Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
M D said above ^^^

"I suspect the warning about the "new" H4831 being hotter than the mil-surp comes not from Australian-made H4831, but the FIRST replacement Hodgdon had made in Scotland. This was back in the late 1970s, if I recall correctly, and the Scotland H4831 was indeed a little hotter than most of the mil-surp powder. Warnings about this appeared in many gun magazines."

From personal experience I know that's true. I had used 62 grs of surplus 4831 for years UNTIL I bought this can of powder.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Note the rust on top ring of can. I STILL have that can from 1980 SOMETHING.
NOTE Hodgdon stated " Newly Manufactured". The lot # on that can is 9 1 81 which was the date it was 'canned' > lol

I did NOT know about lot to lot variation TILL that can of powder.

62 grs of THAT yielded 3200 PLUS fps. and expanded the primer pocket. By dropping the charge to 60 grs I was back down to 3100 fps.

I don't remember now why I kept that pound, it's still nearly full of powder.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 09/08/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Tejano
Some like the 85 6mm

That has been my favorite whitetail bullet for the last 20 years or so even though they offer those new fancy-dancy AccuBonds . But of course I’m a retro-grouch and still use IMR4350 in the .243 WCF .

Some will go on and tell me ( whether I asked or not ) that the 85 grainers are too light for deer , but having harvested 20+ whitetail with those 85 grainers at very close Northeast hunting distances ( less than 50 yards ) , I have yet to recover a mushroom from a shoulder shot ( both – thru and thru ) .

I have hoarded enough of them to last my lifetime but also have a huge supply of the 95 and 100 grainers .

Last edited by bulkie_roll; 09/09/20.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The wife of a good friend of mine (another gun writer) decided to take up big game hunting a few years ago. They live in West Virginia, and have a hunting camp in the mountains, but instead of going after whitetails, her first hunt was a safari in South Africa. Her rifle was a .243, using 85-grain Partition handloads, and she killed three animals with one shot each--an impala (about the size of a whitetail) and a gemsbok and blue wildebeest, which go around 450 and 600 pounds, and are considered among the toughest of the plains game.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good information, I assume by "Hotter" you mean faster burning. Another thing I have heard and probably a myth is that the current H4831s burning speed was based on older lots of milsurp that had become slower with age.

Those 85 grain Noslers are not just for kids, I think the added velocity puts them right up with the 95 & 100 grain bullets.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have both ther red and white boxes as well as some black and gold boxes. Back in the day they were 100 bullets to the box now down to 50 and with the Accubonds $1 apiece. Just re sighted my 7x57AI
with the 160gr Accubond and was impressed with the accuracy with 4350. Loaded 20 shot half of them and will beat future price increases with a couple more boxes. I'm anxious to try them in the 275 Rigby and a M70 carbine.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
GSPfan,

"Back in the day they were 100 bullets per box."

Can't remember ever seeing that with Partitions. The one red-box of .270 150s I had, mentioned earlier in this thread, held 50. So do the remaining yellow boxes of lathe-turned Partitions, which include bullets up to 300-grain .375s.

You might be remembering when Ballistic Tips were 100 per box.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
If anyone has the old partitions from Ashland Oregon, with either the red box or red/white box, and wants to sale, I’d be interested. In particular I’d like 270 or 7mm but will take other calibers. Let me know what you have and what you are asking. I collect all things Nosler. Thanks

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I still have several boxes of these from the 70's I continue to use when the Win Mag gets the nod..never had issues with accuracy or dispatching game..

As you can see 50 count per box ...mfg Beaverton Oregon..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Back in the day they were 100 bullets to the box...

Wasn't there a company that used to put 101 in the box to make sure they didn't short anyone?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
IME, yes. Early in my handloading adventure I used to count bullets in the box.

Hornady always had 100 + in each box.

Per Nosler, as far back as the 70s, Noslers Partitions were 50/box.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Partition's are the only hunting bullet I use now - tried others and they work but the partition can be placed through the shoulders and no meat is lost...

Shooting a MRC 280 Ackley with 150 grain partitions over H-4831sc and CCI BR2 primers - very accurate, - DRT as they say...

Best hunting bullet made in my book...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have both ther red and white boxes as well as some black and gold boxes. Back in the day they were 100 bullets to the box now down to 50 and with the Accubonds $1 apiece. Just re sighted my 7x57AI
with the 160gr Accubond and was impressed with the accuracy with 4350. Loaded 20 shot half of them and will beat future price increases with a couple more boxes. I'm anxious to try them in the 275 Rigby and a M70 carbine.

If you are paying a dollar a bullet, you are paying too much. They can be had for closer to half that price. $26.95/50 for the 7mm 160 Accubond.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I guess I'll have to look around more.

Last edited by GSPfan; 09/13/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those lathe turned bullets worked very well. I've shot up all that I had. As far as accuracy, I thought they were very good also.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SpritWalker
Partition's are the only hunting bullet I use now - tried others and they work but the partition can be placed through the shoulders and no meat is lost...

Shooting a MRC 280 Ackley with 150 grain partitions over H-4831sc and CCI BR2 primers - very accurate, - DRT as they say...

No argument with your conclusions about Partitions, but I am baffled by the comment: "can be placed through the shoulders and no meat is lost". How could ANY expanding bullet travel through the shoulders of any game animal and not destroy meat??

41rem Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Wasn't there a company that used to put 101 in the box to make sure they didn't short anyone?

Sierra did that.

My Dad always liked those, they seem more of a target bullet to me . I’ll run a Nosler or Barnes

We deal in lead, friend.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I shoot lots of Sierra bullets and the deer are just as dead as with a Nosler (I do like the Accubonds) or Barnes.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by southtexas

No argument with your conclusions about Partitions, but I am baffled by the comment: "can be placed through the shoulders and no meat is lost". How could ANY expanding bullet travel through the shoulders of any game animal and not destroy meat??

In my experience with the partition it doesn't destroy meat like other projectiles - can't explain it- just drives through.. Only ones I ever recovered is when I was lucky enough to have the time to drive out to Helena and kill elk with my bud from the Army..
Deer- never found one, just a damn fine hunting bullet - best made... Blood shot meat, maybe a little but not like others..

They perform the same on game every time, never a surprise...

Last edited by SpritWalker; 09/16/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Since bullets are for reloaders, they need to put 105 in a box. At least 101 because you need one for a dummy round that you use to reset your dies should you use the same set of dies for different loads for one or more rifles. Having 99 loaded rounds in a box because one is in the dummy drawer is just plain gay.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by southtexas

In my experience with the partition it doesn't destroy meat like other projectiles - can't explain it- just drives through.. Only ones I ever recovered is when I was lucky enough to have the time to drive out to Helena and kill elk with my bud from the Army..
Deer- never found one, just a damn fine hunting bullet - best made... Blood shot meat, maybe a little but not like others..

They perform the same on game every time, never a surprise...

I think we are in agreement. I was just quibbling with the statement that " no (as in ZERO) meat is lost" even with a shot through the shoulders.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 22 invisible), 2,308 guests, and 913 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,648
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.