Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
The 270 is gay.

Everyone knows that.

P

Does that make the 280 BIsexual ?

ATST I understand ‘wanting’ what you want. I liked the 284 W for a long time before
I was able to get one.

? Maybe that’s a simpler answer to your quest ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
BP-B6

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Yeah, but your the one who is going to bend over and take it near the wallet to get what you want, monetarily anyway. That's pretty gay anyway just to keep smiling. MB

grin grin

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d think it’d be a piece of cake for a great smith to make it exactly the way you want. The 280 will be a little jammed in the Mags with longer bullets but if you don’t shoot the long ones then it doesn’t matter anyhow.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TheBigSky
I'm going to do this same thing with one of my stainless Tikkas in 270 or 30-06. I'm going to get a McGowen prefit barrel, maybe a Proof barrel, in 280 Ackley. I'm not with the group suggesting the McMillan; but, to each their own. There are a lot of companies now making pre-fit barrels for the Tikka action.

I didn't realize prefits would work on the Tikka action. I'll have to look into how they headspace.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Pharmseller,

I did almost exactly what your are asking to do with my Sako 85, I wanted a 280 AI, so to rebarreled my Sako with a Krieger Barrel - I did it during my last class of gunsmithing school, so I had to do it myself... but yes... it can be done.

AS THE GUYS SAID - Tikka’s are all long action, the only thing I would caution is if you get a 7.08 version, the heavy part of the barrel may not extend far enough to cover the neck of a 280.
Normally the chamber barrel profile sticks out past the neck area just a tad (with the exceptions of ultralight barrels) to give one protection..

I’d really really like a stainless Tikka in .280 Rem but they don’t make it. I don’t know Jack about converting rifles into different cartridges, so educate me. What are my donor options?

P

Last edited by Spotshooter; 09/08/20.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I'm going to do this same thing with one of my stainless Tikkas in 270 or 30-06. I'm going to get a McGowen prefit barrel, maybe a Proof barrel, in 280 Ackley. I'm not with the group suggesting the McMillan; but, to each their own. There are a lot of companies now making pre-fit barrels for the Tikka action.

I didn't realize prefits would work on the Tikka action. I'll have to look into how they headspace.

I've been researching this recently and, apparently, they are quite easy. Supposedly, they are quite easy for do-it-yourselfers to do. It is my understanding all of the tolerances necessary are quite good with the Tikka actions. I'm only relaying what I have discovered recently based on my online research. I'm not trying to assert something about which I am personally knowledgable. It's got my interest enough to continue my quest.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeah, but your the one who is going to bend over and take it near the wallet to get what you want, monetarily anyway. That's pretty gay anyway just to keep smiling. MB

I got money.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

I got money.

That's a good place to be! If you already have the rifle, I don't think a re-barrel is going to break the bank, even if you have a Name Brand smith do the work. If you've got access to the tools, you might consider doing the swap yourself, per:

I've been researching this recently and, apparently, they are quite easy. Supposedly, they are quite easy for do-it-yourselfers to do. It is my understanding all of the tolerances necessary are quite good with the Tikka actions. I'm only relaying what I have discovered recently based on my online research. I'm not trying to assert something about which I am personally knowledgable. It's got my interest enough to continue my quest.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You CLUELESS Fhuqking Droolers are a HOOT,as you give it your BEST. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Teekers are HILARIOUSLY 10" RPM in .284". Punching a 7-08 out,don't satiate that "thinking". Hint.

Their COAL "latitude" in a 2.5" case is equally HILARIOUS. Hint.

Teeker mags suck THE heaviest of ass and in all fhuqking chamberings. Hint.

If polishing THE Turd was requisite,the 284Win chambering connects all dots. Go 8",throat for a 180 Smooch and still have a Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

Bless your hearts for TRYING.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

TheBigCry yet again tries to erase her fhuqking STUPIDITY.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

TheBigCry yet again tries to erase her fhuqking STUPIDITY.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

Hey little buddy. I hope you are well. Ya, I continued my search after posting that and found my answer. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you by asking a question. Can I assume, based on your rationale of my stupidity that, since you don't know how to remove, disassemble, re-assemble and re-install a 25mm main gun on a Bradley Fighting Vehicle, that you are stupid? I'm just asking, like I said, utilizing your rationale. Have a great day little buddy.

To those who care, I've ordered and am having installed an 8 twist barrel, chambered in 280 AI, and plan to order a Red-Snake Tactical AICS bottom metal for my project unless someone else, including you Little Buddy, have a better bottom metal recommendation.

Pharmseller, I'll try to keep you posted on my results.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

To those who care, I've ordered and am having installed an 8 twist barrel, chambered in 280 AI, and plan to order a Red-Snake Tactical AICS bottom metal for my project unless someone else, including you Little Buddy, have a better bottom metal recommendation.

Sounds like you've got it well in hand. You opted for the McGowen? How long? Is McGowen putting it together for you?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TheBigCry,

I enjoy the notion,that you are stumped in both 7mm and 25mm...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Do add up the conversion costs,cite who's barrel(McGowen sucks ass) and it's throat geometry(which you remain CLUELESS upon) and regale with your DBM's COAL,for even more oblivious fhuqking HUMOR. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for TRYING,you poor,poor(literally) CLUELESS Fhuqk.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sounds like you've got it well in hand. You opted for the McGowen? How long? Is McGowen putting it together for you?

Yep, I'm going to give McGowen a try as they have offered me a military discount. I went with a 24 inch 8 twist barrel and, yes, I am having them put it together. We'll see how they do. As stated above, I think I'm going to go with the Red-Snake Tactical bottom metal unless further research dissuades me.
Originally Posted by Big Stick
TheBigCry,

I enjoy the notion,that you are stumped in both 7mm and 25mm...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Do add up the conversion costs,cite who's barrel(McGowen sucks ass) and it's throat geometry(which you remain CLUELESS upon) and regale with your DBM's COAL,for even more oblivious fhuqking HUMOR. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bless your heart for TRYING,you poor,poor(literally) CLUELESS Fhuqk.

Hint.

LAUGHING!..............

Little Buddy (aka Big Stick, aka Thread Killer),
Your reading comprehension skills are diminishing again. Keep working at it. Stumped at 7mm? No. Stumped at rifle builds? Admittedly, yes. Stumped as to the 25MM? As a certified 19D instructor, with an H designator and as a master gunner, one tends to become quite familiar with that particular weapon. I hardly think so. As to anything I have posted for which you may have something to offer, assuming it's not in some sort of code language, I'm open to suggestions and I thank you in advance. And, once again, thank you for blessing my heart. At times, you are a good man. Be well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TheBigCry,

Kudos on your "getting" a "deal"...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I enjoy your TRYING to "talk" rifles,as you fend your COUNTLESS well founded Insecurities. Hint. LAUGHING!

You poor poor(literally) CLUELESS Fhuqk. Hint.

Bless your heart.

Hint.

LAUGHING!.........

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pharm, had a friend knock off two bucket list items with one rifle purchase. 280 Rem M70 Super Grade that he had chambered in 280ai. Worked well. I would imagine spinning a 7mm barrel onto a Tikka action is your best bet. If you're doing so, I'd recommend at least a 1:8.5 if not 1:8. Darn bullets are getting long. PS Why not an Improved if you're going that far?

Murphy was a grunt.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I was thinking about something similar recently. Figured a 7-08 rechambered to .284 would be the easiest and cheapest way to go. Shorter case lets the long bullets work in the shortish Tikka OE LA mags. There's a good smith about a half hour from here who quoted me $250 for the rechamber.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, I think the 284 Win would be a sweetheart in the Tikka if you got the magazines feeding smoothly. The 1-8 barrel would open up a pile of opportunity for good bullets.

Semper Fi
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jwall
I liked the 284 W for a long time before
I was able to get one.

? Maybe that’s a simpler answer to your quest ?

Jerry

Yep, easiest, cheapest and close to 280 R performance.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jwall
I liked the 284 W for a long time before I was able to get one.
Jerry

And then......?

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
I'm fairly sure that a .280 reamer stuck in 7mm-08 will not cut a clean chamber, unless you set her back about two threads, which defeats the whole purpose, time is money in the gun shop.
Start with a new barrel, twisted for what you want, in a length you want.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
687 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,779 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,846
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.