Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
What with CZ out of the picture best I can figure only Heym is offering that chambering.

Anyone know of any others?

Pud

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Get a M-70 CRF in a RUM round and stick a Walther barrel on it. I did. Works great. Takes some action work. But not that big a deal for a good smith. About the least expensive way to go.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 09/11/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just saw this thread and and like many, have always heard what a great round the .404 Jeffrey is for African large and dangerous game. So, I looked up the 300 grain and 400 grain ballistics, and DANG, if it is not up close to my .405 WCF top 400 grain loads.!
A friend of mine has his 1895 .405 WCF 400 grain Woodleigh muzzle velocity up to 2157 fps and still being tweaked up to 2200 fps!

Who would have thunk it!??? An old "Made in the USA" 41 caliber rifle doing that well . :):):)
Eager now to try his loads in my Simson Suhl DR.

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
P
Puddle Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
What I really wish is Ruger take another run at chambering the cartridge now that lessons have been learned and do some "buddy marketing" alongside their 400 Jeff #1. Yea, I know - it won't happen, but I'd luv to have one to go with my 400 Jeff #1.

I do agree Dirtfarmer - that's easily the least expensive way to go about it.

Pud

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Not the cheapest route, but you asked who still makes the 404 Jeffery.

I had Dakota make me one on their Safari (not African) action. The rifle has a 23" barrel and weighs 8.5 lbs. It's a dream to carry, and I have taken two cape buffalo with it in Zambia.

I added crossbolts, 1/4 rib, and a hooded, banded front sight to their Safari model to get what I wanted in a DG rifle.

IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Old ballistics for the 404J, although they built the cartridges reputation. Today any good 404J rifle will achieve 2400 FPS with a 400 grain 0.423” bullet, solid or soft. Enough for anything up to and including elephant.

The 300 grain load in the 404J was never a good idea IMHO.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I took both of my Zambia Buffalo with 400 gr. SAF in my Dakota 404 Jeffery at 2,300 fps.

On my last safari in Zambia, I switched to 430 gr. NF at the same velocity, but never got a shot at a Buff. Maybe next time...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Visit with forum member Biebs as he is selling one on accuratereloading.com right now. Built by Wayne at AHR on a cz 550 magnum action. Nice looking. I want to build one on one of my LH Zastava Mauser guns.

The way life should be.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bluefish
Visit with forum member Biebs as he is selling one on accuratereloading.com right now. Built by Wayne at AHR on a cz 550 magnum action. Nice looking. I want to build one on one of my LH Zastava Mauser guns.

AHR CZ hard to beat.

DF

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

AHR CZ hard to beat.

DF

I just put one up in the Classifieds. It's my elderly friend's. Never shot since Wayne finished it. He has one in 400 H&H as well.

Last edited by Biebs; 09/12/20.
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Biebs

AHR CZ hard to beat.

DF

I just put one up in the Classifieds. It's my elderly friend's. Never shot since Wayne finished it. He has one in 400 H&H as well.

Your old Buddy has some damn fine rifles for sale Biebs, the old chap had an eye for good taste in builds too.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes, he's worse than I ever was....well, almost :-)

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I am in the process of finishing up a 404 Jeffery build on a Defiance Rebel CRF action with a 21.5" PacNor #5 in a Bansner Sheep Hunter stock.

Waiting ln Hawkins aluminum bottom metal and Wyatts 300PRC mag kit to arrive so I can assemble and sort out feeding.

Will finish around 6 3/4lb bare and should be a real bear thumper.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by AK416
I am in the process of finishing up a 404 Jeffery build on a Defiance Rebel CRF action with a 21.5" PacNor #5 in a Bansner Sheep Hunter stock.

Waiting ln Hawkins aluminum bottom metal and Wyatts 300PRC mag kit to arrive so I can assemble and sort out feeding.

Will finish around 6 3/4lb bare and should be a real bear thumper.

Scope and rings should add a pound or so. Still pretty light. A standing bench like Elmer used will be a lot more comfortable than a conventional bench.

Post pictures when you git it together. Sounds nice

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
A few years ago, I picked up a used New Haven M-70 in 300 RUM for around $750 with scope, IIRC, a Nikon or similar.

I sold the stock, rings, bases, bottom metal, barrel and scope for enough to drop the action price to around $300. The Williams bottom metal, IIRC, was around $150. I bought a Walther barrel, as they were one of a few makers producing barrels in that caliber. I think it was around $300.

Add $450 for the smith to fit the barrel, modify the action, mount Talley SS bases with 8-40 screws, $600 for a D'Arcy Echols Legend stock. I got a NECG peep sight and windowed, fiberoptic front. I already had a Winchester New Haven fold down rear which I used because of the peep sight. It came off my .375 H&H which now has NECG irons. I'm guessing $150 or so for the NECG parts, including barrel band..

I fitted the barrel band, Steel Bedded the action, painted the stock with Brownell's Aluma Hyde, which is a very tough paint. Doing a good bit of the work myself, I'm guestimating $1,650 out of pocket for a top performing .404J that wouldn't have to take a back seat to many.

Look how well the bottom metal dropped in D'Arcy's inletting (I didn't touch it). Echols perfect. This stock is std. fill. McM, who makes D'Arcy's stocks, recommends mag fill. D'Arcy said std fill would work; he installed two cross pins and it's held just like he said. BTW, D'Arcy is very easy to work with, generous with his time and expertise.

It would be hard to have more gun for less money, IMO.

Last photo shows it with Victory scope in QD Talleys, next to my AHR CZ 9.3x62, a pair of serious thumpers.
The AHR would today cost around 4 times what I spent on the .404J, but for sure it isn't 4 times the rifle.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 09/13/20.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

LOL, Word! cool

Nice rifles DF, I just had a purpose built African stalking rifle built on a M-70 action in 400 H&H, with scope, leather sling, and 4 rounds on board it weighs 8.5lbs, 400gr A-Frames and BBW #13 solids at 2400 fps boot a bit, especially with the checkered skeleton butt, it's okay though, the rifle is wonderfully accurate and easy to carry, being that accurate also means it wont have to be fired so often ; ]

Carried much more than fired was the whole purpose of the build, it's a beauty too.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

AHR CZ hard to beat.

DF

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ican-hunting-rifle-in-404-jeffery#UNREAD

Here's the link.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500

LOL, Word! cool

Nice rifles DF, I just had a purpose built African stalking rifle built on a M-70 action in 400 H&H, with scope, leather sling, and 4 rounds on board it weighs 8.5lbs, 400gr A-Frames and BBW #13 solids at 2400 fps boot a bit, especially with the checkered skeleton butt, it's okay though, the rifle is wonderfully accurate and easy to carry, being that accurate also means it wont have to be fired so often ; ]

Carried much more than fired was the whole purpose of the build, it's a beauty too.

Pictures?

Get wifey to help, or send them to me and I'll post'em...

Bieb's bud has a 400 H&H. Would like to see that one, too.

Is it for sale?

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
DF, Thanks, just took her to the airport this morning, she'll be home Wed evening, will have her fire some pics to your e-mail, I bet Biebs' buddys 400 H&H is or certainly will be for sale.

Trump Won!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
DF, Thanks, just took her to the airport this morning, she'll be home Wed evening, will have her fire some pics to your e-mail, I bet Biebs' buddys 400 H&H is or certainly will be for sale.

What's your comparison/opinions of the .416 Rem, .416 Rigby, .404J and .400 H&H?

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
649 members (01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 69 invisible), 2,821 guests, and 1,350 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,654
Posts18,399,200
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.