Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
W
Waffle Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Spent my opening weekend of archery camped out at big springs. what a beautiful place i didn't see any elk or deer but i had a blast checking out new country. i will definitely be headed back there this weekend. what do you guys look for when you start exploring new country in search of elk?

Last edited by Waffle; 09/08/20.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
uhh, elk?.....

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Waffle: Smaller more remote/secluded springs/seeps for thirsty early season and rutting Elk.
Enjoy the upcoming weekend and the outdoors.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Waffle
Spent my opening weekend of archery camped out at big springs. what a beautiful place i didn't see any elk or deer but i had a blast checking out new country. i will definitely be headed back there this weekend. what do you guys look for when you start exploring new country in search of elk?

Big Springs, north of Kemmerer, Wy.......or, big springs? wink memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/08/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Waffle Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Big springs trail head bye W mountain( Colorado). I did see a box canyon on the topo but I did not head up in to it. There was a lot of cattle grazing in the lower meadows and I was unsure if the elk would stay away from them so I explored up Red dirt creek trying to climb in elevation. It seemed most creek bed up high we’re dry I will have to do some more exploring and see if I can find some secluded springs /seeps

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What GMU?

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
uhh, elk?.....

How many, and which way didtheygo?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I thought you meant Big Springs Texas. Ain't no elk in Big Springs Texas.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Start high. Drive or hike and glass, looking for elk sign. Often, I will bird hunt unfamiliar ground first, trying to kill grouse while looking for elk sign. I move down in elevation if I find no sign up high. Sometimes there are not enough elk in the area to produce enough recent sign. I generally won't hunt those areas later. Elk move a lot though, so they can be where they haven't been on short notice.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While not always the case, elk tend to avoid cattle. Often return after cattle have left, however, to work on the more nutritious regrowth.

1Minute
IC B3

W
Waffle Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I didn’t climb to the top ravines. I follow the bottoms up looking for sign around the creek bottoms. This weekend I’ll climb to the tops and poke around. Thanks for the advice! There’s got to be elk around there I’m just going to keep exploring.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Huntmaps is your friend! Water, wallows, and food find that and you will find elk. Pattern and Hunt them like you would a whitetail only much bigger range.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
W
Waffle Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Thanks. I was wondering if the cows would keep the other wildlife out

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I haven't hunted around cattle a lot, but I can say that a few cows won't keep elk away. I think it depends on how many cows are in there, whether there are enough to affect the quality of the feed, and whether there are people in there working them.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

In many places the cows and wildlife co-habituate all summer! Now, when the cowboys start bringing the cows in from the range....all bets are off! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Kawi lives.

W
Waffle Offline OP
OP Offline
W
I took everyone’s advise and got up on top of a ridge and just glassed and glasses. I managed to spot 5 cow elk, 8 mule deer and a moose. Unfortunately I wasn’t able to catch up with the elk they are definitely in better shape then I am. Mabey next weekend. I still haven’t heard one bugle. Mabey there isn’t a bull in the area I keep patrolling or they just haven’t started talking yet.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
668 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 69 invisible), 3,000 guests, and 1,440 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,673
Posts18,399,532
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.