-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Adding a locker in the differential of a 2wd will get you into some amazingly rough places. However, it can also put you in the ditch if you use it on slick roads. Once you start to slide, it will keep you sliding.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
My father use to say "a 4 wheel drive only enabled you to get stuck in more inaccessible places" and he would never by one. He put weight in the truck bed and chains on in the snow. As kids my brother and I would ride the rear bumper to add additional weight to get in and out of our regular hunting area. Shovels and come-a-long came in handy a few times.

I of course did not listen to him and have owned eight different 4WD vehicles, but I still carry the chains and come-a-long plus I have locking differentials front and rear in my hunting truck.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, you lock up a truck front and rear and air it down a bit and you really can't stop em.

Semper Fi
A
Aviator Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
All good info! Here’s a question what type of tire chains would you all recommend?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Aviator
All good info! Here’s a question what type of tire chains would you all recommend?

The kind Les Schwab sells, so if there is a problem with them, they will handle it, no questions asked. There is usually a Les Schwab where I am hunting and they've been nothing but great to me for tires, chains and random things that happen in elk country!

Semper Fi
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V bar. Don't even consider cables. Take some 8-10" long pieces of 2x4 to get the tires up off the ground when chaining up.

Get the chains as tight as possible and don't keep the "inside" side somewhat loose and then put tighteners on the "outside", if that makes sense. The chains will slide off either side of the tire and will be around your axle or on the ground in no time. Hopefully my rambling here makes sense.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by T_Inman
V bar. Don't even consider cabels. Take some 8-10" long pieces of 2x4 to get the tires up off the ground when chaining up.

Get the chains as tight as possible and don't keep the "inside" side somewhat loose and then put tighteners on the "outside", if that makes sense. The chains will slide off either side of the tire and will be around your axle or on the ground in no time. Hopefully my rambling here makes sense.

Well written. It makes perfect sense when you're putting them on!

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
V bar. Don't even consider cables. Take some 8-10" long pieces of 2x4 to get the tires up off the ground when chaining up.

100%

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by VaHunter
My father use to say "a 4 wheel drive only enabled you to get stuck in more inaccessible places" and he would never by one. He put weight in the truck bed and chains on in the snow. As kids my brother and I would ride the rear bumper to add additional weight to get in and out of our regular hunting area. Shovels and come-a-long came in handy a few times.

I of course did not listen to him and have owned eight different 4WD vehicles, but I still carry the chains and come-a-long plus I have locking differentials front and rear in my hunting truck.
The way I see it, you drive a 4x4 until you have to chain up. THEN you turn around and use them to get out, 2 or 4 as needed. If you high center it, that's a whole different story.

― George Orwell

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Just came over Willow Creek Pass on Colorado state highway 125, between Walden and Granby. It was raining in Walden but the pass had slush, then dropping temp and 3 inches of snow on top. Got stopped by some poor bastages pullling a pop up camper trailer with a 2wd truck with all season tires. No chains. They jack-knifed and blocked the highway. Unhooked the trailer but they still couldn’t go forward or backward. Pushed the trailer to the side. This all happened in a narrow spot and we are lucky that the logging trucks were done for the day. Thought we could pull Them with my 4wd GMC but couldn’t pull up and I sure as hell wasn’t going to pull down with them above me...afraid they would toboggan right into me. My chains were way too big for their tires and I really didn’t want to part with them anyway. And of course no cell service or Onstar. Another guy with a nice new 4wd F250 came along, had the right size ball to pull their trailer, so was going to try to pull the camper to a wide spot where they could camp for the night, but they said they were unprepared, no warm clothes etc. Once I got down into cell service I called this in to the Jackson County sheriff who sent a deputy up to check, but not sure a tow driver can be found etc. Moral of the story I guess is to confirm everything already said above. This all happened on a nice paved and maintained state highway, but in this area there is now plowing after 5 pm.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a set similar to these for my car that I've never used. They just happen to fit my camp trailer so I carry them when hunting to use as drag chains if things get nasty. I haven't needed them yet but I have them if I do. Trailer chains can save your butt sometimes.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

― George Orwell

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Adding a locker in the differential of a 2wd will get you into some amazingly rough places. However, it can also put you in the ditch if you use it on slick roads. Once you start to slide, it will keep you sliding.

Oh so true..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by riverdog
Just came over Willow Creek Pass on Colorado state highway 125, between Walden and Granby. It was raining in Walden but the pass had slush, then dropping temp and 3 inches of snow on top. Got stopped by some poor bastages pullling a pop up camper trailer with a 2wd truck with all season tires. No chains. They jack-knifed and blocked the highway. Unhooked the trailer but they still couldn’t go forward or backward. Pushed the trailer to the side. This all happened in a narrow spot and we are lucky that the logging trucks were done for the day. Thought we could pull Them with my 4wd GMC but couldn’t pull up and I sure as hell wasn’t going to pull down with them above me...afraid they would toboggan right into me. My chains were way too big for their tires and I really didn’t want to part with them anyway. And of course no cell service or Onstar. Another guy with a nice new 4wd F250 came along, had the right size ball to pull their trailer, so was going to try to pull the camper to a wide spot where they could camp for the night, but they said they were unprepared, no warm clothes etc. Once I got down into cell service I called this in to the Jackson County sheriff who sent a deputy up to check, but not sure a tow driver can be found etc. Moral of the story I guess is to confirm everything already said above. This all happened on a nice paved and maintained state highway, but in this area there is now plowing after 5 pm.

Friggin' yuppies..........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have a set similar to these for my car that I've never used. They just happen to fit my camp trailer so I carry them when hunting to use as drag chains if things get nasty. I haven't needed them yet but I have them if I do. Trailer chains can save your butt sometimes.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

Those "diamond shape" chains drive smoother, don't "lift" off the tire as much when traveling more 15mph, and consequently allow for more clearance on today's yuppie trucks--especially on the front axle. Of course, they're more expensive too.......

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
+1 to the above advice. Get four V-bar chains, with just two on the rear axle, you may not be able to prevent the front axle from sliding sideways on a crowned or tilted road. Four chains will really help with braking on icy downhills.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
In 2018 the paved roads were all clear in South Central CO, but above 8000' or so on forest service roads snow was 10"+ in a lot of places. Lots of steep dropoff's. I wouldn't have been there in a 4X2 truck. I brought chains for all 4 wheels, but didn't need them. Later in the week as the snow melted it turned to mud. The only time I had any trouble was meeting a 4X2 truck going up while I was coming down in a muddy section. He only wanted 1/2 the road, the middle 1/2. I got too close to the edge and slid into a ditch. It took a few tries, but I managed to drive out. I bought a winch when I got home.

A lot of guys were trailering ATV's to just where pavement ended and using them at higher elevations where snow/mud was worse.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/15215332#Post15215332

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Aviator
Planning on parking on county roads not using any forest service roads...elevation about 8000ft got chains and weight in the back...What do you guys think?

Hope you're not planning on hunting in Colorado. If you're trying to stay at or below 8,000' elev., you will have to be driving in tunnels, because most of the mountain towns are at elevations above 8,000', and the parking areas on county roads and trailheads are even higher.

You will have to drive higher than that to hunt elk in Colorado. But, if you stay on county roads, have lockers (positraction) in the differential, and weight in the back, then you still ought to be OK if you have chains and KNOW HOW TO USE THEM.

Last edited by KC; 09/12/20.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Here are the current tire chain ratings. Some new trucks tell you to use type S on the front as there isn't enough clearance for U's. My Dodge 2500 is that way but by using narrower tires, I can run U's without any problems.

SAE class S:
Regular, non-reinforced passenger tire chains and cables for vehicles with restricted wheel well clearances.

SAE class U:
Regular, non-reinforced and lug-reinforced passenger tire chains for vehicles with regular, non-restricted wheel well clearances.

SAE class W:
Passenger tire chains that use light truck components, as well as some light truck chains.

― George Orwell

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Once you have been in a truly bad situation you will never be without 4WD .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if it is 'truly bad' out, 4WD won't help..... it only helps if thing are 'kinda bad'.....

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (44mc, 10Glocks, 7887mm08, 808outdoors, Akhutr, 21, 13 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 707 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.