Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15206945 09/08/20
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Due to a couple of bad influences...cough dave7mm cough aalf...I wanted to build my first long(er) range rig. Mostly banging steel out to 1k...some paper...maybe try PRS at some point.

I still have to bed it and get glass on her...but finally got my barreled action back today.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

-Kelbly Atlas Tactical action
-Bix n' Andy Dakota trigger (likely to be a tacsport later if I wanna go lighter)
-6.5mm 8twist Bartlein 5r #13 Sendero/rem varmint profile
-Manners PRS-2 in midnight camo
-Seekins precision DBM M5 bottom metal
-Kelblys new self timing muzzle brake "The Claw"

Chambered by Kelblys in 6.5x47 Lapua

Weighs in just shy of 10lbs as she sits.

My first custom rifle....and I'm smiling ear to ear like a kid on Christmas.

Hopefully get her bedded tomorrow and start breaking her in next week.

Between flathead fishing, hunting season, and life...I won't get to get real serious till about February unless I kill a buck early. Too many hobbies...not enough time. I have a few couple periods where there's nothing to hunt or catch...which is when I will shoot heavy.

Thought I'd share since I posted a teaser a while ago.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sweet rig! Kudos to you!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad to be of help.
Now get that puppy bedded and broke in so you can play with the armymen.
We can start planning your next project.
This winter.
You can't stop at just one you know
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice.

Yup.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx all! I'm anxious to see how she shoots!

Just got done bedding. I feel like all went well. My....3rd bedding job.

Loaded some dummy rounds prior to bedding to run a function test. Ran through a 5rd mag a few times without a hiccup. The ejector in this action is no joke. If you run it hard, you'll be flinging brass! Lol. I sent a dummy round across the basement.

Chamber job seems spot on. Just kissing the lands with 140s at max mag length. So I should have plenty of options and not having to worry about mag length limitations.

Hoping to run 130gr Berger Hybrids. But I have a variety to test.

Stay tuned. Lol

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Looks sweet

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
About ten minutes from Kelblys here. Will have to go inside next time I am there shooting and check out the gunsmithing going on. I might get to see some 24hr rifles before the owners do wink

Nice rifle. Hope it shoots great for ya

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I can't say enough about Kelbly's. There's something to be said about a family business that has lasted a few generations. Their customer service is just awesome. They definitely want their customers to be happy.

One thing I wanted to note....as far as Manner's Stocks go. I've read a LOT of horrible inletting stories. Of course it was after I decided that was the stock I wanted. The Kelbly Atlas Tactical is a 700 footprint...but has a trigger hanger that almost always gets in the way. My Seekins bottom metal is also not super common...m5 bottom metal is NOT all the same...there's no specific dimensions...so, my order wasn't exactly common.

One of 3 things either happened.

#1 Manners inletting has gotten world's better real fast
#2 I got lucky
#3 there's a bunch of guys typing bad press that's not warranted.

I'm not sure what the case is. My stock was a completed flat top on Manners website. I ordered it and specified my barrel, action, and bottom metal. The barrel is perfectly centered (drives me NUTS when the barrel channel is jacked up). Everything else dropped in. Everything functioned perfectly.

I'm very happy with how this has all come together.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Congrats! I like the cartridge choice. Have fun with her.

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice looking rig, I like the stock color for sure

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Top shelf stuff right there......turned out mighty fine.

Bet you're cooking up the next one already.......a disease w/o a cure......embrace it...... grin

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by aalf

Bet you're cooking up the next one already.......a disease w/o a cure......embrace it...... grin

I have a few friends and we have started the "gun whore's anonymous" group, we have our sponsor's on speed dial (like that really helps..lol) I am one of the founding members.....
Trying to figure my next build out now.....

Last edited by pullit; 09/10/20.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice, sure is a lot of barrel there, should get top speeds.......and bughole being a 47 and quality rig.

What length tube are you running? Should recoil like a 22.....LR.

Enjoy

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx all!

Not planning a next one....yet. Lol.

Upgrading some reloading stuff....I need a quality scale and a chronograph.

Then going to put a good piece of glass on top. I tore my shop apart. I couldn't find one of them NightForce scopes sitting around like Aalf seems to always find....hahaha.

The barrel looks long in the one pic because I was actually at a frontal angle to get it all in a picture....it's 26"...the brake is another 2".

I mounted a Vortex HST 6-24 ontop for now. Tips the fish scale at about 12.25 pounds. That scope is probably a smidge lighter than whatever will end up on there. Figure it'll be 13-14 pounds all up with an upgraded scope and bipod.

The Viper will get me shooting atleast. Will be a bit before I'm ready to get serious.

Finished the bedding cleanup tonight. Then mounted the scope. Should be at the range Sunday or Monday when I'm off. Might even start sneaking a couple rounds in before work. I'm anxious. Lol.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes I was thinking 26 plus, that puts that brake further out so that will help you ears as well. I'm sure it will bughole. Enjoy!

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M

Really happy with the overall look and feel of the rifle. That's just the HST on too for the time being. Will definitely be enough to get me shooting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like the stock and the paint scheme.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I do too...I didn't wanna wait nearly a year for a custom order. Some of the Manners patterns aren't my thing. The Midnight molded camo was one of my top picks. Now, I'd say it is probably my top pic. Real happy with the overall look. When you chunk out that kinda change on a rifle, it should perform...but should look good doing it IMO.

The stock was a tough choice. I wanted something that'll kinda do it all and do it all fairly well. That's a tough bill to fill for a rifle stock. A lot of my shooting will be prone off a bipod and bag. Some off a bench. Some off a benchrest. Some practical situational shooting...is it perfect for any of that?? No. Will it do well? I think so. The forearm is 2" and dead flat. The toe is flat. The adjustable cheekpiece is nice and functional. The grip works well for me. It actually balances great with that barrel and everything. You can see by that pic...she sits dead flat by herself.

I put a lot of thought into the build and tried to check a lot of boxes. If I decide I wanna shoot PRS I can add rails or whatever I wanna do. I will probably mount my bipod to a pic rail that'll mount in place of the 2 front studs.

Really comfortable rifle stock.

Besides shooting for my own enjoyment, My local club does weekly steel shoots out to 1K I plan to start shooting after I get a load tuned.

It'll be a while before I get serious. Too many hobbies this time of year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10Glocks, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 52 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,978
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.