Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
AZmark Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I live on the East AZ border near some of the best elk/deer country in the states of both AZ and NM and love hunting. I've had problems using my compound bow for several years now due to a chest injury from a fall and now have back problems that's going to require surgery soon. Because of this I had decided to just give it up. But last week when both my sons were visiting and bow hunting I wanted to be out with them so have decided to obtain the AZ permit that allows me to use a crossbow.

So looking at crossbows there's so much out there it is mind boggling. So was wanting to hear from people that had been hunting with crossbow some of the pros/cons of the different designs. From what I've read so far I'm leaning towards a recurve crossbow just because I like simplicity and always hated trying to tune my old compound.

So.....are the recurves easier to maintain that the compounds like the ads state? Or what?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
BP-B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by AZmark
So.....are the recurves easier to maintain that the compounds like the ads state? Or what?

Short answer - yes.

Excalibur Micro series of crossbows are about as simple as you can get. We have an elk and several deer down within our circle of hunting associates.

Very few of the compound style compounds are self service without a press, all of the Excalibur are able to be worked on at home.

Recurves are typically somewhat “louder” than the compounds on the shot , but it’s a judgement call by your calibrated ear. Older Excaliburs were quite a bit louder, the newer Micro models are much better.

Plus, they have a new take down feature that allows the bow to come off for travel and storage, pretty slick.I was concerned that taking the bow off may shift the zero, in two years - hasn’t been a problem. Out of three I’ve handled regularly, none have had a shift.

There are a lot of good compound crossbows on the market, but very few of the lower end will handle repeated practice over several months before season, without at least one rebuild or replacement of the string and cable. YMMV

Last edited by AH64guy; 09/09/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you enjoy doing the work yourself and are good at it, go for the recurve. As mentioned, Excalibur is a great brand with a great reputation. If you need help, use whatever your bow shop recommends, as they will be setting it up and maintaining it.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Excalibur crossbows are accurate and reliable due to their design but recurve limbs require 2x more draw weight than a compound crossbow to achieve equal speed. A hand crank really helps

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
excal. come with a crank on some new models ,if not they sell one that is removable. if you can use a allen wrench you can fix any prob. you mite have. i hunt with 8 or 9 people that have one . other than retying the serving on the string when it wears out [ keep it waxed ] and we shoot them a lot. we have not had a prob. that was the bows fault

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty good 'splaining.

My Excalibur has been one of the simplest pieces of sporting gear to get up and running I've ever owned, exceeded only by a shotgun. If I were getting one now, I'd spring for one with the integral crank, not available when I got mine. A crank is probably mandatory for someone with an injury.

Have my rowing machine cranked up somewhat now, and the rope cocker is fine for me now for as many shots as I typically take for practice, maybe six or so, but the crankwill be still used at the car when I go in the woods. They say it's more consistent than the rope but I can't prove it from my targets.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ghostman
Excalibur crossbows are accurate and reliable due to their design but recurve limbs require 2x more draw weight than a compound crossbow to achieve equal speed. A hand crank really helps

Not long ago my neighbor, his son, and a friend were out practicing with their xbows, compounds all, and the friend was cocking his by hand, no rope required, but he's pretty beefy. Cocking my Matrix Bulldog 380 requires 130 lbs with the rope.

I've been futzing around with sights for months, but finally put the Excalibur Twilight DLX back on, in upgraded rings. Nothing else I tried was as easy and sure at various ranges, up to 50 so far. Doubtful I'll ever shoot that far hunting, but nice to know it can be done.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
I just looked at a bear constrictor with my buddy. He is getting it. It will be my next one.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Do a little searching in this forum. There are pages and pages of good advice and opinions on this topic.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Everyone has their favorites. I had to switch from compound now to crossbow due to aging and shoulder issues. I'm 51. I didn't know a lot about crossbows but bought a Barnett Whitetail Hunter II and have been very satisfied with it. Nearly 400fps, phenomenal accuracy, quiet, compact, decent scope and good trigger. For around $500, I consider it a great value and don't know what more you could ask of a crossbow. Some may criticize Barnett for being the low end, but I love mine and it's performed well. Mine comes with the cocking rope with handles and capable of outfitting with a crank, but it's not needed. I've shot several feet with it and hope to fill tags again this year. I use Rage broadheads. Just my experience.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dog's ice cream man picked up a used bow, make unknown, at a pawnshop and proceeded to kill the first deer he saw. I think he spent a couple hundred. So you don't have to drop a fortune on one to hunt even if you buy a new one. Long term, it might be wise to look carefully and maybe buy used until you know more about what you prefer. My only gripe with mine is the weight, which is why I tried other sights that saved me a pound, but in the end, being able to quickly aim and fire at pre-ranged distances won out. The first deer I shot with it was smacked within about three seconds from the time she stepped into view at 35 yards.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Check out crossbownation.com those guys over there are into crossbows like the ones on this forum are rifles.The questions you are asking gets answered frequently .

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I want Excel Micro and like it. However, it isn't about the bow. Excel is a lot of money.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
We use 10 points. Wife is disabled so the crank on her older stealth ss is a big plus. I can't complain about the warranty either. I've broke it and told the dealer it was my fault and to just fix it. 10 point still covered it

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if you are just hunting i think any of the name brands will work .we shoot our xcal. a lot at camp . it is easy to shoot one 70/80 times a day on sat. and sunday 6 weekends of bow season plus at home

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona
I want Excel Micro and like it. However, it isn't about the bow. Excel is a lot of money.

I just bought a Excalibur 340 Mag. Sales price was reasonable and it's a terrific bow

hunted with it yesterday and just kept holding it because I love it so much

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Being that you had an injury I'll add this different take. This will be my first year bow hunting so I'm new to it. I researched a bunch. Ended up with an R26 Ravin. Was hard to part with that kind of cash but I feel it was a good decision for me. I tore my left bicep a couple years back which is my forearm hand and with this cross bow I can keep my left hand as close to my body as possible to minimize the weight forward and really lock both arms in to steady it for an offhand shot. Which also helps is that it is pretty light I think around 6.5 lbs or so.
In your case depending on your injury you might want to reconsider any bow that's a bit longer or is on the nose heavy side which I think the recurves are but maybe some are not. Just another thought.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AZmark
So looking at crossbows there's so much out there it is mind boggling. So was wanting to hear from people that had been hunting with crossbow some of the pros/cons of the different designs. From what I've read so far I'm leaning towards a recurve crossbow just because I like simplicity and always hated trying to tune my old compound.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Mark

Hey, OP, did you buy anything?

W
W
+1 for Excalibur crossbows. If you're just getting into it and want to try, you can find a used older model for cheap, and they last forever and require minimal maintenance.
All my shots are within 40 yards, and my old Excalibur is more than sufficient for accuracy and speed.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
1) Excalibur
2) See #1

I'm also in AZ. Let's go hunting!

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
699 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 72 invisible), 3,001 guests, and 1,403 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,659
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.