Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
As the title says, I’m thinking something in the 240+ weight range with a nice wide flat point. I’ve never hunted with cast, but I’d like to start.

These will be powder coated, and shot in a 6.5” 629, and a 7.5” super red hawk. Hoping to run 296 as I have 4lbs of it on hand.

Also, gas check or no? I do plan to run full power loads, but nothing crazy hot.

Thanks!

Steve

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Lots of good mould makers and designs out there. A good start would be some version of a gas-checked 429421, or the RCBS 44KT which is a slightly different design with a shorter nose, and has a gas check shank. I think you'll want a gas check when pushing them fast with 296. I know NOE makes a version of the 429421, as does Accurate Moulds.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My thoughts are Id want to know the throat diameters of both and proceed from there.

NOE makes the H&G503, which has a bit better meplat than the Lyman Keiths. Its only available in .431-2.
You shouldnt need a gas check at all and your probably not going to enjoy the extra work.
They also make a 280 Keith in 432 and 434 diameters.
The meplat is on par with the LBT WFN.
Those two are what I use as standards, and Ive owned more than a couple 44 moulds!

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Well I did a bunch of research yesterday and settled on the Lyman 429640 250gr HP “devastator”

It looks really aggressive, but after finding some great penetration/weight retention testing with different alloys at different velocities, and several testaments to its accuracy and performance on game I’m sold.

I’ll post some pictures when I get some made up!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Slayer_mn1
Well I did a bunch of research yesterday and settled on the Lyman 429640 250gr HP “devastator”

It looks really aggressive, but after finding some great penetration/weight retention testing with different alloys at different velocities, and several testaments to its accuracy and performance on game I’m sold.

I’ll post some pictures when I get some made up!

I hope it works out for you. A few drawbacks with the "Devastator." Single cavity mould for one. Heat the HP pin and mould separately initially, to get the pin good and hot, then cast hot. Use a softer alloy, hardened with tin, if you want the HP to actually expand, as opposed to just breaking petals off. If you want petals to break off, run an antimony-bearing alloy.

I opted to get the NOE version of the 429640 that casts about .433" with my alloy and comes with flat nose, cup point, and hollow point pins. The hollow points are 285 grains with check. I found better accuracy shooting the powder-coated version out of both a 44 Marlin and a 444 Marlin, sized at .4325" at 1700 fps and 2100 fps, respectively. The alloy contains enough antimony that the front end fragments on game, and creates 3-4 secondary wound channels that have quite a bit of power on their own. Have tried to use them on elk, but the elk haven't cooperated. Have shot a couple deer that have been "lights out" with huge wound channels. Like a damn grenade. I'm guessing I lose about 1/3 the bullet weight in fragmentation. Funny, I didn't see either deer drop. They were down before I came out of recoil, and didn't twitch.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks for the tips, I did read that it likes to be good and hot, and I’ll be powder coating them. Saw some very detailed tests done on cast boolits forum with a few different alloys at 4 different speeds ranging from 950-1400~FPS

It seemed to perform well with Straight WW And a bit softer. I’ll play around shooting through water jugs until I find something I like performance wise.

Also, I have a machine shop at home, and if I’m not happy with the factory hollow point profile I plan to make some different pins to play around with.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
A single cavity, mass produced hollow point gas checked mould that will have a baked on jacket.

That's either dedication to the craft or the absolutely the quickest way to quiting before the start.

Please dont tell me you have a LEE bottom pour pot....

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by HawkI
A single cavity, mass produced hollow point gas checked mould that will have a baked on jacket.

That's either dedication to the craft or the absolutely the quickest way to quiting before the start.

I don’t mind doing things the hard way, and I don’t plan on casting thousands of bullets with this one.

A little background in myself. I decided I wanted to “build” a precision rifle, so I started looking into the savage prefit barrels (before they made them for everything) long story short I now own a full sized lathe and mill, and all the tooling to go with them, because I wanted it done right. I like to tinker and figure things out, and a little challenging cast hollow point won’t scare me off! Haha

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
That's good.

A lot of people quit going your route!

Best of luck to you.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Never, ever saw the need for or advantage with a hollow point in a revolver but, that is me. Some folks like 'em. Good luck!! Given we sound a bit alike when it comes to doing things I think you'll be fine casting them. As others have mentioned, it won't go fast but you'll get what you want and that's a good enough reason.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by sharps4590
Never, ever saw the need for or advantage with a hollow point in a revolver but, that is me. Some folks like 'em. Good luck!! Given we sound a bit alike when it comes to doing things I think you'll be fine casting them. As others have mentioned, it won't go fast but you'll get what you want and that's a good enough reason.

Thanks! I wasn’t planning on a hollow point, but the testaments to accuracy and on-game performance over on castboolits forum led me to give it a try. I might end up making a flat nose or shallower cup nose pin for it if I don’t like the way it works.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used both the Lyman 429421 and the RCBS 44-250 in my hunting handguns with good success. Both are Keith style bullets, plainbase without a gas check or hollowpoint. For full power loads I mostly use H110 (W296) with no problems. However, I mostly use either of the two loaded over Unique or Universal as a reduced load at about 950 to 1000 fps. Those reduced loads with either bullet will kill white tails just fine.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Check out Arsenal molds. They will make the mold diameter to your spec/request to match your throat.

One Arsenal mold example:
http://arsenalmolds.com/products?product_id=89&limit=75

Gas check or plain base is your option, but for pistol applications, I would stick with plain base.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HawkI

Don't worry. You helped me through a lot of things like this.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Sounds like you've answered your own question.

I would have recommended an LBT WLN 300 grain gas check sized appropriately for your gun's cylinder throats. My "luck" with them on deer shows they kill as well as 240 grain JHPs without the meat destruction. If you wanted less weight, I'd have said WFN ... I believe 300 grains is the lights you can get in the long nose version. I would go ahead and spend the extra $50 or so for a 4-cavity over 2-cavity mold.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
one of these will be your huckleberry...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

all of them will penetrate a deer well enough to kill it. just pick the one you like best and develop a load for it.

Last edited by blammer; 12/16/20.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For my 1894 Marlin I purchased the 265 gr NOE Ranch Dog design several years ago. I havn't done much testing with this bullet yet, but I have shot plenty of cans and etc. with it. I have no doubt it will do fine on deer, and piggies.

Roughly half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
@blammer Great comparison pic.

When I got my first .44 mag pistol back in the mid '70s, I bought both a Lyman 429244 and 429426 molds. Both have shot well in my pistols, but I prefer the gas checks on the -244 bullets with my full power loads with 296 powder.

Adding a gas check is easy with my Lyman 450 lube/sized, but would be an extra step with powder coating.

I would not hesitate to hunt anything in the lower 48 with my 429244 bullets.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by blammer
one of these will be your huckleberry...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

all of them will penetrate a deer well enough to kill it. just pick the one you like best and develop a load for it.

HELL YEAH !

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I still want to find someone that can mill one of my Lee 310g molds down to where the stub for the gas check is removed. Make it about a 280g without a gas check. I like the front end of that bullet but would like it a bit lighter and without a check.

I've been loading the 270g speer gold dot fn or whatever they call them this year down to about 1100 fps and still think that's enough power. And 11.5 g of be86 vs about twice that weight of h110 or pp300mp is way more pleasant to shoot without giving up more than about 100 fps.

I'm thinking a 270-280g cast flat nose at 1100fps is about all I need in my 329 pd anymore. Shooting my old 310g Lazer cast wfn bullets over 1200fps from the 329 pd has put my wrist and elbow in to spondylitis flare ups. Just not as much fun as it was when I was younger.

I think a 280 or so flat nose at 1100 is enough to put a hole through most things.

Bb

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
This guy does mold modifications:

http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
From the website:

Repairs and alterations available starting at $30.00 and up, per repair
Mold with Lightly milled sprue side

Repairs or alterations such as:

Repair of stripped screw holes.
Broken off screws or taps.
Sprue side resurfacing by milling machine or surface grinder.
Replacement of missing parts. screws and parts
Miscellaneous repairs.

Seems like he could mill off the amount of the gas check.

Last edited by mathman; 03/20/21.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,525
Posts18,452,829
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.