24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Been using SPG for some time and it works well in my world with one exception. Load and shoot within a few weeks is dandy, but load 'em up and wait 30-45 days and I start seeing oxidation on the bullets that in time starts to look and feel like corrosion. I typically use 30:1 alloy and sometimes 20:1, but they both do the same. I do not have this issue with ALOX or other lubes used for smokeless cartridges.

Any suggestions about a lube that shoots well and does not cause or promote oxidation?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bullshop NASA.
I'm hearing good things about SPG tropical, but don't know how it holds up when loaded for quite a while. I have some of it, it's just that I so seldom load greasers, that I haven't got around to trying it yet.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks Ranch, I have a bit of the NASA lube, will give it a whirl.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the nasa seems to work well whether loading smokeless or black.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I had some SPG lubed bullets in an outside storeroom. Ants found them and were eating the lube out of the grooves.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Some time ago when I was active in BPCR I noticed that pulled bullets had green in the lube grooves. Moreover, some felt glued in and came out hard with a loud crack. The lube bands were green. I conducted an experiment by coating several pieces of brass with various lubes and leaving them for about a month. Most turned green, but the amount varied. Unfortunately I didn't keep permanent notes. IIRC, the worst was a lube by a guy, since deceased, out of California. Sagebrush produced a lot of green. NASA lube was pretty good. Common lubes such as SPG were in the middle. Again, apologies for my sketchy memory. Discussions of this phenomenon seemed to point to animal fat like lanolin as the main culprit. Probably an interaction with the brass. When I was shooting actively, I tried to use fresh loads for competition. I also went to paper patching, which avoids the problem altogether. I had some good photos, but they were in Photobucket, so held for ransom which I won't pay.

Just sharing my experience, FWIW.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I guess you can call me a lubeahaulic. I make my own, always have. Just today I pulled the .40-70 from the safe and grabbed a box or loads that were marked 2008 that had a 68 gr load of 2F Goex express but it was not marked if I used a lube wad under the bullet. They shot just as good as they did the last time I used some from this box. when I was shooting today I pulled a bullet and picked the wad out to see if I was using a lube wad, mostly I don't use lube with a PP bullet and I saw no green.
My lube concoction is a mix of one of these waxes, Ozokerite wax, Soy wax or B-Wax and Vaseline to the hardness consistency I like.
If you see green corrosion the lube most likely has animal fat product and it it's off a shelf it most likely has a preservative in it or the natural animal fatty acid.
I also use a Tallow I make from Deer or Buffalo fat that I render out very dry and hard like used for candles and it does not turn the brass green with my mix.

Last edited by Kurt71; 08/30/20.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks for the info guys. I’ve not seen green in the grooves yet but lanolin sounds like a reasonable suspect. I was seeing oxidized lead surface on bullets, quite a bit actually. Pulled some a month or so back that had been loaded for about 6 months. Inside the cases and grooves was normal looking but that lead forward of the case was terrible.

Took a couple of bullets today, lubed one with SPG and the other with NASA then tucked them out of the way. Going to “lube” a couple of cases and do the same. Will let you know what develops.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dan I use mainly 30:1 alloy but never noticed much discoloration..Only issue is long storage with lubed bullets drying out.. Jorge has a few boxes of Hindenburg's I sent him several years ago he's sending back for a remelt, seems easier than a relube job.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
What?! Jorge doesn’t know how to boil bullets in hot water and pan lube?

I’m shocked. grin

I am..........disturbed.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I’m shocked. grin

I'll let him address that one ! grin

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

I’m shocked. grin

I'll let him address that one ! grin

Jorge eschews manual labor...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I use the world famous Black Magic Lube from sharpsguy, it wont turn green, go hard, or migrate to contaminate paper patches or wads.

Trump Won!
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by gunner500
I use the world famous Black Magic Lube from sharpsguy, it wont turn green, go hard, or migrate to contaminate paper patches or wads.

And it smells good smile

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've been using DGL lube I picked up from the Shiloh Sharps folks in Big Timber for quite a few years now. I pan lube exclusively with it and have had 30:1 bullets sitting in the pan of DGL for several years at a time before using them and have never seen any signs of oxidation or anything out of the ordinary. I've also had loaded rounds with DGL sit for several years with no visible signs of oxidation.

Last edited by JGray; 09/08/20.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Kurt71
Originally Posted by gunner500

And it smells good smile

You bet, especially melted and flying out with 105 grains of holy black!

Trump Won!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
169 members (444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 23 invisible), 1,998 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.