Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Ive only got a nephew to pass things to, no kids. I dont have a vast amount but still its more than I need and it does get in the way in it takes up a bit of room.

I think I'm trending toward divesting of much of what I have and keeping select leverguns and bolt actions. Maybe pick up the Savage 99 takedown ive always wanted and do adventures and trips with the rifles left over that actually get used. No doubt concentrating efforts on going places and enjoying the moment is more precious than "things".

I want to actually do some hunting with a 348 win or my 348 ackley, and moose would be a fun trip and worthy venture. Id so like to hunt some whith an savage 99 300 sav if i could find a decent one. Maybe a moose/caribou type of trip. The rest like can literally be done in my backyard.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Came to the same conclusion several years ago. Been selling off excess guns and loading components since. I sell some then take a break from it for a while. Then sell some more. I'll keep some left hand bolts and several leverguns. May buy some more guns if the fancy takes me, but won't let the herd get too large again.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I took this to the extreme. Went from 40+ guns 10 years ago down to 7. 3 pistols, 2 shotguns, and 2 rifles. Have an air rifle and crossbow as well. But that’s it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Last edited by 358WCF; 09/03/20.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I think I'll keep a few Ruger No. 1 rifles, an old Trapdoor, and a Sharps for single shots. Also have a Mauser VZ24 and an O3 Springfield for recreation and history. Other than that I'm keeping

Ruger compact 338rcm
30-30 levergun
1886 45-70
2 of my model 71 leverguns
Ruger GSR 308
One winchester 1895 rifle

The rest need to go.

I plan on finding a nice savage 99 takedown in 300 sav and I'm happy. So if I can go from 100+ down to around 14-15 units it will be perfect and managable.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Crazy gun buying for decades

Don't waste the time you have left selling guns.......

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by DanGilbertTX
I took this to the extreme. Went from 40+ guns 10 years ago down to 7. 3 pistols, 2 shotguns, and 2 rifles. Have an air rifle and crossbow as well. But that’s it.

I haven't gone quite that far but getting close. It's liberating to purge the excess stuff in life. i'd much rather spend my time and energy doing the things I like to do than buying, storing, and maintaining piles of crap collecting dust.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by brydan

I haven't gone quite that far but getting close. It's liberating to purge the excess stuff in life. i'd much rather spend my time and energy doing the things I like to do than buying, storing, and maintaining piles of crap collecting dust.

This is pretty much where I got to. In my 20s I had zero responsibilities and few bills so had a (relatively) high disposable income that I could spend on buying guns I wanted to play with. I could also go spend 4 hours at the range on Saturday if I wanted to or even leave work early to shoot for 4 or 5 hours. I probably bought/traded 30+ guns in my 20s. Then in my late 20s - late 30s both grandfathers and my father passed away. I inherited another 20+ guns.

And then....., I got married and had kids. There went all my disposable income and time. My daughters are now in High School and have no interest in hunting and little interest in shooting. I realized I would rather have the money to spend on them and my wife now than holding on to guns I no longer shot/used and leaving them to sell them all at a serious loss if for some reason I die early. I have seen that happen several times to friends and their families and didn't want my wife/daughters to have to deal with all of that. I pared it down to things I actually use without any bias of sentimentality. If I hadn't used it in the past 2 years I got rid of it. If I get in to PRS or some other shooting sport after my girls are out of college then I can always buy another gun or three. Even with the paperwork, it is a lot easier to buy a gun than it is to sell it.

Last edited by DanGilbertTX; 09/07/20.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’d have a hard time getting down to a few. How can you have less than 5, no wait 6 seven mags????

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I only have a 30-06. No magnums. Just 1 rifle. Does all that I ask of it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Maybe its time to cash it out and put the funds to an hunting trip in a location ive always wanted to go and give a try.

This. Do this.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Several years ago, started gifting to kids and grand kids. (1) Didn't want my wife to have to deal with distributing them after I died. (2) Figured the young'uns could start using and enjoying them now, instead of waiting X number of years. Significant herd thinning at that time.

Glad I did it when I did it. Nearly died in March of this year. Most of what was left was sold to pay bills. Down to a .22, a shotgun, and three centerfire rifles. May still buy/sell/tinker with a few rifles in the future. But, not to the same extent as in the past...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I only have a 30-06. No magnums. Just 1 rifle. Does all that I ask of it.

Nothing wrong with that

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
I gifted my nephew a perfect blued Colt Python and a s&w model 13 3" and an s&w 29-3 44mag. I never even shot these ones so the nephew has some nice revolvers in his early 20's and he'll never need to buy any in his lifetime now.

He's got enough rifles so I'll sell those off and raise a little cash. After I dismiss enough of them I'd like to pick up that 300 savage or have a Browning BLR turned into a 35 Whelan. A few leverguns and a couple bolt actions is the mission. Perfect for a left hander like myself.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Plans are to have something in place when "I go under." I do not have any relatives who care about firearms. Also, when an estate with firearms lacks any plan sharks will circle. The people who were lined up to help are my age and not in good health. Might be a good time to turn some of these guns.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been thinking of paring the assortment down for some time, but never acted on it. Likely be making a big move in a year, so will start selling most of them off shortly. Keep a few.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
. . . . If I hadn't used it in the past 2 years I got rid of it. . .

I started on this ^ ^ ^ some time back, but
something always gets in the way. I sent the
expensive knives away, and the few pieces
of vanity jewelry. I'd rather have the money
than have some methhead sell my goods for
pennies on the dollar.
Things have changed drastically in the last
few decades

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I rode out a Cat 4 hurricane at home because I have too much to move and too much to leave to looters. Still here, running generator, it’s Day 19, no power yet and it’s hottern Hell.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Roundball1
Plans are to have something in place when "I go under." I do not have any relatives who care about firearms. Also, when an estate with firearms lacks any plan sharks will circle

I used to belong to a large fishing club and there were a couple guys we refered to as the vultures. They would start cozying up to old timers with good collections that were in poor health trying to weazle their way into a big haul. It was sickening to watch but they're out there.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Borchardt
I rode out a Cat 4 hurricane at home because I have too much to move and too much to leave to looters. Still here, running generator, it’s Day 19, no power yet and it’s hottern Hell.

Sounds pretty miserable. I guess some of the recent cool-ish fronts haven't provided you any relief. Hang in there.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 68 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.