Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
He's 80 and mobility getting tougher.
Asked me which guns I wanted, told me to come and get em now.

I told him he's got 5 to 10 more yrs in him and they're his, do as he wishes with em.

Just feels wrong to go over and take my dad's stuff.
Yrs ago I mentioned a couple (when asked) that he could put in the will.

Hate this kinda crap.

He had an old bud that was in bad shape, wanted me and pops to take all his guns (less than a dozen) as his daughter and son in law were jerks.
We didn't.
The old man died, the jerk son in law flipped em for cheap.

I then understood how it wasn't about the guns, but the guns and having good folks use them.
The gift more than the hardware.

Kind of a slice of immortality.

Pops has good insurance, and is OK for a while.
Figure things need to get much closer to the end before I accept any.

I could buy a couple, at market value, if he puts them up. I'd do that early.
But then he could sell em and that wouldn't bother me either.

Its his stuff.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You should accept them, graciously.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I am going to sound like an ass you will have to forgive me. Suck it up princess your dad is still ahead of you.

Ideas are far more powerful than guns, We dont let our people have guns. Why should we let them have ideas. "Joseph Stalin"

He who has braved youths dizzy heat dreads not the frost of age.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I went through a version of that. My dad had Alzheimer's, and was way past shooting or loading. My step-mother called my brothers and I and said it was time to clean out the gun room. My dad was standing there as we sorted through and packed up all his shooting and reloading stuff. He was really stressed, and we kept having to distract and re-direct him away from the room. It was a hard day A traumatic day for all of us. Decades of memories in that room. Some of my earliest memories. I still use his stuff with reverence. I still thank him each time I use something that was his. I still tear up just typing this.

I hope you can find a way to make it an honorable exchange for both you and your dad. I feel for you.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Before my Dad died He gave me all his guns. I just kept them and will give out to family members when they are ready. I could care less about monetary value . Want to pass along his memory.

Just accept them and try and to keep in the family.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He wants YOU to have them.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
I agree. Wholeheartedly. It would give him tremendous joy.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your Dad won't get any joy from you having them after he's dead. Accepting a gift graciously is a social skill much lacking these days.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
I want to KNOW that mine made it into the hands that I want to have them...................

maybe your dad does too!!!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He just might want the enjoyment of knowing you are using them. I've given a few of mine away just to know that they are being used. Some have and some haven't, but that is ok too. I've got grandchildren that will get them before too long.

IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Well I am 69 years old and have been trying to get my sons and grandson to come and get some of the guns I have now so they can use them now rather than later. My son said the same thing as you, that I should keep them because they were mine and I still had some time to use them, or I should sell them. I don't need the money.

I don't hunt like I use to and I cannot possibly make good use of all to these I have. I purchased many of these guns with them in mind when I bought them, and them getting use of them now makes me happy. I loaded up a dozen or so and took them to him. They are actually doing me a favor by allowing me to get down to a manageable amount of rifles and a couple of shotguns, it give me a little room in my safe for some fly rods.

Just maybe your father is like me and he truly wants you to have his guns.

Last edited by VaHunter; 09/11/20.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

100% agree...

Every exchange has a cost/responsibly.

Making sure your pops has respect and dignity is a fair exchange in his eyes... I would bet on every time.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Muffin
I want to KNOW that mine made it into the hands that I want to have them...................

maybe your dad does too!!!

Exactly...

Pops peace of mind should never be discounted.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Yep, my Pops is 84 and handed over his Winchesters when he was 70 or so....just the cycle of life.

Due to the increased price of ammo, don't expect a warning shot...
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Several years ago, Dad stepped into my house with his old Rem 760 in '06 with the 3-9 Bushnell Scopecheif and I was honored to take custody of it for him.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Hes a grumpy old bastid LOL
With cooler temps he should get out more to the range.
Should help his disposition.

As long as he still sends lead down range I figure he should keep all his stuff (or sell whatever he wants to).
If he sells it all tomorrow, that's cool.

My concern is his possible future medical expenses, and IMHO his stuff could be sold for that (if need be).

Last edited by hookeye; 09/11/20.
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I went through a version of that. My dad had Alzheimer's, and was way past shooting or loading. My step-mother called my brothers and I and said it was time to clean out the gun room. My dad was standing there as we sorted through and packed up all his shooting and reloading stuff. He was really stressed, and we kept having to distract and re-direct him away from the room. It was a hard day A traumatic day for all of us. Decades of memories in that room. Some of my earliest memories. I still use his stuff with reverence. I still thank him each time I use something that was his. I still tear up just typing this.

I hope you can find a way to make it an honorable exchange for both you and your dad. I feel for you.

Sorry for your loss. Glad you have stuff to stay connected smile

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
My dad got old on me

But he's still going, just slower and a little wobbly.
And he still shoots.

Not avoiding the issue, just don't think it time yet (since still shooting).
I figure he's got 2-5 more yrs before the exchange.
and maybe another 5 past that.

But really my focus is not having one of his grandkids beat him to the grave.

She does like his Anschutz Exemplar LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think that it will make him feel better if you thank him and show your appreciation for him by taking him hunting and fishing on every occasion he wants. Ask him every other week from now until he goes into eternity. I'd let him know that they are his and always will be.....you will keep them safe for him and the wrong people won't steal them.

Just my thoughts looking back.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It has zero to do with monetary value. I gave a rifle and a pistol to a cousin (when it was still legal to do so). It’s a good feeling. Schit doesn’t matter.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10ring1, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,386 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,319
Posts18,468,418
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.