Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Planning a trip for summer of 2021. Thinking about late July thru early August for the better road side salmon fishing. Any thoughts from you locals? I lived up there for 4 years in the early 2000s but that’s been awhile

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What kind of fish? Kings? Sockeyes?

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Plan to find salmon. Preference is socket to eat and kings to catch. I caught a lot of pinks around Valdez about 18 years ago in late July — I think. Canned them

BLUF - coming fro Alabama to AK for salmon, so we ain’t picky.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
If you want a good amount of decent salmon, get thee to Seward in July for a couple of silver salmon charters. 6 fish per person per day will add up for you if you want to take a couple of boxes of good quality salmon home. I'd rather have those than sockeye from a river, but that's just me. If you really want to ring the bell, show up for your charters with a small insulated fish bag full of ice, and ice down your fish immediately after bleeding. Not all charters put your fish on ice after bleeding, and the quality difference is apparent. Pray dear Lord also that you hang a king or two...Seward feeder kings are incredible eating. Then, drive around and fish for various trouts, chars and grayling. I think you'd have more fun that way, with fewer people and better scenery. Grayling along the Denali Highway is a riot, with incredible scenery, if a bit buggy. Salmon get all the attention, and you're driving by world-class stream fishing only to stand shoulder-to-shoulder to fish salmon.

If you want kings, PM Calvin on this site, and plan a separate trip to SE AK.

P
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thanks Vek. I did something similar our of Valdez. I had a jet boat, but still went out a ways. We stayed 9 days at the Eagle Nest campground. What a ball. We were trying for some close in halibut and watching the depth finder, my hillbilly ass saw it go black at about 40 feet. I told one of my friends to look at all the shad. That was my first thought.

Anyway,what I was seeing were schools of silvers. We started jigging cut herring on halibut rods. Bunch of guys from KY having a ball and catching fish

We also got into snagging the pinks out in front of the hatchery.

Finally took a trip with Silver Lining Charters (I think). The Cpt resided out of North Pole when he wasn’t chartering. Slammed the halibut with 3 over 150#. What a trip.

I only lived up there in Two Rivers for about 4 years. Sure miss the north land. I envy you guys

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Late July is usually good fishing for reds in the Kenai and Russian as well. If the run is good the limit could extend to 6. A week there then a trip to Seward and Valdez could mean you need a freezer to take your haul back home with you.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While the Russian and Kenai are good fishing spots, you may also want to look into streams on the Parks Highway. Lots of good fishing on Montana Creek, Willow Creek, and several others in the area. It also gets you into seeing more of the area.

R
R
Originally Posted by paddlejon
Planning a trip for summer of 2021. Thinking about late July thru early August for the better road side salmon fishing. Any thoughts from you locals? I lived up there for 4 years in the early 2000s but that’s been awhile

Thanks

I do not have any advice or info for you mate. I just want to chip in because I am excited about hunting in 2021 and Alaska is my destination. I canceled all my hunting adventure this year due to COVID-19. Looking forward to a better next year, I guess is it is so with you too.

Between what is the best hunting adventure for the first time Alaska hunting experience? Asking for myself and my family of four. Me, my wife, and two kids (15 yrs and 21 yrs).

Thank you.

Last edited by roryling1; 09/12/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by roryling1
Originally Posted by paddlejon

Thanks

I do not have any advice or info for you mate. I just want to chip in because I am excited about hunting in 2021 and Alaska is my destination. I canceled all my hunting adventure this year due to COVID-19. Looking forward to a better next year, I guess is it is so with you too.

Between what is the best hunting adventure for the first time Alaska hunting experience? Asking for myself and my family of four. Me, my wife, and two kids (15 yrs and 21 yrs).

Thank you.

Way too many options without a lot more detail...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,913 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,031
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.