Print Thread
Hop To
#15203137 09/07/20
G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Okay Men, I went too clear some brush and shooting lanes for an old Man bud of mine, trouble is, the hollow but still very solid tree he has a stand in has had what I think to be about a billion honey bees set up a homestead, the old man cross bow hunts, he cant draw and bow anymore, so he'll be out early, he muzzle loader and rifle hunts too, I don't want him to get stung and he doesn't want me to move his stand....................I WILL NOT kill those bee's, you Men have any ideas here?

Thanks.

Trump Won!
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you know someone who keeps bees they might move them for you.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Go to www.okbees.org. They have a page where you enter your location and they list bee keeps that collect/relocate swarms.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks bucktail and jd9770, I never knew that, will find someone that can come and move the bees. smile

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ya, I am betting there are some individuals who would love to relocate a hive. I found one not too long ago oozing out of the soffit of an old farmhouse!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Simple, if he does not hurt them, they will not hurt him. Just move slow around them.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Have them moved. That way you won’t worry about it anymore.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by gunner500
Okay Men, I went too clear some brush and shooting lanes for an old Man bud of mine, trouble is, the hollow but still very solid tree he has a stand in has had what I think to be about a billion honey bees set up a homestead, the old man cross bow hunts, he cant draw and bow anymore, so he'll be out early, he muzzle loader and rifle hunts too, I don't want him to get stung and he doesn't want me to move his stand....................I WILL NOT kill those bee's, you Men have any ideas here?

Thanks.

Don't be dramatic about killing the bees...

Good luck on the relocation. Trees are as hard as it gets for that and without removing the comb outta the tree or sealing up entry/exit holes, bees will return very quickly. If they Africanized, don't even attempt....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
typically most beekeepers will NOT move a beehive out of a tree, because (at least in our state) it's a NO NO. Legal wise.

Are the bees higher than his stand or is he higher than the bees?

If it's below 55 degrees typically bees don't fly or do much.

if the bees are higher than him, by how much? 1 foot? 6 feet?

distance will matter.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
i dont even think i have seen a bee yet this year.

IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Thanks for all the advice men, I talked to a bear biologist buddy of mine in a neighboring state, he said the same as some of you, bee removal from a tree is tough and not worth the trouble, he actually laughed, the hive is in the base of the tree, the old mans steps up the tree are on both sides of the bees.

Problem solved though, I set up a pop up ground blind for the old man, put him a comfortable folding chair with pad to sit on, he can actually see more of the area in the blind, I got him to agree not to hunt his 'bee stand' until cold weather, so should be all good for now.

Trump Won!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Didn't know bee removal from trees was that difficult, but it makes sense. Learn something new everyday.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Didn't know bee removal from trees was that difficult, but it makes sense. Learn something new everyday.

LOL, yes, old bear bio buddy laughed at the idea, he said even bears know what they're in for reaching in a tree for some honey, said they'd have to be damn hungry.

Trump Won!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Some Bee Keepers will move them for free if you give them the bees.

I just read the post above where the the Bear guy said they're hard to remove from trees. I know a guy around here will screw with bees anywhere. This guy messes with live rattle snakes. He's just a total looney period.

Last edited by Filaman; 09/14/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
We had a shooting bench set up next to a Walnut tree in a field that had honey bees. We blasted away and they never bothered us.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, damn Filaman, old man neighbors pappy died on the mountain behind this farm reaching in holes fuggin with rattlers too, takes all kinds I guess.

Thanks blairvt, the old man would have to block their entrance and straddle the hole to get up to his stand, bear buddy of mine said they get testy if you block their entrance/exit.

Trump Won!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Anybody messes with live rattlers just ain't right in the head! Either that or he's just tired a livin'.

Anybody messes with bees ain't none too bright either.

Last edited by Filaman; 09/14/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,149 guests, and 786 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,238
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.