Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
A while ago i picked up an SR-22 pistol for my kids and fell in love with it. Thought maybe I would look for something similar in 17 HMR. Upon investigation i couldn't turn anything but revolvers up.

Does anyone make a semi-auto type pistol in any 17 caliber now.... or ever did?

life, liberty, and the pursuit of all who THREATEN it!!!!
BP-B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
When the HMR first came out, a few daring souls converted the Grendel .22 Mag autoloaders to the new round. They had issues, big issues, with the guns firing out of battery, just like Remington did with their 597 rifles, and most everyone else's .22Mag autoloading rifles.

It's not a good idea, and whenever someone gets a wild hair and tries it, they have innumerable problems. If you want an HMR handgun, buy a Single Six or a Taurus, and just forget about an autoloader.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ratsmacker: I agree with your advice - and want to add this - don't forget the wonderful Smith & Wesson Model 647 revolver in 17 HMR.
I bought mine when they first came out and have been happily and successfully shooting it ever since.
This stainless 6 shot revolver with 8 3/8" barrel is accurate to the point of shocking.
If the OP can find one on the open/used market i highly recommend it.
Long live the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
There's always Contender, too.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My dad built an autoloading 17 HMR rifle out of a 10/22 22 Mag. He put an aftermarket stock on, and a carbon fiber barrel, along with a heavier bolt and spring. He never shot it. I inherited it from him and replaced the trigger. It shoots like a dream. The autoloader needs more mass in the bolt and a heavier spring than a standard 22 Mag, or the brass can separate near the case head.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
My dad built an autoloading 17 HMR rifle out of a 10/22 22 Mag. He put an aftermarket stock on, and a carbon fiber barrel, along with a heavier bolt and spring. He never shot it. I inherited it from him and replaced the trigger. It shoots like a dream. The autoloader needs more mass in the bolt and a heavier spring than a standard 22 Mag, or the brass can separate near the case head.

A buddy of mine built one, too. A genuine fancy walnut stock, yadda, yadda, and it worked fine, until it didn't, when his granddaughter was shooting it She got a faceful of gas and a bad attitude about shooting. Ruger quit production of the 10/22M because of out-of-battery firing. The bottleneck case of the HMR will be even more susceptible to such shenanigans, especially in a pistol.

Again, it's a bad idea. A PROVEN bad idea.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've had a Taurus Tracker 17 for about twenty years now. Only T gun I've had zero problems with and that will shoot 1.5 MOA at 100 yards, scoped, on a dead calm day. Gun was $225 back then. I doubt twice that would tempt me now.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Ratsmacker: I agree with your advice - and want to add this - don't forget the wonderful Smith & Wesson Model 647 revolver in 17 HMR.
I bought mine when they first came out and have been happily and successfully shooting it ever since.
This stainless 6 shot revolver with 8 3/8" barrel is accurate to the point of shocking.
If the OP can find one on the open/used market i highly recommend it.
Long live the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I have the same gun, let’s just say that not all of them are great shooters.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Tndrbstr: I wonder if you could expound on your brief contention a bit - regarding questionable accuracy in your Model 647?
My Smith & Wesson Model 647 has a Burris 7 power pistol scope on it and shoots amazingly well (in my opinion!) for a revolving pistol.
Have you tried different munitions in your Smith & Wesson Model 647?
Do you have a scope on your pistol or are you relying on the open sights?
The Model 647's are kind of a rare bird and I only know one other owner personally and he is a Varmint and Grouse Hunter like myself - and he loves his Smith and its accuracy.
I have not shot my 647 at 100 yards like Papag has his Taurus - but in the field I have killt the very narrow Ground Squirrels often out at the 70 - 80 yard ranges with my pistol.
In full disclosure (and I have relayed this numerous times in the past on this forum - including when it first happened) my first Smith & Wesson Model 647 in 17 HMR that I purchased new came from the factory with NO rifling in the barrel!
This created a painful situation when I first fired it impacting my cheeks with tiny bits of shrapnel.
This painful firing continued for a short time until I was certain something was wrong with the pistol - my bore scope once I got back home, discovered the shiny reamed out barrel with NO rifling and thus no where for the 17 caliber bullets to expand into normally.
I sent that pistol back to Smith & Wesson who promptly replaced it with the aforementioned dandy shooting Model 647. How that first pistol got out of the factory with no rifling still puzzles me - human error for sure.
Looking forward to your particulars.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Varmintguy, I had a 4x32 eer scope on the 647. It has since been moved over to a 617 lr 6" barrel that I small game hunt with. I have ran every .17 load through my gun that I could get a hold of. None of it made much difference.
There is a reason the 17 hmr 647s are rare. A s&w rep told me they discontinued the model due to accuracy issues. Not saying that there are not some great shooters out there but according to the guy I delt with the issues were enough to stop production of the model.
S&W offered me a straight exchange on another 22lr pistol but I declined. The 617 shoots great and the 647 just keeps going up in value.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

A buddy of mine built one, too. A genuine fancy walnut stock, yadda, yadda, and it worked fine, until it didn't, when his granddaughter was shooting it She got a faceful of gas and a bad attitude about shooting. Ruger quit production of the 10/22M because of out-of-battery firing. The bottleneck case of the HMR will be even more susceptible to such shenanigans, especially in a pistol.

Again, it's a bad idea. A PROVEN bad idea.

I rebarreled a couple of 10/22 Magnums to 17 HMR some years back. Found that a heavier bolt and springs would work if the chamber was kept spotlessly clean, but it would fire out of battery if there was any foreign material buildup, not a good thing. I put mine back into its original configuration and sold it for about twice what I
had into it. I sold the barrel and bolt to a guy who knew that he could make it work 'cause irt was obvious that I was doing something wrong. I heard that he had at least 3 out of battery firings.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hate scopes on pistols, reddots are much better. All you have to do is put the dot on the target and pull the trigger.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Papag
I've had a Taurus Tracker 17 for about twenty years now. Only T gun I've had zero problems with and that will shoot 1.5 MOA at 100 yards, scoped, on a dead calm day. Gun was $225 back then. I doubt twice that would tempt me now.

Simpson LTD has a 6.5" Taurus Tracker in 17 HMR for sale on their site for $382.50, their inventory number 36935 in the "other manufacturers" section.

B
BKS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a S&W 647 and am pleased with it so far. I want a Freedom Arms 97 in 17HMR but alas my pocketbook isn’t deep enough.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
About right. Add in my 2-7 scope and we are near $450.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
conradKa: I think all you have to do with a pistol that has a "scope" on it is "put the crosshairs on the target and pull the trigger" as well!
At least that is what I do.
I have numerous pistols with scopes on them and numerous pistols with red dot type sights on them - both seem to get the job done for me.
To each their own I guess?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
BKS: That is good news on the accuracy and happiness you have with your Model 647.
Do you Hunt with it or just shoot at the range and such?
I have never been to Arkansas - do they have Tree Squirrels there?
I have Hunted all manner of small game and Varmints with my 17 HMR pistol - it is challenging and fun.
When I am out on a "walkabout" with my 17 HMR pistol I always bring along my tall Primos bi-pod - at 73 years of age I am NOT as steady as I used to be.
When Hunting Ground Squirrels with my 647 I most often shoot from the VarmintMobile over either window bags or while standing on the tailgate and shooting off the roof of the canopy over large shooting sandbags.
The 7 power Burris pistol scope makes this a very deadly (accurate) shooting platform.
One MUST be careful where they place their "off hand" when shooting thusly as the "cylinder "blow-by" will hurt/harm ones fingers and hands.
Been there - done that.
Enjoy your revolver.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Kimber made a1911 platform in .17 Mach !!.

Anschutz made a bolt pistol in .17 HMR.

I have several Annie Bolt pistols , Exemplar and others . a.22 Hornet, 2 2 LR and .17 HMR. All shot better and better.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Cisco1: One of my Ground Squirrel Hunting buddies years ago had a Ruger MK-III re-barreled into 17 Mach2 and the new barrel is silencer capable.
I have shot this pistol and it is just a hoot to shoot when silenced.
I forget what type scope is on it but it is deadly accurate and quite quiet.
When shooting Ground Squirrels prone from my Keb-Lab shooting mat the Ground Squirrels just can't figure out what is hitting them!
I wonder if the T/C people make a single shot pistol barrel in 17 HMR?
My centerfire 14" heavy barrel T/C pistol is amazingly accurate - I bet a heavy barrel 17 HMR T/C would be the cats meow.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Varmintguy,

The .17's are fun to shoot. Yeah the "quiet" Ruger would be a blast.

I find my self shooting my 1885 or Annie in Mach II the most. I bought out all the MachII ammo at a gun shop in Northern, WI. several years ago when the bloom had fallen off.

The Mach II rifles are so damn accurate it ain't fair.

I usually shoot coyotes in the yard with a hornet.....but, I had the MachII 1885 out when a stupid coyote , that had been living on borrowed time , came around the bait. When he cocked his head to see who was sucking on a finger ....he got it in the ear.

He was as surprised as a near sighted porky trying to make it with a cactus.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
292 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 257_X_50, 280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 44 invisible), 2,151 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,725
Posts18,400,614
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.