Creek Pass on Colorado state highway 125, between Walden and Granby. It was raining in Walden but the pass had slush, then dropping temp and 3 inches of snow on top. Got stopped by some poor bastages pullling a pop up camper trailer with a 2wd truck with all season tires. No chains. They jack-knifed and blocked the highway. Unhooked the trailer but they still couldn’t go forward or backward. Pushed the trailer to the side. This all happened in a narrow spot and we are lucky that the logging trucks were done for the day. Thought we could pull Them with my 4wd GMC but couldn’t pull up and I sure as hell wasn’t going to pull down with them above me...afraid they would toboggan right into me. My chains were way too big for their tires and I really didn’t want to part with them anyway. And of course no cell service or Onstar. Another guy with a nice new 4wd F250 came along, had the right size ball to pull their trailer, so was going to try to pull the camper to a wide spot where they could camp for the night, but they said they were unprepared, no warm clothes etc. Once I got down into cell service I called this in to the Jackson County sheriff who sent a deputy up to check, but not sure a tow driver can be found etc. Moral of the story I guess is to confirm everything already said above. This all happened on a nice paved and maintained state highway, but in this area there is now plowing after 5 pm.

Friggin' yuppies..........

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have a set similar to these for my car that I've never used. They just happen to fit my camp trailer so I carry them when hunting to use as drag chains if things get nasty. I haven't needed them yet but I have them if I do. Trailer chains can save your butt sometimes.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Those "diamond shape" chains drive smoother, don't "lift" off the tire as much when traveling more 15mph, and consequently allow for more clearance on today's yuppie trucks--especially on the front axle. Of course, they're more expensive too.......

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
+1 to the above advice. Get four V-bar chains, with just two on the rear axle, you may not be able to prevent the front axle from sliding sideways on a crowned or tilted road. Four chains will really help with braking on icy downhills.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
In 2018 the paved roads were all clear in South Central CO, but above 8000' or so on forest service roads snow was 10"+ in a lot of places. Lots of steep dropoff's. I wouldn't have been there in a 4X2 truck. I brought chains for all 4 wheels, but didn't need them. Later in the week as the snow melted it turned to mud. The only time I had any trouble was meeting a 4X2 truck going up while I was coming down in a muddy section. He only wanted 1/2 the road, the middle 1/2. I got too close to the edge and slid into a ditch. It took a few tries, but I managed to drive out. I bought a winch when I got home.

A lot of guys were trailering ATV's to just where pavement ended and using them at higher elevations where snow/mud was worse.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15215332#Post15215332

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Hope you're not planning on hunting in Colorado. If you're trying to stay at or below 8,000' elev., you will have to be driving in tunnels, because most of the mountain towns are at elevations above 8,000', and the parking areas on county roads and trailheads are even higher.

You will have to drive higher than that to hunt elk in Colorado. But, if you stay on county roads, have lockers (positraction) in the differential, and weight in the back, then you still ought to be OK if you have chains and KNOW HOW TO USE THEM.

Last edited by KC; 09/12/20.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Here are the current tire chain ratings. Some new trucks tell you to use type S on the front as there isn't enough clearance for U's. My Dodge 2500 is that way but by using narrower tires, I can run U's without any problems.

SAE class S:
Regular, non-reinforced passenger tire chains and cables for vehicles with restricted wheel well clearances.

SAE class U:
Regular, non-reinforced and lug-reinforced passenger tire chains for vehicles with regular, non-restricted wheel well clearances.

SAE class W:
Passenger tire chains that use light truck components, as well as some light truck chains.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Once you have been in a truly bad situation you will never be without 4WD .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if it is 'truly bad' out, 4WD won't help..... it only helps if thing are 'kinda bad'.....

A
Aviator Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Clynn

I’ve been in a bad situation in a 4wd truck in the mountains, had to walk 4 miles to a logging camp paid a guy on a skidder to come get us out of that mess it was ugly! Don’t plan on getting into that kind of situation again! Been 39 years ago...Huntsman22 is spot on!

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have hunted 12-13-23 all four seasons I never needed chains or 4 wheel drive..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Go for it. you'll either hunt with your 2WD or you'll stay home.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by huntsman22
if it is 'truly bad' out, 4WD won't help..... it only helps if thing are 'kinda bad'.....

One snowy night years ago, we parked my little 16' camp trailer about 50 yds from the road. I had a '72 Blazer to pull it. During the night, the snow tuned to rain and by daybreak it was a muddy mess. I put a set of chains on the rear, 'drove' 5 yds and put the other set on the front. The next 30 miles to a solid road took us over 3 hours. We weren't sinking in but it was so greasy that the trailer was swaying from barrow pit to barrow pit even at 10 mph.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Yep . No 4Wd , no go .

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I’ve been in a bad situation in a 4wd truck in the mountains, had to walk 4 miles to a logging camp paid a guy on a skidder to come get us out of that mess it was ugly! Don’t plan on getting into that kind of situation again! Been 39 years ago...Huntsman22 is spot on!

If it gets that bad, its nice having a winch as well...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Amen .

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

And that gets into a whole new discussion on what you tie the winch hook to if there aren't any trees handy.

― George Orwell

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I'll be in CO for 2nd rifle in a 2wd as well. My buddy is meeting me there in a 4x4 suburban though. I'll have snow chains, hi lift and a warn on a hitch mount if needed, but we plan to just get mine to camp and then hunt from his. If its bad, i'll pay to leave it somewhere in town I guess. I have 2 broncos that I use here and the 2wd f150 is my road vehicle. If I drove one of my broncos 1700 miles id have to remortgage my house to pay for the gas.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Phoneman
I'll be in CO for 2nd rifle in a 2wd as well. My buddy is meeting me there in a 4x4 suburban though. I'll have snow chains, hi lift and a warn on a hitch mount if needed, but we plan to just get mine to camp and then hunt from his. If its bad, i'll pay to leave it somewhere in town I guess. I have 2 broncos that I use here and the 2wd f150 is my road vehicle. If I drove one of my broncos 1700 miles id have to remortgage my house to pay for the gas.

Four wheel drives were not around to much in the fifties. Wonder how granpa did it, in his station wagon!

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I grew up with 2 wd trucks, never again. I use 4wd around the place all year around, on all road surfaces.
The front wheel assist tractor is a Godsend too.
I have pulled out 2wd pickups with a team, 4wd trucks and my tractors, never the other way around

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

For the worst situations, including mud, it would be V-bar for me as previously mentioned by others.

However, on many trucks you won't have clearance for anything but cable chains on the front due to the upper A-arm. In those cases, I have used Z-chains. Not as good as a V-bar in the nasty stuff, but overall a more useful chain in my opinion, especially on icy roads and mixed conditions.

And with two sets of Trac-Grabbers, I don't feel unprepared. They are way more aggressive than any chain, as they essentially create large paddles on your tires.

I also carry a compressor, backup tire pump, and Hi-Lift. A bottle jack or exhaust jack isn't a bad idea, but a Hi-Lift is quick and easy to use. Assuming that the operator knows how to use it safely.

I have also winched with a Hi-Lift, but in many cases when I have gotten stuck, there was no anchor available. A deadman is sometimes an option, but can be a lot of work.

Last edited by 4th_point; 09/17/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Hi Lift jacks are good for pulling out fence posts. That's about it. Worthless in the field on any newer vehicle. No place to hook the jack and with suspension on newer vehicles that have 10" plus of play, the jack is precariously balanced if you can manage to get the wheel off the ground at all. Spend the money on a quality winch. Many of the back roads in CO are no place for most stock 4x4's let alone a 2wd with or w/o chains. Unless you have a locker, that 2wd is more like 1wd. The weather will be bad at some point when you are here. Guaranteed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Hi Lift jacks are good for pulling out fence posts. That's about it. Worthless in the field on any newer vehicle. No place to hook the jack and with suspension on newer vehicles that have 10" plus of play, the jack is precariously balanced if you can manage to get the wheel off the ground at all. Spend the money on a quality winch.

I have been stuck in places with nothing to anchor to, so a winch won't do you any good unless you create a dead man. That can be difficult in frozen ground. And in good conditions it can still be a fair amount of work, when a Hi-Lift can often get you out of many stuck situations in a minute or two.

I won't disagree on the merit of a good winch, especially for true offroading or a work truck. However, most people who stay on road systems would be investing in something that they may never use. I don't think most people want the extra cost, weight, and suspension upgrades. A Hi-Lift or good bottle jack are probably sufficient for them. Advantage to a Hi-Lift is that you can also winch with it.

Of course, a good tow strap is something that everyone should have. I have pulled many people out of the ditch with a tow strap. But the people stuck didn't have a strap of their own, and neither did other passersby.

I have unstuck numerous vehicles with a Hi-Lift. Diesel ranch trucks, Jeeps, 1/2 trucks, SUV, etc. I know for a fact that it works. A receiver shackle or wheel attachment works on rigs that don't have suitable bumpers or sliders rated for jacking. Easy grin

Image from MileMarker:

[Linked Image from milemarker.com]

Last edited by 4th_point; 09/18/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No place to hook the jack and with suspension on newer vehicles that have 10" plus of play, the jack is precariously balanced if you can manage to get the wheel off the ground at all.

This works extremely well, if you know how to safely use a Hi-Lift. Note that you directly lift the tire off the ground, and not the suspension.

From Hi-Lift:

[Linked Image from 2r572y21vf2s1oltxh158y45-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
4TH Point. The jack works very well in that application, however I have flat out never seen an elk hunter head into the woods with a purpose built Jeep. Rock crawling, yes; hunting no. I'm sure it's happened, but I've never seen it and that's over a 24 year period. The OP was talking about a later model pickup. The hooks in the hilift rim/wheel strap don't work with most aluminum wheels, so it's not even an option on newer trucks. I don't disagree with you and the usefulness of a hilift in certain applications, but in my experience elk hunting hasn't been one of them. If you can use it as a winch, a dedicated winch will work better, and with modern vehicles I'll take bottle jack over the hilift. Tow straps are paramount, should be standard gear in any off road vehicle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
4TH Point. The jack works very well in that application, however I have flat out never seen an elk hunter head into the woods with a purpose built Jeep. Rock crawling, yes; hunting no. I'm sure it's happened, but I've never seen it and that's over a 24 year period. The OP was talking about a later model pickup. The hooks in the hilift rim/wheel strap don't work with most aluminum wheels, so it's not even an option on newer trucks.

I wouldn't claim that the wheel attachment works on all aluminum wheels, but I have used it on factory Super Duty, GMC 3/4-ton, and Tundra wheels among others. I'm sure that there are wheels that are not compatible, but it isn't hard to make your own attachment or adapter if so inclined.

That said, I still prefer lifting from the receiver and pushing the truck to one side or another if that is an option. Or simply lifting the rear tires off the ground and putting wood or rocks underneath. Even with the suspension droop, I've not had a problem doing it on a factory vehicle. That has worked for the vast majority of times that I, or others, have gotten stuck.

I do see custom Jeeps and Truggys out hunting, but that wasn't the point of that image above. Another from Hi-Lift:

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

It seems like you know what can happen. I'd just take some chains, work gloves, shovel, tow strap, maybe a shackle or two, and a jack of your choice. Your factory jack might be good enough. And some scrap wood. Just some smaller sections of boards. Stuff that many people carry anyway.

Those simple items can often get you unstuck from common mishaps. If you go into a big ditch or worse, you might need outside help anyway.

A way to inflate your tires is handy too, once you get back to pavement, if you end up airing down. I have a compact trail compressor, but have even used cheap Slime compressors. And even hand and foot pumps. It's slow though! Or drive slow to the nearest service station.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Phoneman

You're good. Carry two sets of rubbers in case one breaks. Don't let these guys scare anybody.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 4th_point
[quote=Mountain10mm]

With today's yuppie trucks those are a necessity and work very well--I have one for each of my Hi Lifts in all four of my pickups. Although some of today's wheels don't have anything to hook on to.

Last edited by alpinecrick; 09/18/20.

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

You're good. Carry two sets of rubbers in case one breaks. Don't let these guys scare anybody.

Good advice. No use in chancing it, no matter how much beer is involved.
Kids are expensive I hear.

It’s just like anything else, can ya do it? Sure...should ya do it ehh. I never really understood the concept of a 2wd truck

Last edited by 171farm; 09/19/20.
A
Aviator Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Lots of good advice!

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
4wd is one of those things...you never need it, till you need it! If you're willing to let the weather dictate your plans, maybe you'll be just fine. Do you have a good weather app on your phone? I personally do not feel great not having 4-wheel-drive when hunting, though I haven't done it since I was 17. I was driving a bone-dry dirt road in a 2wd, long bed Chevy and got stuck trying to make a 3-point turn into a sandy wash. I'd feel better with 4wd, or at least a winch.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

This!
We hunted a lot in 2WD. You've gotten good advice. Money spent on a Power Puller is money well spent. Add a tree saver strap, and some 5/16" cable or rope. You may get delayed but you won't stay stuck.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
152 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 13 invisible), 1,467 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.