Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#15218881 09/13/20
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Saw the darnedest thing yesterday. I went with my son to help him hang a stand on a part of the farm that we rarely ever hunt on. There is an underground stream that flows through a series of sinkholes, where it eventually comes out of the ground in the mouth of a small cave. These sinkholes average about 6 foot deep, and the water level is around a foot deep. Beavers have took up residence in them, and cut down a bunch of trees, robbed a nearby cornfield and brought corn back to the holes. They have to be living underground, as there is no other place for them.

I've never seen, or heard of beavers doing this, as all I've ever seen were living in a stream, where they could build dams. There's no way they can dam the water in a sinkhole up. Maybe they're too dumb to realize it, and just keep trying. They've evidently been there a while, as some of the trees have been cut down for a long time. It's probably a mile to the nearest stream that would be considered good beaver habitat.

I'm not going to bother them, as I don't guess they're bothering anything, and eventually will figure out that this ain't gonna work in the normal way that beavers usually live. Has anyone else on here ever seen them do something similar?

Last edited by JamesJr; 09/13/20.
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lots of beaver in the lower White River here and they tunnel into the banks as they cannot dam the river. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Beavers really ain’t all that smart—they are not engineers. They will try and build a damn on top off any running water they hear. They will even try to build a dam, in the middle of a road, on top of an electric speaker, if you have a recording of running water. They often burrow into a bank to build their homes.
That said—I have never heard of a beaver eating corn.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I just thought of something—Iam not real swift sometimes. If you saw corn stalks at the mouth of their holes they are probably using them for bedding.
Inside of a beavers home always has 2 levels—one for deficating and the other for sleeping. A beaver has to save his $hit as they re-eat it in order to digest what little nutrients there are in bark.

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kkahmann
I just thought of something—Iam not real swift sometimes. If you saw corn stalks at the mouth of their holes they are probably using them for bedding.
Inside of a beavers home always has 2 levels—one for deficating and the other for sleeping. A beaver has to save his $hit as they re-eat it in order to digest what little nutrients there are in bark.

One of the holes stinks bad.. Probably their outhouse.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Perhaps they went to the same schools you did?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a pair of them built a dam a couple hundred yards below a stream crossing I use to walk to one of my deer stands. It was higher than my Mucks.

I walked down the bank till I found their dam. I tore it out by hand after a few minutes, the rushing water ripped most of it out thr rest of the way. Ok cool. I was able to cross after a 1/2 hours.

Next day, they built it back. Which I figured they would but just not OVERNIGHT. I do Not have a lot of experience with these varmints.

So Same thing I ripped it out again.

They next day, SAME THING, however, they built it back with mostly rocks 😀😀. I guess they thought it was a natural environmental issue causing the failure. Some of these rocks were 1/2 the size of basketballs, probably 5 or 6 lbs.

I tore that sombitch down too, after that I think they decided to move way further down. Didnt affect me anymore.

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Perhaps they went to the same schools you did?

Jealousy..............because I have a farm, and he doesn't have a pot to piss in, or a window to throw it out of.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Beavers regularly make dens in tunnels in riverbanks . I rarely see a stick lodge here.
The corn stalks could be for bedding or they could be storing food. They typically stock up before winter by piling up green sticks and limbs under water so they have food to eat under ice close to their den.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JamesJr
One of the holes stinks bad.. Probably their outhouse.

Yer to far south James, move a little north............

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've seen beaver lodges near islands on lakes in Ontario. No dam needed.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When trapping as a kid we always called them bank beavers due to them digging dens in the banks. They'll do that over damming if the river/creek is big enough.

Last edited by Steve; 09/13/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I heard of ponds being destroyed because of beaver burrowing into the damn. the water makes it s way through the burrow and sometimes finds a way to the back side of the damn. If there is enough water pressure it will wash the damn out..

So if you see beavers in your pond shoot them as soon as possible.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beavers really ain’t all that smart—they are not engineers. They will try and build a damn on top off any running water they hear. They will even try to build a dam, in the middle of a road, on top of an electric speaker, if you have a recording of running water. They often burrow into a bank to build their homes.

I prefer pussy...

😬😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Inside of a beavers home always has 2 levels—one for deficating and the other for sleeping. [b]A beaver has to save his $hit as they re-eat it in order to digest what little nutrients there are in bark.
[/b]

That’s a filthy lie...And disgusting.

Fiber pills are way easier to take.

😎

“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Beavers always live in underground cavities that are not filled with water. The purpose of the dam is to raise the level of water enough to give them ingress and egress under water with safety from predators. They use deadwood and mud to make dams. Rivers with high enough water they don't dam, they just dig bank dens under the normal water level. They cut trees for food, not to make dams. I have see beavers set up summer residence near corn and move on when it's gone. That's what they've done in your situation. They have the safety of the sinkhole cavities to live in with easy access to the corn. No need for a dam. When the corns gone they will move on.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Beavers
I like em’.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

They use the corn stalks to build their dams. I guess they are too lazy to chew through another tree.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beavers aren’t smart. They eat they’re own dung. They dig tunnels or try and build their dams on top of a radio playing running water sounds - See Beavers aren’t smart.

Now, Kwg has the audacity to say beavers are lazy.

Worst call out thread ever...Except for the shît eating part. That was some good ole Fire throw down language.

Screw all, you all!

🖕🏾😎

“Molon Labe”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Beavers aren’t smart. They eat they’re own dung. They dig tunnels or try and build their dams on top of a radio playing running water sounds - See Beavers aren’t smart.

Now, Kwg has the audacity to say beavers are lazy.

Worst call out thread ever...Except for the shît eating part. That was some good ole Fire throw down language.

Screw all, you all!

🖕🏾😎

#fitting

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
149 members (257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 673, 18 invisible), 1,940 guests, and 931 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,659
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.