There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
BP-B2

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1100RemingtonMan
Or just get a .223 Rem. and load it with Blue Dot and you will have 22 Hornet performance and its a lot easer to get .223 brass.

Actually, I have been doing that too. The problem with most of the 223 rifles is the weight. I guess I am just continuing to look for that perfect mouse trap.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
The Hornet with 40 gr. bullets is probably the answer you seek. I think dies are a matter of personal choice. If I was looking to buy again, I would start with a basic Hornady 2 die set. The FL resizer and seating die. I would get a collet die too.

In my case, I have an H&R single shot and use the chamber as a gauge to see when it needs a shoulder bump. For that reason, I have a 22 K Hornet Body die that I use in conjunction with the collet.

In fact, it was about one year ago that I finally got that body die after seven or eight month of problems. The store sent me the wrong die - twice!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
The Hornet with 40 gr. bullets is probably the answer you seek. I think dies are a matter of personal choice. If I was looking to buy again, I would start with a basic Hornady 2 die set. The FL resizer and seating die. I would get a collet die too.

In my case, I have an H&R single shot and use the chamber as a gauge to see when it needs a shoulder bump. For that reason, I have a 22 K Hornet Body die that I use in conjunction with the collet.

In fact, it was about one year ago that I finally got that body die after seven or eight month of problems. The store sent me the wrong die - twice!

Hi Steve,

I have some 40 grain Noslers and Vmax to try. I also have a 35 grain Nosler which is all copper to try. It didn't shoot well in my 223, maybe it will in the hornet.

You mentioned the 22 K Hornet body die. Do you have a K hornet or do you use it on the 22 Hornet?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I would only use 35 grain bullets if I was hunting ground squirrels or skunks perhaps. Certainly not raccoons, foxes or anything bigger. My experience with the 35s was bad. Depending on the animal, rib bones can mess up the little 35s. I had three or four bad experiences with them in my 22 Hornet. That rifle that is now a 22 K Hornet.

I gave it the K treatment to improve the accuracy and bump up the horse power a tad. The worst experience with a light bullet in the 22 Hornet was when the 35 gr. VMax first came out. I shot a fox. The bullet flew apart after hitting bone and turned the VMax into a fragmentation grenade. It peppered the chest cavity, eventually killing it, but only after it bolted away. My buddy and I looked for it for a while before we found it. I felt bad about that, but figured it was a 'one of' experience. The same thing happened a couple of other times, so it soured me on the 35 gr. VMax.

The body die is only for the 22 K Hornet. When it was still a 22 Hornet, I only had a FL Lee die set, but no body or collet die.

Switching to 40s stopped the severe fragmenting problem. It didn't seem to matter which 40. They all print under an inch.

As an aside, Ellwood Epps grandson reamed my rifle to 22 K Hornet.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As an aside, Ellwood Epps grandson reamed my rifle to 22 K Hornet.

Name dropper!

Those K cases are pretty. Sticking with the standard though as improving my Browning is probably not a wise financial move, and it does what I "need" as-is.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes, they sure are!

You need a K Hornet barrel. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Powder Valley has this Hornet compatible powder in stock and at a good price. https://www.powdervalleyinc.com/product/shooters-world-blackout-d063-02/

Shooters World Blackout is also known as Lovex D063.02. Originally it was specifically designed for performance in the 300 Blackout. Ballistic results for this propellant show it appropriate for both pistol and rifle cartridges that incorporate a near straight-walled cartridge case. The propellant gas generation rate is appropriate for .300 Blackout, 7.62×39, .30-30, .22 Hornet, as well as many straight-walled large pistol and rifle cartridges where rapid transformation from powder to gas is desired. It is similar in burn speed to Accurate 1680®.

Shooters World Blackout Powder is a spherical propellant that meters through charge plates consistently and will flow well in a high-speed loader. It contains a level of flash suppression, incorporated into the propellant.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Thanks for that info DF.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I've done both the Hornet and K versions with LEE, RCBS, Redding and Forster dies.

The K Hornet uses Redding dies; they work just fine. Just size the case enough to run in the chamber.

For the std. Hornet, its a tossup. The RCBS dies made in the late 70's, early 80's work best with the expander ball removed for the two rifles so chambered. This is only an option because the dies I have and most Hornet brass are concentric enough to produce straight ammo. One plus for thin walled brass, generally speaking.

The Forsters for the std. Hornet work outstanding because the seating die isn't like most other Hornet seaters, being they are at home seating either a 45 gr. round nose, cast or a "sleek" 40 gr. Ballistic Tip or VMax. For the std. Hornet, I would recommend the Forsters both for case re-sizing and seating. My advise on case sizing is to partial re- size for maximum case life; something the Hornet will make you aware of if you aren't.

The caveats for short, small cases are to make sure the case is centered in the shellholder and to have a delicate hand sizing and seating.

I've had production 22 Hornets rival production 222's on paper, so it's reputation as a horrible, cantankerous cartridge has not been my experience. But bear in mind it has been given several bore diameters and bullets to throw in a wrench as far as dies, seaters, twist and the like goes.
The Hornet is a very amicable cast bullet cartridge if in a 1-16 or 1-14 twist barrel as well.

IC B3

C
C
I use RCBS hornet dies 224. No issues. 40gr V-Max and IMR 4227
For max velocity Lil- Gun powder

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I use the Lee Collet Die for my Hornet.

For the rare occasions I need to FL the case, I have RCBS, with no complaints.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lee is Dog Schit. The RCBS Horn/KHorn Comp Seater,is a Game CHANGER. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

The ONLY thing I'd use Li'Gun for,is kindling to get a pile of Varget going. I've shot the 35 'Max from inception,as have more than a few pards still doing same and the Venison Tally will fill Hell. Same goes Woofs and more than a "few" Bears. I prefer the 32 and 33gr V-Max and only shoot them in REAL(formed K-Hornet cases). Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

I cain't suffer the SALAMI Hornet and it's KHorn or bust in these parts and we obviously enjoy The World's Highest Density of same. The ability to headspace a true shoulder datum,is a magnificent thing,as Precision and case life go. Had a pard swing by yesterday,talking rifles and the like,in regards to his 5yr old. The 223 Wylde Krunchenticker 18" Rifle Gas LW he set up for him,is too much of a good thing,as reaching the trigger goes on the Hogue grip. I showed him The Dude's 22 KHorn 77/22 and multiple 100's of rounds of 35gr 'Max Form Loads(3030 fps in the 20") and told him to shoot it any time/all the time. Plenty of Deer Tags in these parts,for Duffers. Hint.

I couldn't forget KHorn come-ups,if FORCED to. Hint...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I remember Deer island and khornets, lot of fun.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by barm
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by pete53
i have Redding dies both 22 hornet and 22 K-hornet like both cartridges and these reloading dies, but at my home i always have my Ruger bolt 22 hornet s.s. rotary clip rifle ready for a critter.

I also have the Redding, and they are excellent dies. I'd also grab a Lee collet sizer if the neck die of the Redding wasn't so slick. I just dip the necks in graphite, run through, and move on.

For you guys using Redding, are using the bushing full length/neck sizing, or body die combinations?

I use the Redding full length two die set in combination with the Lee mandrel neck sizer. Thirteen grains of Lil Gun and a 40 gr plastic tip bullet = 3000 fps and little groups from my 26" barreled No 1.

Member:
NRA
Ohio Gun Collectors Association
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
184 members (32_20fan, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 24 invisible), 2,061 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.