24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I bought the ugliest shotgun ever made, an AK-12. I'm looking for loading data using Winchester AA hulls, possibly 800X powder. I've got 8 pounds of the 800X. Any help sure would be appreciated.

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Few years back a buddy bought one of those , factory buck gets expensive in a hurry. I was out east hunting and hit a convenience store for gas and coffee, they had an extensive selection of Federal shotshells in steel loads and were clearing some out. They had 2 3/4" 55 pellet loads of T steel @$55/flat. I thought that ought to work. So I dialed him up on the cell and told him about it, he jumped on it. You can throw some pretty serious swaths of larger shot in a AK style 12 ga. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you can find one the 3rd edn of the Lyman Shotshell Handbook on pages 266-267 lists a dozen Buckshot loads utilizing the AA hull, some of the loads actually utilizing the WAA12R (red) wad. And their were no loads utilizing 800x. In my old Dupont manuals they only show the use of straight wall hulls for buck, nor did they show use of 800x for buck loads. Sometimes you can't have everything you want easily. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The BPI Buckshot Manual lacks it, as well.

Lyman’s 5th addition uses Winchester HS, but they don’t put 800-X in them.

For 2.75” 00B using 800-X, Rio and Federal plastic Gold Metal hulls are your friends. If you go with Rio hulls, you either have to go with European primers that fit or hope you can recondition the primer pocket to fit 209s. If you go with the latter, you’ll have to pick a 209 that has relatively the same amount of heat that the Rio does.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ray, in edn 3 on page291 it has a buckshot size table and says 344 #4 buck in 1 lb/7014 grains 7014÷344 =20.39 grains per pellet x 27 =550.5 grains per load that is just a few more grains than 1 1/4 oz. There are AA hull 1 1/4oz field loads with 800x ,hmm. My experience tells me in cold weather I don't get good ignition with 800x. OP might have to do his own experiments .I do my own sometimes when I think I need to but don't tell anyone else to do them.mb

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hear ya, Bob.

To be honest, I pretty much stick to Blue Dot for slugs and buckshot, myself. The tone of the OP’s initial post suggested he really wants to use that 8lbs of 800-X, though.

I was offering what I’ve found in the books, which is that most published load data in the Lyman Gen 5 and BPI manuals uses the above mentioned hulls.

Like you, I’ve grown leery of providing unpublished load advice it today’s world. Especially shotgun. I don’t think its as pressure sensitive as the online community suggests, but despite not personally knowing anyone that’s blown up a shotgun, the stigma is there.

“When debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser.”
- Socrates
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lyman 4th:

2-3/4”, 1-3/8 oz heavy field load, WAA12R wad, Win 209, 26.5 gr 800X

1298 FPS, 10,300 LUP

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
ARKYpete, shoot that shotgun before you get froggy on heavy buckshot loads. Recoil is serious.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[A couple of years ago Bride saw an ad for a couple of cases for 12 gauge shotgun shells on a neighborhood women's, FaceBook page. The ladies sell or give all sorts of stuff of interest to ladies and home owners. She called me and asked if I would be interested. Heck yes says me, find out the price and the size of the shot. The shot size was #4s, lead, and the cost was a hundred bucks. I jumped on it and threw the ammo closet. So I get this ugly gun throw a couple of boxes of #4s and a couple boxes of #7.5. I load the five-round mag up, it was a bit stiff but fit. Fired a couple of shots and thought I has been kicked by a mule. Set rifle down go look at the ammo box and it seems that I bought 3-inch mag, #4s. I find 3 boxes of 2 3/4, #4s,at Wally's world the next week and try them out, not bad. Things would have to get real serious to use those 3 inch #4s. So I've learned to look at what I'm buying, more carefully. Now I'm trying OO buckshot .
Thanks to all your
help.
uote=keith]ARKYpete, shoot that shotgun before you get froggy on heavy buckshot loads. Recoil is serious.[/quote]

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by keith
ARKYpete, shoot that shotgun before you get froggy on heavy buckshot loads. Recoil is serious.

The AK12 is a heavier gun and the gas operated mechanism will soak up recoil. It's likely much softer shooting than most duck guns.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Bubba round tree is the place to start on loading Buckshot, excellent information with live demonstrations!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ezCOIj73wE&t=12s

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I made some loads of my own. It may not be right but they worked, I didn’t get blown up. I put the zero buck in the wad one at a time,sprinkled #9 shot in to take up the excess space to get the correct amount of weight. They would shoot hell out of pigs I caught in traps. I’ve forgotten how many 0 buck pellets would go in a 1 1/4 wad. The hard part is getting the correct weight in the wad, the zero buck wouldn’t be enough weight.

I made my own 0 buck, didn’t cost much for these shells. I marked the primer black with a permanent marker to know it was a buckshot. Used red for 9’s, green for 8’s, blue for 6’s. Do any of you do that?

Last edited by hanco; 10/11/21.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
2 3/4" Remington Nitro hull, 12 of the 0 buck, 32-33g of LONGSHOT powder, Rem RP wad, 1400 fps...patterns very tight in a std full choke.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
A few years ago I loaded 00 buckshot, used federal paper and see through plastic hulls I got from ballistic products. I didn't want anything that would be hard for the wife to handle, wanted something about like a dove load at 1200fps. (9) 00 pellets are about 1 1/8oz.

I have some old style Alcan fiber wads and Rem H wads, so with the paper hulls just experimented with the different sizes to create the column height to crimp. Also made some mini shells by cutting the paper hulls down, using whatever fiber wad worked with an over card and roll crimp. It was a novelty and cool, but not sure I'd trust them to cycle reliably in a stressful situation. 18.5gr red dot is a 1 1/8 load at 1145fps.

The plastic hulls I tried different hulls I had and ended up using the WAA12SL, again it's what will crimp half way decent. After loading some I decided to cut the fingers off to see the pellets easier and identify the shell. 24gr of unique for 1 1/8 1250 fps.

I also loaded some Rem gun club high base also, so you can use the remington or AA hulls. I don't really as those are my bird hunting hulls and I don't want to get them mixed up.

Of course I'm not trying for some magnum load. If it was me I'd find a load using the powder, hull and speed you want in the weight of shot, may have to play with what wad to crimp right.

Kent

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
104 members (10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 405joe, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,381 guests, and 687 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.