Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Might upset him if you don’t take them now. It could be a load off of him. After him seeing what happened to his friend’s firearms.

My grandfather lived another 7,8 years after he doled out chunks of his estate. He wasn’t particularly pleased with what my mother did with with $100Large but that’s another story.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A couple of years ago, while at my Dad's place, my Dad, who is also 80, asked me to come into his gun room (the basement). He had his pre-64 Win. Model 70 in 264 Win Mag sitting on his bench and asked me if I wanted it? I said, of course I want it, but I don't want to take it from you, you can still use it. Now, you have to understand that this rifle was my Dad's pride and joy. He'd taken many animals with that rifle and I knew it was one of his favorites. He never had even let me shoot it in the past. But he told me that he had plenty of other rifles to use if he wanted to and that he didn't think he would be using this rifle any more and wanted me to have it to use. I started to say something, hesitating, and he told me that I better take it now before he changed his mind. I swallowed my objections and took the rifle. He subsequently gave me a box with all of his brass, bullets, and loading dies for the rifle. And then I started shooting it, handloading for it, and then took it on an Antelope hunt where he accompanied me and my son. I believe it made him happy to see me hunting with it. Dad is still around and doing well, but doesn't hunt much anymore, or shoot much. He told me not to tell my siblings that he had given it to me, and I didn't. But I subsequently found out from my brother that my Dad had given him an -06 of his. So I figured he was getting rid of a few before he kicked the bucket. And, I figured it was his decision to make

I say take the rifle or rifles, if offered, and give him some peace of mind that you'll appreciate them as much as he has. It's probably not about the money to him.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Muffin
I want to KNOW that mine made it into the hands that I want to have them...................

maybe your dad does too!!!

Exactamundo. I have been farming mine out for the last couple years to the people I want to have them...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive called folks, I’m 68, and told them a gun or knife they are getting.

People in my family live to at least their early 90s.

Folks wonder if I’m alright.........then we talk and they understand

It will ease your dads mind knowing things will go as he wants.

Ease his mind. It is important to him.

I’ve given guns that aren’t built yet.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Go get em .
He wants you to have them and know they are in your care.

We all have heard the stories, I'm sure he has also.
He wants a peice of mind passing em on to you.
Let him have that peice of mind while he is still alive.
He is reaching out to you to have them now.
Do it so it aint an unspoken issue for either of you. Dont let it become uncovered ground.

No other way to put it.

Consider it an honor with diginity he is wanting to accomplish.

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I gave away a safe full of guns to a family member a while ago. They had accumulated and I was tired of maintaining them.

I could have sold them but didn't need the aggravation, so I just gave them away.

Now I'm out buying some more that are more closely aligned to my interests today.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m in my mid 60s and have more guns than I need. A couple were handed down from my parents and there’s nothing that would please me more than seeing my kids take them now and take their kids out shooting with them.

Actually I’ve already told them that there’s some of them in ready to hand down now but just waiting for one of them to get a gun safe set up first.

I’d say take them. Also may consider taking him out shooting with some of them. My mom is 89 and we still take her out once a year to shoot the S&W 32 pistol my dad gave her in the 40s

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
You probably don't need another fella saying the same thing, but IMO you should take them all and thank him. Then clean and oil the entire lot and offer to take him shooting.
His guns, his choice.. and he chose you.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I went through this in the last year with my dad. It was tough.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad is 86.
He wants them handed out now. He enjoys being able to give them away. I cant take that from him.

Also less [bleep] for us and mom to go through when it's time.

Use them and tell him about it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
My dad is 86.
He wants them handed out now. He enjoys being able to give them away. I cant take that from him.

Also less [bleep] for us and mom to go through when it's time.

Use them and tell him about it.

+1

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ll echo what others have said. That he probably wants for you to have them and hear about you enjoying them while he’s still living. You should go get the guns tell him how loved he is and how much you appreciate the guns.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My father did something similar to that. Then ,later on he changed his mind about how he wanted his guns handled. I was supposed to get all of them, and there's probably close to 50 or more guns. My two natural brothers can't have them due to previous arrests/convictions and my two step-brothers are just idiots.

Well, one day my father and I were out at the range and he said he has changed his mind about the guns and wants me to sell them for him when he's gone and give my step mother the money. He said I could come over and pick 5 guns that I could have when he was gone and sell the rest.

It sucked, but I finally went over and made my choices.

The lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Id take a few of them, it will make him Happy, he may know something that you dont health wise!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Have no sons and will not have grandchildren ( due to health risks ).

Am the last.

Sis has kids, is well off. Lives several states away. Her kids met him twice? No boys.

About 20 yrs ago it was discussed, what would i like when he is gone. He has the list.

AFAIC ill get em whenever that time comes.
Its not like hes preoccupied with death all of a sudden.

It isnt a new subject.

He blabs about it once a week now..... instead of once every two weeks like he has the last 10 yrs.

Or once a month like he did the 10 yrs before that.

Foreigners are strange LOL

Last edited by hookeye; 09/11/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My pops is on a kick where about once a month he gives me and my daughter 2 or 3 Morgan dollars and a couple of walking liberty halves.

Maybe he’ll bring his Sig down one day 😃

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
My dad is Sig crazy.
I had to show him how to run the Lula loader for his 1911.

He was trying it backwards lol

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
You should accept them, graciously.

Here is your answer.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
He has not offered specific items to me, has asked that I pick some from a decent sized catalog.

I did that yrs ago.

He has the list, and I can wait. He can throw away the list too. Doesnt matter to me.
We are very different people.

I think he might be a bit pissed that I dont shoot or do all the stuff I used to.

H
hookeye Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
H
Hell i just dumped some of my own stuff because i wasnt using it or it pissed me off.

Originally Posted by DubThomas
My father did something similar to that. Then ,later on he changed his mind about how he wanted his guns handled. I was supposed to get all of them, and there's probably close to 50 or more guns. My two natural brothers can't have them due to previous arrests/convictions and my two step-brothers are just idiots.

Well, one day my father and I were out at the range and he said he has changed his mind about the guns and wants me to sell them for him when he's gone and give my step mother the money. He said I could come over and pick 5 guns that I could have when he was gone and sell the rest.

It sucked, but I finally went over and made my choices.

Similar deal, no stepmom though.
Sis is very well off and is not close to pops.

Watch the old fart be a total deke and say sell it all in the will and donate the $ to BLM

LOL

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
330 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 45 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.