Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
My current set up is on a tree that’s facing semi east which is obviously messing up my morning footage.

I plan on using a 4x4 post but the issue with facing it north is that it runs into two game trails.

I can place it south with no issues but I have read that north is ideal....has anyone put a camera south with out any issues?

Lastly I am running video no pictures.

Last edited by Boxerdog; 09/11/20.

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have run a cam for years, with tens of thousands of pics. Never once have I considered the primary directions when placing a cam.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve had to move a few cameras due to the sun washing out the morning photos also. I normally use a t post and bracket if no trees are available in the location I want. I also brush them in a bit to conceal them.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

I tend to overthink things, but I have never considered cardinal direction when placing a camera. I just usually find a nice tree and hang it on. The vast majority of deer movement in my area takes place when it’s dark and glare from sunrise in the morning or sunset in the evening has never been an issue.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I always try to point them at least a little north if they’re not in the shade. Experience tells me direct sunlight causes more false triggers and glare on pics. Maybe not all cameras have the false trigger problems that my cabelas and Bushnell cams have. Doesn’t hurt to try, you might get along fine. You can always move it if need be.

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I just put em up where ever the site suits it best. Never been more than a few goofy pics on any certain day depending on the sun. I have more trouble with wind and snow that anything else.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Running close to 75 give or take 5 I always figure out out to point semi north even in shaded areas shade moves through out the day

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
the correct navigational direction to place a game camera is where the deer are walking.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tzone
I just put em up where ever the site suits it best. Never been more than a few goofy pics on any certain day depending on the sun. I have more trouble with wind and snow that anything else.

Same here and I've run cams in some years 8 months of the year. A few glare pictures aren't a game stopper.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the woods , any direction that works.

Edge of a field or plot. North or south to avoid sunrise / sunset.

Pro tip - those “ flower spray stands” that cemetery throw in the trash after funerels makes great camera stands.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
As mentioned earlier in this thread I try to face north when possible. But for several days in a row now we have been having pretty heavy fog at night. My cellular cam that’s facing north in an area without much airflow is having problems with the lens staying wet and taking foggy pics several hours after the fog has cleared off in the morning. So even north had problems too.

And btw- I am currently sitting in a fiberglass deer blind for KS muzzle loader season. My phone says it’s 77 degrees outside, but I’m pretty sure it’s about 105 inside this blind by the way I am sweating🙄

Last edited by crc1514; 09/14/20.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I had the same problem with the dew / fog last year with quite a few big deer on camera but in the fog. I moved it on a post facing north and I will pull the videos soon.

Originally Posted by crc1514
As mentioned earlier in this thread I try to face north when possible. But for several days in a row now we have been having pretty heavy fog at night. My cellular cam that’s facing north in an area without much airflow is having problems with the lens staying wet and taking foggy pics several hours after the fog has cleared off in the morning. So even north had problems too.

And btw- I am currently sitting in a fiberglass deer blind for KS muzzle loader season. My phone says it’s 77 degrees outside, but I’m pretty sure it’s about 105 inside this blind by the way I am sweating🙄

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,243
Posts18,466,884
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.