Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Would like to use a set of Talley LW one piece aluminum ringmounts to mount a 26mm Swarovski scope. Has anyone used a reamer to open up a set of Talley 1" LW's to 26mm ? Thinking a reamer should work fine. in lieu of the purchase of a reamer, possibly emery cloth wrapped around a 1" wood dowel ?

Everything I could dig up previously pointed toward Burris signature rings with insets. However, I like Talley rings. any downside to slowly opening up a set of 1" LW rings ?

GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Would like to use a set of Talley LW one piece aluminum ringmounts to mount a 26mm Swarovski scope. Has anyone used a reamer to open up a set of Talley 1" LW's to 26mm ? Thinking a reamer should work fine. in lieu of the purchase of a reamer, possibly emery cloth wrapped around a 1" wood dowel ?

Forget about Mickey Mousing it with the dowel. The reamer is the way to do it.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Or just order some 26mm from Talley.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
@Tejano, I did not see 26mm LW's offered for Winchester mounting pattern. Sent an email to Talley to see if possible to get a set of one-off's.

@pal, Yes, reamer would be cleaner, more professional. Only catch would be to order one with flutes long enough to span both mounts at same time to ensure concentricy.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Keeping them concentric and in line with one another would be extremely difficult using a wood dowel with sandpaper wrapped around it. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me - I can forsee an expensive Swaro scope with ring marks in your future.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
LW's suck ass,Swaro sucks ass,so I say DO it...mainly because it will be funnier than fhuqk! Hint.

Bonus Humor Points Awarded,for Crying Karen melting down and fretting a fhuqking scratch on the Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...Only catch would be to order one with flutes long enough to span both mounts at same time to ensure concentricy.

Completely unnecessary. Just ream them individually.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Why piddle around with a non-standard size tube? Why not just invest in a set of rings the correct size or dump the scope. Hint....

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll grant her (1) chance to connect dots by default. Hint.

What rifle? Chambering? RPM? COAL? Application? If only because particulars,do tend to "matter". Hint.

Don't be in such a hurry,to make STUPID fhuqking mistakes.

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by pal
...Only catch would be to order one with flutes long enough to span both mounts at same time to ensure concentricy.

Completely unnecessary. Just ream them individually.

Doing one at a time with a short reamer is an option. Would prefer to do both at same time, while mounted, to ensure concentricity.

Originally Posted by WAM
Why piddle around with a non-standard size tube? Why not just invest in a set of rings the correct size or dump the scope. Hint....

Talley does not offer 26mm LW's for Winchester scope mounting pattern. Nor will they do a custom order. 1" LW ring mounts + reamer will still be less than 20% of cost of scope. I'd loose more $$$'s swapping scopes than the cost of the reamer.

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I don't think you'll find a 26 mm reamer easily. If you insist on reaming you will need to use an expandable reamer. In any event the very high torsional stresses in reaming will create some difficulties in work holding, ie: there ain't much to grab onto on a scope ring. If I was doing it, and I ain't, I'd be looking at a fly cutter on the mill. I'd shim the gaps on the 1" rings to provide a near perfect 1" circle, clamp the assembled ring as securely as possible and run the fly cutter through in 2 passes. The second pass should be dead nuts equal to your scope tube O.D.
my.... 2 cents worth.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by flintlocke
I don't think you'll find a 26 mm reamer easily. If you insist on reaming you will need to use an expandable reamer. In any event the very high torsional stresses in reaming will create some difficulties in work holding, ie: there ain't much to grab onto on a scope ring. If I was doing it, and I ain't, I'd be looking at a fly cutter on the mill. I'd shim the gaps on the 1" rings to provide a near perfect 1" circle, clamp the assembled ring as securely as possible and run the fly cutter through in 2 passes. The second pass should be dead nuts equal to your scope tube O.D.
my.... 2 cents worth.

Sir,

There are a number of fixed flute and expandable 26mm reamers on ebay for less than $100. I was planning the work holding to be rings mounted to the rifle to maintain concentricity. Thinking that fixed helical flutes would be a smoother, lower torque, proposition.

Thoughts?

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Here’s a little food for thought: According to some here, LW aluminum rings are somewhat prone to cracking. What will be the result of removing material from an already marginal strength ring? Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yep, turning a crappy weak mount into an even weaker one sounds like a good plan👍

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think you'll find a 26 mm reamer easily...

Come on!

Last edited by pal; 09/11/20.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've not personally had any issue with Talley LW's on 9 and 10 lb .375's. Do not think that a 10% reduction in cross section is going to be an issue on an 8 lb .243. Appreciate all of the input. Currently set up with a set of Leupold 30mm Low QR mounts with Delrin spacers. I'll post up after I sort out the LW's...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Oops, sorry, I didn't know 26 mm reamers were that common. You'll want to make a trial run on scrap to see what size your finished hole is I guess. Obviously, you plan on hand reaming with the rings installed on the rifle for alignment purposes...so maybe you would want to consider a bridge reamer? I still don't know how you plan on maintaining alignment of the reamer, hand reaming is a task fraught with peril. Maybe make a bushing to fit the reamer shank and the unreamed ring? I'm not being deliberately critical or obstructive, but it needs to be thought out with the prices of the original rings.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A machine shop with a mill & a boring head w/bar could do a nice enough job. Getting the things clamped up square might be the tricky/costly part.

If you happen to know of a shop in your area it might be worth asking.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Oops, sorry, I didn't know 26 mm reamers were that common. You'll want to make a trial run on scrap to see what size your finished hole is I guess. Obviously, you plan on hand reaming with the rings installed on the rifle for alignment purposes...so maybe you would want to consider a bridge reamer? I still don't know how you plan on maintaining alignment of the reamer, hand reaming is a task fraught with peril. Maybe make a bushing to fit the reamer shank and the unreamed ring? I'm not being deliberately critical or obstructive, but it needs to be thought out with the prices of the original rings.

One of the more expensive reamers has about 7" of flutes. Some taper on the front end. Need to span 5" +/- from front of front ring to rear of rear ring. "Might be" sufficient. I agree, the shorter reamers would need a "bore guide" to maintain concentricity. I appreciate the thoughtful input.

Originally Posted by gunzo
A machine shop with a mill & a boring head w/bar could do a nice enough job. Getting the things clamped up square might be the tricky/costly part.

Agree. Unfortunately, "that guy" locally sold out and closed up about 10 years ago...

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunzo

Agree. Unfortunately, "that guy" locally sold out and closed up about 10 years ago...

You seem to be intentionally sabotaging what is actually such a very simple project. What would it cost you to ship this tiny set of rings to a competent machinist who already has a 26mm reamer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.