Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Apparently very few members have read the entire thread, which contains a lot of useful info from some people who have actually seen a bunch of "coastal brown bears" killed (and have killed a few charging bears).

Always love this schidt, since it goes on and on and on....

As a result am going to suggest a .600 Nitro-Express double rifle as the absolute minimum for STOPPING a "coastal brown bear," no matter where it's hit. Which is obviously BS.

There is no way I would advocate the .600 NE! Because they make a .700NE on the same platform. Those bears are BIG.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Texson2
Cascade,
Damn nice Bear! 👍

Thanks! He's all I could ask for. Wonderful hide too.

Guy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TX35W

One other thing about your CAS rifles. I could run my short-stroke Uberti and Marlin 94 many times faster than even my tuned and slicked up 1895. I had worries about short stroking my 1895 because the throw was so long (and also longer than what I was used to). The throw was so long it really wasn't much faster than a bolt action. This might not be the case with your Winchester, though.

Once you shoot a bolt action enough you'll probably notice that you do a lot of the bolt manipulation under recoil anyway. So you are not actually losing that much productive shooting time. Again difference between CAS rounds and even a warm 30-06 load.

Both good points. I know my M71 won't be as fast as a slicked up M73 or Marlin 1894.... just haven't tried to work it fast, recently to get a feel for comparison.

Ditto manipulation under recoil, way different from (even a relatively heavy) CAS competition round.

-Chris

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by las
I'm an expert on this subject. The 7th or 10th time while moose hunting that I've come thru a thick screen of brush wilth .30-06 in hand to find a steaming gallon of bear scat at my feet, I up calibered to a .338WM.

It worked, too. 50 plus years in Alaska and i've yet to shoot (or even want to) a brown bear.

I skeert them, I did.

And the reverse a few times.... smile.

I do not recommend using a pair of binoculars at 3 yards tho. Lacks penetration. Focusing adjustments are now a bit stiffer too.

Maybe if I'd used 15 X 60 instead of 10 x 40?

Good luck on your hunt.

This made me laugh out loud! Thanks las.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I guess out my ABPF (already been paid for) battery I would choose from my Rem721 300 H&H with 200 partitions or M98 338-06 with 210 partitions.......

Moe

"Pick out two!"
IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Ask your guide what the minimum caliber should be. Guides have prejudices and some are reasonable.

I would use my .375. .375s have a reputation for lighter recoil than some lighter higher-velocity jobs, probably because recoil takes place while the bullet is in the barrel. Heavy and slow beats light and fast if the foot pounds of recoil are the same. Spreads the recoil over a longer time.

Bigger holes in the barrel are more impressive, maybe not to the bear but to the hunter.

As for push feed vs. CRF, every military rifle action developed since 1898 has utilized push-feed. They are reliable.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, this thread has a bunch of good information.

As far as action type, I am simply bolt action trash. I have used bolt actions forever, and that is my choice.

Simply thinking of speed, a semi auto would be hands down the fastest, then a pump IMO. My Dad has used a Remington 760 in 270 Win since about 1970, his only big game rifle. I have seen/heard him work the action so fast on running critters that you would have thought it was a semi auto. I grew up shooting pump shotguns and can run rounds through pretty dang fast.

As far as lever actions, they have never grabbed a hold of me. Have had a few, BLR, Marlins, Winchesters. 22LR to 45-70. There is no way I could ever take one on an "important" hunt. I would certainly take a pump action if needed.

If not a bolt action, hand me a Rem 760/7600 in 30-06 or 35 Whelen and I am sure I could not only kill a bear, but be ready for follow up shots post haste,

Arcus Venator
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Ask your guide what the minimum caliber should be. Guides have prejudices and some are reasonable

As for push feed vs. CRF, every military rifle action developed since 1898 has utilized push-feed. They are reliable.

What about the 1903 Springfield and 1917 Enfield ?
But you are correct that all the semi automatic military rifles are push feed. So we're the early military Mausers, until reports of rifles jamming due to human failures due to the high stress of combat. The CRF rifles came about for that reason and under some hunting conditions they are still preferable.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Hunted bears twice in SE Alaska some years ago. Cruised the bays and inlets plus walked into several areas. Outfitter was very adamant about calibers, bullets and scopes he wanted us to use. Nothing under 338, with heavy preference to 375 or 416. Bullets were to be soft points like Hornady or Woodleigh and scopes had to be very good in extremely low light. Swarovski or similar with thick reticles.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Slightly off topic, but Phil Shoemaker, would you consider a big coastal Brown Bear harder to put down and more dangerous, or a big African Cape Buffalo.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Wow, interesting reading. Not hard to tell the real experts from the guy who has never been or reads to many hunting magazines. I have never hunted these bears and know nothing about them but if I were going I would listen to guys like Phil Shoemaker and other guides. Having said that, for me personally I would buy a 375 H&H and spend an entire year shooting it. If I feel comfortable, I’d take it. If not probably a 300 win that I have great confidence in.. seems to me you have to be mentally comfortable no matter what as long as you can put your ego aside and actually shoot from all positions

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by BCHunter666
Wow, interesting reading. Not hard to tell the real experts from the guy who has never been or reads to many hunting magazines. I have never hunted these bears and know nothing about them but if I were going I would listen to guys like Phil Shoemaker and other guides. Having said that, for me personally I would buy a 375 H&H and spend an entire year shooting it. If I feel comfortable, I’d take it. If not probably a 300 win that I have great confidence in.. seems to me you have to be mentally comfortable no matter what as long as you can put your ego aside and actually shoot from all positions

Phil Shoemaker has posted many times that a 30-06 is perfectly adequate for big bears. Take your own advice and listen to Phil, you don't need to buy a 375

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard that someone killed a polar bear with a 22LR...

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bugger

That has probably happened... but you may be confusing the story of the WR interior grizzly which an elderly Native woman killed with a 22LR.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

That has probably happened... but you may be confusing the story of the WR interior grizzly which an elderly Native woman killed with a 22LR.

Interesting thread, the more I think about how big, fast, and how tight the cover could/can be hunting these great bears, leaves me thinking hard about my 338 Win Mag and 250gr A-Frames or Partitions, no need for me to scrimp ; ]

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by gunner500

Interesting thread, the more I think about how big, fast, and how tight the cover could/can be hunting these great bears, leaves me thinking hard about my 338 Win Mag and 250gr A-Frames or Partitions, no need for me to scrimp ;

I've actually been practicing running mine recently, partly due to this thread. Using snap caps for that, now. Haven't had it out for a number of years (er... decades) and I'm (re-?) discovering how smooth the Model 70 action is.

Way back then, I think the Barnes X bullets had just emerged and I heard recommendations to use their 210-grain (I think) X instead of a 250-grain Partition or similar. I of course thought that might be hogwash, being generally of the "Keith school" where bigger, heavier, and faster is always more good-er-er. These days, I reckon I could give a nod to the whole idea of reduced recoil, at least or especially for practice rounds. What to use for real? Hmmm... yep, A-Frames or Partitions... or maybe TTSXs... or...

-Chris

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm getting too old for a grizzly hunt, I suppose. I think though I'd be carrying my 375 Whelen AI on a Mauser 98 action if I were to go. I sold my last 338. I might (probably not) take my pre-64 375 H&H AI.

But I recall the killing of the polar bear with a 22 LR was by a native gal - Eskimo if you will, not an interior grizzly bear.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Ranger4444
Originally Posted by gunner500

Interesting thread, the more I think about how big, fast, and how tight the cover could/can be hunting these great bears, leaves me thinking hard about my 338 Win Mag and 250gr A-Frames or Partitions, no need for me to scrimp ;

I've actually been practicing running mine recently, partly due to this thread. Using snap caps for that, now. Haven't had it out for a number of years (er... decades) and I'm (re-?) discovering how smooth the Model 70 action is.

-Chris

I re-discovered the same this past Spring. I'd forgotten how consistently smooth Model 70's are. I was shooting live ammo. It was a good, confidence-building feeling.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm getting too old for a grizzly hunt, I suppose. I think though I'd be carrying my 375 Whelen AI on a Mauser 98 action if I were to go. I sold my last 338. I might (probably not) take my pre-64 375 H&H AI.

But I recall the killing of the polar bear with a 22 LR was by a native gal - Eskimo if you will, not an interior grizzly bear.

This is a link to the actual story about the World Record grizzly bear being shot by an elderly Native woman, with a 22lr.

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/wh...-to-kill-a-world-record-grizzly-in-1953/

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

This is a link to the actual story about the World Record grizzly bear being shot by an elderly Native woman, with a 22lr.

https://www.ammoland.com/2014/11/wh...-to-kill-a-world-record-grizzly-in-1953/

I can find nothing about a verified polar bear kill using a 22lr, just a number of internet claims without names. I have zero doubt it can be done. I killed my first moose with one more than 50 years ago. I just cannot find a valid report of a polar bear kill.

Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
688 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12308300, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 81 invisible), 2,783 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,634
Posts18,398,904
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.