Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Interesting thread. I learned to use a good compass when working for an archaelogical/historical research firm in the 80s, and among others used the "pocket transit" Brunton and original Silva Ranger. But others have worked too.

These days mostly use a Garmin with the oNx app, but also always carry two good compasses, so I can't out-vote them.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My 40 year old Silva Huntsman had a big bubble in it when I took it out last month. I replaced it with a basic Brunton model. It does everything I need it to do for about $20

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My dad and many of the other hunters I grew up around used the old brass Marbles pin on compasses made in the Upper Peninsula. If you find an original one on ebay those are great.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by lvmiker
. . I have had Camenga compasses flip polarity twice. . . . A dependable compass that you are comfortable with is an absolute essential.

mike r

I had one several decades ago that stuck on it's axis
in full blown darkness at a most inopportune time.
May have flipped poles too, I don't know.
I might have thought it was an isolated incident,
but a friend bought one at a different time at a
different store, and his did the same thing.
A compass that costs about $90.00 shouldn't
fail in several lifetimes
My old boy scout baseplate Silva from the 1970's
still points true despite having a circle worn inside
from the needle.
I use a Silva guide or a small old brunton these days.
No problems with either one

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I should also add that I've used a Magellan GPS
2000 quite a bit too until it got to be full of
green fuzzy goo. I never used anything better
to navigate around the oil rigs in the gulf, or
running around the marshes in south Louisiana.
I still have it to remind me to not depend on
that fancy stuff too awful much without the
basics for a backup

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Suunto Optical Compass is far and away the highest quality, most accurate and easiest to use. This is the same as I have used for the last 30 years Surveying and Engineering all over the World. The amazing thing is that it currently cost the same as when I purchased mine. You hold it up to your right eye and look at the target with your left eye. Your brain superimposes the compass reading directly over your target. It's accurate to a half degree or less.

https://www.thecompassstore.com/51kb14360r.html

God Bless America
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by UncleAlps
The Suunto Optical Compass is far and away the highest quality, most accurate and easiest to use.
Nice usit. Does it have built-in declination adjustment?

Murphy was a grunt.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Suunto Optical Compass is far and away the highest quality, most accurate and easiest to use. This is the same as I have used for the last 30 years Surveying and Engineering all over the World. The amazing thing is that it currently cost the same as when I purchased mine. You hold it up to your right eye and look at the target with your left eye. Your brain superimposes the compass reading directly over your target. It's accurate to a half degree or less.

Not sure I agree but it really doesn't matter to most. I have this Brunton, https://www.thecompassstore.com/5005lm.html and most wouldn't find it to be inaccurate in the least.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

From your description, it sounds like it works similarly to a Suunto Clinometer, which I use often. Tried the compass many years ago, didn't like it in thick woods trying to sight on a landmark ahead of me; too many things to look at simultaneously. Also, you can't use the optical kind of compass to plot a course on a map like you can with a mirror-sight, rotating bezel type. Probably ok for shooting for the bearing to a target, but more difficult to use to run an already-determined bearing.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,350
Posts18,468,852
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.