Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MOGC
Bill Jordan accidentally shot and killed another Border Patrol officer while practicing his fast draw in his office. The .357 bullet went through the wall and struck the other officer typing a report in the adjoining room.

I wasn’t going to mention the killing a guy part but thanks for explaining the circumstance.

I would imagine he’d practiced a fast draw at least a hundred times with no consequences, dunno if he customarily dry fired while doing so. Clearly his ingrained muscle memory at that particular instant led to tragedy.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave

Looks like a hunk of schit to me.

Sean Connery says diff’rent, check out 0:36, they even fired when empty 😎

Googling around, turns out Webley made these thing for 21 years, Mr Connery appears to be holding the 8-shot .38 version.

You can skip the rest, apparently it’s about Mr Connery in a jockstrap knocking up some immortal women. The usual stuff.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Semi auto for defensive or offense use is certainly preferred over revolvers in hand guns
and all other type actions in rifles.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe the disconnect here is between one group of people who want to be great at shooting pistols and another group who wants to be great at safely owning pistols.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I believe the disconnect here is between one group of people who want to be great at shooting pistols and another group who wants to be great at safely owning pistols.

Those qualities do not need to be exclusive of each other

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Seems pretty obvious to me that a double action revolver is inherently less likely to to be accidentally fired by a complete novice, and is also a great deal simpler to learn its basic operation. As long as they know how to load, unload, and to never thumb cock the hammer, that's about all they need to know for safe handling. After about one range session with a competent teacher, they should also be able to plug someone with it at close range. That's about all many people want to know about the home defense gun they just purchased. And for those people, you can't do better than to recommend a medium frame, double action, .38 or .357 Magnum revolver.

If they later find that they also enjoy shooting, a very high level of skill and effectiveness can be achieved with a bit more training and range time with their revolver.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Then there is birdman who can a write a treatise trying to defend being neither.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Birdy, you stated that you can tell if a revolver is loaded by looking at it, please illuminate.
mike r

OMG I can actually teach YOU something 🙂

We can lay a bunch of revolvers on a table, some loaded, some empty, and you can try to see just by looking which have cartridges in ‘em and which don’t. I’ll help if you get it wrong.....

HMMM, yet you managed to get it wrong and you consider your self a gun guy. You taught me nothing but definitely reinforced my impression that most gun guys don't follow the basic rules of gun safety very well.

thanks for that, I guessgrin

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Seems pretty obvious to me that a double action revolver is inherently less likely to to be accidentally fired by a complete novice, and is also a great deal simpler to learn its basic operation. As long as they know how to load, unload, and to never thumb cock the hammer, that's about all they need to know for safe handling. After about one range session with a competent teacher, they should also be able to plug someone with it at close range. That's about all many people want to know about the home defense gun they just purchased. And for those people, you can't do better than to recommend a medium frame, double action, .38 or .357 Magnum revolver.

If they later find that they also enjoy shooting, a very high level of skill and effectiveness can be achieved with a bit more training and range time with their revolver.

Exactly how a semi auto is used. Wow

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lvmiker
You taught me nothing but definitely reinforced my impression that most gun guys don't follow the basic rules of gun safety very well.

thanks for that, I guessgrin

mike r

My only ND in the last 30 years, so there's that. But then "Tomorrow is another day." as Ms. O'Hara put it.

IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
New shooter, not really into guns but feels he needs one..."Do I go with the $700 old fashioned Smith & Western revolver or the $300 Taurus G3C with twice the capacity?". Easy answer, from what I've seen.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Take him to an indoor shooting range, rent several pistols, watch him shoot.

If he is not willing to go this far, then bow out.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

Ask someone with weak familiarity with semi-autos to unload it and hand it to you. They will, more likely than not, remove the magazine, and hand it to you. So, not quite the same.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Ask someone with weak familiarity with semi-autos to unload it and hand it to you. They will, more likely than not, remove the magazine, and hand it to you. So, not quite the same.

Ask someone unfamiliar with a revolver to unload it and see if they can get the cylinder open, I doubt it

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Ask someone unfamiliar with a revolver to unload it and see if they can get the cylinder open, I doubt it

Why is that more complicated than a mag release?

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I never said it was more complicated, neither us complicated, but people with no familiarity know nothing about either one.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I never said it was more complicated, neither us complicated, but people with no familiarity know nothing about either one.

I didn't say "no" familiarity. I said weak familiarity. With weak familiarity, a double action revolver is pretty much a no brainer to avoid a negligent discharge yet still be able to plug someone intentionally at close range. For a semiauto, I wouldn't trust someone with mere weak familiarity to be safe. I'd want them to accumulate a good amount of instruction and experience before I trusted them to be safe with it. That's the point I was making.

Look, my personal choice and yours is a semiauto. That's not the point. We've put in the hours (years, decades) and have a high motivation to learn our weapons. That's not the case with everyone who buys a gun, though.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I didn't say "no" familiarity. I said weak familiarity. With weak familiarity, a double action revolver is pretty much a no brainer to avoid a negligent discharge yet still be able to plug someone intentionally at close range. For a semiauto, I wouldn't trust someone with mere weak familiarity to be safe. I'd want them to accumulate a good amount of instruction and experience before I trusted them to be safe with it. That's the point I was making.

Look, my personal choice and yours is a semiauto. That's not the point. We've put in the hours (years, decades) and have a high motivation to learn our weapons. That's not the case with everyone who buys a gun, though.

I disagree with you assertion. There were plenty of negligent discharges with revolvers before semi autos became common place.

Neither one is free from unsafe handling, but to claim a revllver is less prone to unsafe handling is ridiculous.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I disagree with you assertion. There were plenty of negligent discharges with revolvers before semi autos became common place.

Neither one is free from unsafe handling, but to claim a revllver is less prone to unsafe handling is ridiculous.

Yeah, we definitely disagree. I find your position on the question unfathomable.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Yeah, we definitely disagree. I find your position on the question unfathomable.

I find your position ridiculous. If i can teach someone to safely handle a revolver, i can just as easily teach them to safely handle a semi auto

Last edited by jwp475; 09/09/20.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
722 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 1234, 17CalFan, 68 invisible), 2,930 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,752
Posts18,401,318
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.