Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was out yesterday shooting the 6mm CM and noticed something that may actually be common with No 1’s. Using a front rest and rear bag. I had the front rest positioned around the rear half of the forearm. If I kept my left hand on the rear bag, I was shooing nice tight groups. If I held on the the rear of the forearm with the left hand, I was seeing a lot of vertical stringing. Both positions seemed stable to me.

Next trip to the range will include field positions with shooting sticks and backpacks to see how it shoots in those positions.

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve only messed around with a couple. I bought one in 22 hornet and it has shot extremely well with H110 and 40gr vmax or BT and now lil’gun and the same bullets. It usually shoots 5 shots into 5/8-3/4” and is one of my favorite pdog rifles. My cousin shot it and had to have one. We found him the same gun in 222 and it shoots 50gr blitz or TNT’s into really tiny groups but for some reason often flicks one out and “ruins” the group to about 1”. Both rifles are bone stock.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Fotis
Ruger #1S 300 H&H Mag

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Seems a lot of your rifles are very accurate.

Reckon it’s something to do with attention to detail and shooting technique.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Fotis
Ruger #1S 300 H&H Mag

Seems a lot of your rifles are very accurate.

Reckon it’s something to do with attention to detail and shooting technique.

DF

Back in the early t mid 90's I worked part time in the LGS (mostly to support my firearms habit) and I had a saying, " 90% of the guns in this store shoot 100% better than the person pulling the trigger".

WTBS my RSI 7x57 has had all the stuff done to it and it's a decent shooter with one load. 50 gr. H414 and a 145 Speer GS. Hot load. Nickle cases and neck sized only. Chrono'ed 2850 the only time I've ever checked it.

My #1 medium sporter in 45-70, I don't know how it shoots yet. No time to mess with it right now.

"Aim right, squeeze light"
" Might as well hit what you're aiming at, it kicks the same whether you miss or not"
NRA Life, GOA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
TTT

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Number 1s that have been plenty accurate for any hunting I care to do (as if I am an eyeball hunter)!

Hornet #1B (Jacketed and cast loads)
243 #1B
270 #1A probably the most abused, but least fussy
7X57 #1A fussy with most, but shoots 139 GMX very well.
9.3 x 74R #1S 286 Hornady especially
45-70 #1S tackdrives 300s...pounds tacks with 500 Hornadys

A 218 #1B has never been as great as I'd like, though head shots on bunnies @75 yds haven't been a struggle.

And a 7mm Rem Mag #1S while not a highly consistent grouper, can't be blamed for missing the meat bundles it is intended for.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had a newer International in .257 Rbts that I couldn't get to shoot for love or money. It now lives in a new home of a guy that wanted a challenge.

I've had two others that shot well.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dale06
I’ve had four of them. Two were 22ppc heavy barrel, one a 223 heavy barrel, and one 22 hornet sporter. After various so called enhancements to the forend hanger system, a couple of expensive trigger replacements, and other things, I gave up on them. Never got a thing close to a consistent 1” group.
Neat guns, but not accurate guns.
I know what you are thinking, but I have many a Rem 700s, Sakos, and Anschutz rifles that shoot half inch to 1” groups. If they don’t, they’re sold.
Dale, you got it right, some say the early (4 digit serial ) shot pretty well, but they are not bench shooters, neat guns, probably bought at least 8 or 9 never had one shoot better than 1.5, which is alright for a lot of folks, Ken

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had a 4 digit #1 in .243. It probably had the Douglas barrel as an early gun, was accurate enough. I traded it.

DF

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by scoony
I was out yesterday shooting the 6mm CM and noticed something that may actually be common with No 1’s. Using a front rest and rear bag. I had the front rest positioned around the rear half of the forearm. If I kept my left hand on the rear bag, I was shooing nice tight groups. If I held on the the rear of the forearm with the left hand, I was seeing a lot of vertical stringing. Both positions seemed stable to me.

Next trip to the range will include field positions with shooting sticks and backpacks to see how it shoots in those positions.

I'm not surprised. Ruger #1s can be quite finicky on they way the forearm is positioned at the bench. One method that seems to work is have the front bag up against the receiver. A bit awkward but it does work.
PJ

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Only accurate rifle are interesting and kept. Never owned a #1 that met that criteria.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Obviously did not know how to handload.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have never had factory ammo shoot as well as my ammo that i reload for my rifles including my Ruger #1`s . i have a lot of trust in my Ruger #1`s that i hunt with these Ruger #1`s never jam , never freeze up ,have a great safety and are very accurate . this year i let my 10 year old grandson try a bolt action ,AR-15 and a Ruger #1 , i let Alex decide what rifle he wanted to use he told me he preferred my Ruger #1 220 Swift with a grin . this kid`s got some taste and it also had a Nightforce scope on this Ruger #1 . so if you don`t like your Ruger #1 how much ? what cartridge ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
My only No.1 is a .308 1B which easily hangs right around an inch with good loads. All I have ever done to it is relieve the forend pressure on the front of the receiver with sand paper wrapped around a 12 gauge shell. That settled it right down. The trigger is a slight bit heavier than I would find ideal, but it’s okay, it’s a hunting rifle. The hammer fall is noticeable, but it’s okay, it’s a hunting rifle. I have no doubt accuracy could be improved with a better trigger and lighter hammer. Hell, a little load development and more effort shooting off the bench would improve it but, after all, it’s just a hunting rifle.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have skimmed this thread, and so far I haven't seen anybody mention the quality of barrels used on No. 1's over the years. (Have owned No. 1s from the earliest to the latest.)

The first models used Douglas barrels, and tended to shoot very well.

Then Ruger started using cheaper barrels, and some were pretty good, and some were awful. Plus, for some reason many of those had extremely long chamber throats, far longer than SAAMI--which generally didn't help.

In the early 1990s Ruger started hammer-forging their own barrels, which immediately improved accuracy not only in No. 1s, but other Ruger rifles. I have yet to encounter one of those that didn't shoot well, and some VERY well--often right out of the box.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have owned 3. All 45-70. Each shot a solid 1 1/2" group using my standard load of 53 gr of Re7 and a 300 jhp
I would start with a real good cleaning. Remove all copper fouling. Invest in a good product and don't be afraid to do it several times.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
yep Mule Deer your right about the different barrels over many years good and poor barrels ,the ones i hunt with all have custom barrels . but oh how i still like these great American made single shots to own and hunt with . thanks for posting the barrel facts , Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I bought a used one over the weekend . 1982 model 1B in that inadequate 30-06. Took it to the range today and man does it shoot well. I hope I don't need another one anytime soon grin

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Like i said before, my dads .22-250 B which dates to '74 shoots decent, but it was sent back by prev owner who bought it new and it shot like crap. Ruger rebarreled it.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hookeye
Like i said before, my dads .22-250 B which dates to '74 shoots decent, but it was sent back by prev owner who bought it new and it shot like crap. Ruger rebarreled it.

Starting to wonder if a lot of this is the Indian and not the gun.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1beaver_shooter, 69 invisible), 2,748 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.