Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#14515722 01/28/20
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My son is 9 and is getting interested in trapping. I trapped up until around 15 years ago. I gave a friend my traps so he could use them with his kids, and I’m sure they’re gone by now. What suppliers are you guys using to get traps, bait/lure, and really everything else. I was planning on running Bridger dogless traps since the main targets are bobcats and coyotes. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated as well. I just want to use this as more time to spend with my son outdoors so it’s not overly serious. I want him to have fun, but I’ve got to keep it on a budget so as much as I’d like $30 traps it’s just not practical.

BP-B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Where are you located in ok? Okie Cable and trap is located in Crowder. Jed has a full supply and a fur buyer also.. F&T Post is a big catalogue supply co.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've bought supplies and sold some fur to Jeb Hollingshead down at Crowder over the years, but also use Minnesota brand quite a bit too.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Being from Indiana I mostly use Hoosier Trapper Supply but have occasionally ordered some stuff from Cumberland Trappers Supply also.
Prices don’t seem to vary to much with the different suppliers. Mostly it comes down to more varieties of lures and baits.

Last edited by JTrapper73; 01/30/20.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I live in Weatherford so Crowder’s a little out of the way. I’ve been looking and Kaatz Bros. Prices seem good and they have a good selection.

Anyone know why OK law says you’re only allowed 2 springs on a trap?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter

To my knowledge its due to the laws regarding trapping were put in place when the traditional long spring trap was the most common and coil springs were not. ODWC does have the desire to "update" some of the trapping regs. They proposed (but I cant recall if it passed or not) a bill last year to move the trapping laws out of Title 29 (controlled by legislature) and into Title 800 (controlled by ODWC) this would allow the agency to make changes without going through the same processes which is usually easier.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
That’s the only reason I could think of as well. I had to explain the difference to our game warden, which I guess surprised me.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
F&T Post, PCS Outdoors, Minnesota Trapline, WCS, The Snare Shop, I buy from them all, but my go to is either F&T or PCS.

I spend all my money on loose women and trapping supplies.....The rest I just waste.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bridger traps are the old northwoods traps but the quality is better now. The #2 traps are what I use most on the yotes and they are cheaper than the $30 traps. Minnesota brand is a good place to buy as is the snare shop. Ray

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
RP Outdoors in Mansfield, La. is another good place to buy trapping supplies.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have ordered from most of the major suppliers. F&T used to be by go to. Then I switched to MTP. F&T makes constant chronic mistakes. Too many I think to be an accident. You have to watch the orders like a hawk. The mistakes are never in the buyer's favor. Finally I had it out with Shawn and won't by from them any more.

MTP goes above and beyond. They have never made a single mistake in any order that I have had from them.

Most smaller suppliers are good and I like to support them too. There are bad apples out there, and if you keep abreast of trapping forums you can usually avoid them, most don't last long.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Oldman3
RP Outdoors in Mansfield, La. is another good place to buy trapping supplies.

+ 1. Good people ^ ^ ^ to deal with

Otherwise Cumberland or Minnesota

A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
Schmitt Enterprises or FnT Post, both have been very good. Honestly, I have not had any bad dealings with any trapping company. Bridger Dogless are good solid traps for coyotes.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Years ago you could trap in the ditch with a single spring trap

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Years ago you could trap in the ditch with a single spring trap

Still can.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by WL205
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter

To my knowledge its due to the laws regarding trapping were put in place when the traditional long spring trap was the most common and coil springs were not. ODWC does have the desire to "update" some of the trapping regs. They proposed (but I cant recall if it passed or not) a bill last year to move the trapping laws out of Title 29 (controlled by legislature) and into Title 800 (controlled by ODWC) this would allow the agency to make changes without going through the same processes which is usually easier.

I sure hope that goes through ! Our regs are ridiculous.
Regs state when using DOUBLE SPRING traps signs must be posted at all entrances to the property being trapped . I was using SINGLE SPRING traps .Game warden said " if its a trap signs must be posted " , I didn't argue the point.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haven't trapped in a good while. But Sterling Fur Company in Ohio was always great. I had some direct dealings, both buying from and selling to, Keith, the owner. Good, stand-up guy.

https://sterlingfur.com/

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
MN Trapline Products. They own and make both MB and Bridget. Super people and incredibly fast shipping. Also, LOTS of free, good information in the archives at Trapperman.com

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
717 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,928
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.